Book it

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

oxpatchreb
All American
All American

rebeljim wrote:
They also spend more money on their BB teams than we do. We spend less than anyone in the country. So if u spend more, your program should be better, we don't. Can u understand this??? I'm beginning to wonder.
This is what's called a BOOM.

http://title-ix.findthedata.org/q/15246 ... ginia-make

http://title-ix.findthedata.org/q/4177/ ... iana-spend

And the piece de resistance...

http://title-ix.findthedata.org/q/7669/ ... ippi-spend
L. S. WHO?
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebeljim wrote: They also spend more money on their BB teams than we do. We spend less than anyone in the country. So if u spend more, your program should be better, we don't. Can u understand this??? I'm beginning to wonder.
http://fansnthestands.hbcufannation.com ... -the-same/

In 2011, VCU spent $2,324,111 on basketball. Butler spent $2,822,892.

http://blogs.commercialappeal.com/dan_w ... itter.html

Ole Miss spent $2.5 million.

Obviously, I don't understand.
Some Random Dude
Chucky_38
All American
All American

lewindha wrote:SEC basketball has not gotten tougher. 4 tourney teams this year. If there was ever a chance to jump on the Tourney wagon, it was this year. SEC basketball is down and we still can't take advantage.

I was happy when he was hired. After seeing his product, I too stopped watching. I keep up with them and if they're on TV I'll watch them, but I don't go out of my way like I used to to get to the Tad Pad for games.

I don't think there is any way he's fired this year. And only losing one major contributor could be great for next year. Although, that one guy is Henry. That's a big loss. Given all that and the "next year" excuses. What if he doesn't get us in the tourney next year? Will we hear "next year" again? How many times do we hear it before it's not an excuse anymore?
Ok, Barnes made the dance three times in 11 years right? Evans made it twice in 8 years right? AK has done better than both in every category but dancing and hes done it in six years. Lets give the man his 8 years and see if he dances back to back. Because if he does, many of you will be flat wrong. If AK makes the tourney next year, he will have achieved "The only stat matters in college basketball" PLUS all the other things he has done with a terrible program. One NIT win this year and he pulls his average wins per year up to 21. You can spew weaker competition all day, thats fine. But if we have to allow that, you have to allow that neither Barnes nor Evans have won as consistently or even been as consistently competitive in the SEC than AK has. The only thing he lacks is a couple "one and dones" in the Dance, and if he gets that, by all your accounts, he should be the greatest coach in Ole Miss basketball history. If he doesn't, fire him and lets see what Purdue's assistant coach can do with our program. Cause thats the kinda coach we will attract.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

Chucky_38 wrote:
lewindha wrote:SEC basketball has not gotten tougher. 4 tourney teams this year. If there was ever a chance to jump on the Tourney wagon, it was this year. SEC basketball is down and we still can't take advantage.

I was happy when he was hired. After seeing his product, I too stopped watching. I keep up with them and if they're on TV I'll watch them, but I don't go out of my way like I used to to get to the Tad Pad for games.

I don't think there is any way he's fired this year. And only losing one major contributor could be great for next year. Although, that one guy is Henry. That's a big loss. Given all that and the "next year" excuses. What if he doesn't get us in the tourney next year? Will we hear "next year" again? How many times do we hear it before it's not an excuse anymore?
Ok, Barnes made the dance three times in 11 years right? Evans made it twice in 8 years right? AK has done better than both in every category but dancing and hes done it in six years. Lets give the man his 8 years and see if he dances back to back. Because if he does, many of you will be flat wrong. If AK makes the tourney next year, he will have achieved "The only stat matters in college basketball" PLUS all the other things he has done with a terrible program. One NIT win this year and he pulls his average wins per year up to 21. You can spew weaker competition all day, thats fine. But if we have to allow that, you have to allow that neither Barnes nor Evans have won as consistently or even been as consistently competitive in the SEC than AK has. The only thing he lacks is a couple "one and dones" in the Dance, and if he gets that, by all your accounts, he should be the greatest coach in Ole Miss basketball history. If he doesn't, fire him and lets see what Purdue's assistant coach can do with our program. Cause thats the kinda coach we will attract.
Not for me. I want steady, step by step, measurable improvement. AK hasn't shown the ability to improve at all. His SEC record is a mishmash of below .500, at .500 and one season of 9-7. His record in high pressure, win and you're in games (both SECT and NCAA bubble games) is horrific. He wins 20 games a year because he plays a pathetic OOC "preseason" schedule. That's not what I consider "greatest coach of all time" qualifications.

I will give him credit for winning a bunch of games in the regular season. What else is there to give him credit for? Are we feared by other SEC teams for being a 'tough out'? Are we ranked a good portion of every season? Are we on ESPN all the time because we play so hard and beat high profile teams alot (more than once every couple seasons)? Has he improved the program? Has he taken advantage of the IPF to create a better, more focused, more refined team atmosphere?

Bottomline, are we a better program than when he took over? The answer (right now) is no. Now, if he were to go to the dance next year and win one game, he'd only buy himself another season, imo. If he goes next year and wins 2 or 3, then he buys himself 2 more years. And if he continues to go to the dance for a few more years, then yes, he is back in my (and I would hope others) good graces, until and unless things get worse.

You seem to think I want AK to fail. I don't. I want him to succeed. If he turns our program around and starts going to the dance and winning a few games here and there and makes us competitive in the SEC again, how is that a bad thing? Why would I be anything but happy about that? I simply believe, at this point in time, considering his past 6 years of performance, that we should be planning to replace him in 1 or 2 years because he has not improved our program. That's my position, that's my argument, that's my one and only concern. He has not improved our program after 6 years.

And I'm getting really sick and tired of people using the "no other coach worth a D*** will come here" argument. There's no way to know WHO will come here in 1 or 2 years because there are too many variables that will change between now and then (AD, facilities, football success/failure, whether Archie has a hand in the selection process, the records of other coaches that we might want, AK's performance over the next 2 years, fundraising, the new AD's marketing strategy, etc). So stop using it. If we were planning to fire AK right now, today, then you can talk about who's out there and who we would want and who wouldn't come here. But until we are PLANNING to or HAVE fired him, stop it. It makes you look like scared little girls.
L. S. WHO?
StrongRebel
2nd String
2nd String

Chucky_38 wrote: Ok, Barnes made the dance three times in 11 years right? Evans made it twice in 8 years right? AK has done better than both in every category but dancing and hes done it in six years. Lets give the man his 8 years and see if he dances back to back. Because if he does, many of you will be flat wrong. If AK makes the tourney next year, he will have achieved "The only stat matters in college basketball" PLUS all the other things he has done with a terrible program. One NIT win this year and he pulls his average wins per year up to 21. You can spew weaker competition all day, thats fine. But if we have to allow that, you have to allow that neither Barnes nor Evans have won as consistently or even been as consistently competitive in the SEC than AK has. The only thing he lacks is a couple "one and dones" in the Dance, and if he gets that, by all your accounts, he should be the greatest coach in Ole Miss basketball history. If he doesn't, fire him and lets see what Purdue's assistant coach can do with our program. Cause thats the kinda coach we will attract.

Unless it is a coach who has lived or grown up in Mississippi. I sadly say that we will not be able to attract a Purdue assistant.

This is the number one reason why the Good Ole Boy network is so prevalent is due to the fact that you have to be from Mississippi to appreciate living there. The perception of Mississippi is so negative that very few are interested in an excellent opportunity in the state. Mississippi is the Hospitality State but it is built around a two degrees of separation political and social system that inhibits outsiders from feeling truly comfortable in the state. Moving away and coming home is the only way for Mississippi to get relevant experience from outside the state besides a few military guys liking being stationed here and retiring here after their service. Mississippians trade with other Mississippians. As much as it pains me but this is the fact of why there have only been a few from outside the state that have come and stayed.
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Tuberville and Evans were not from here and we embraced them both. Win and we will embrace you.
StrongRebel
2nd String
2nd String

you missed my point.
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

No because you really made two points....in addition to the tired "perception " excuse for failure, you said our social system precludes outsiders from feeling comfortable here. Well Tuberville, Evans and even Dan Mullen were all made to feel very comfortable in Mississippi because they gave the fans what they wanted. In the case of Tubby an improved football program and in the case of Evans a classy basketball program that made it to the Dance and in the case of Mullen Egg Bowl victories. Tubby left for a bigger program in a State with similar "perception " issues. Evans left to be closer to ailing parents. And by some accounts Mullen has passed up opportunities to stay. Mississippi is not our problem. In football we are still living with the results of the hasty Cutcliffe decision and in Basketball we just hired the wrong man.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Rebchuck18 wrote:No because you really made two points....in addition to the tired "perception " excuse for failure, you said our social system precludes outsiders from feeling comfortable here. Well Tuberville, Evans and even Dan Mullen were all made to feel very comfortable in Mississippi because they gave the fans what they wanted. In the case of Tubby an improved football program and in the case of Evans a classy basketball program that made it to the Dance and in the case of Mullen Egg Bowl victories. Tubby left for a bigger program in a State with similar "perception " issues. Evans left to be closer to ailing parents. And by some accounts Mullen has passed up opportunities to stay. Mississippi is not our problem. In football we are still living with the results of the hasty Cutcliffe decision and in Basketball we just hired the wrong man.
hasty Cutcliffe decision, u mean u thought we should've kept him?? Unreal.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
StrongRebel
2nd String
2nd String

Rebchuck18 wrote:No because you really made two points....in addition to the tired "perception " excuse for failure, you said our social system precludes outsiders from feeling comfortable here. Well Tuberville, Evans and even Dan Mullen were all made to feel very comfortable in Mississippi because they gave the fans what they wanted. In the case of Tubby an improved football program and in the case of Evans a classy basketball program that made it to the Dance and in the case of Mullen Egg Bowl victories. Tubby left for a bigger program in a State with similar "perception " issues. Evans left to be closer to ailing parents. And by some accounts Mullen has passed up opportunities to stay. Mississippi is not our problem. In football we are still living with the results of the hasty Cutcliffe decision and in Basketball we just hired the wrong man.
I had a long response but I decide I would go with this instead blah, blah, blah... I did not make any excuses for failure.

Tubs/Evans were both assitant coaches when hired and left as soon as another offer came about. Do you think they left because the opportunity was greater or was it for other REASONs (not excuses).

My reason (not excuse) was going off the basis that you and many other fans have stated numerous times (over, and over) that we should only be hiring PROVEN HEAD COACHES or ADMINISTRATORS. WE ARE OLE MISS. I gave a reason as to why Ole Miss hasn't in general ever gotten a PROVEN HEAD COACH to come and coach here that didn't have some ties to the state by either growing up in the state or having spent time earlier in their career here. I never stated Ole Miss fans did not support people from out of state. The social issues I spoke of were different from that mainly history and perception from people from outside the deep south.

But I guess you get to define your excuses as criticism. You get to be critical of everything, and I was not making excuses just making a basic observation as to why Ole Miss has never been able to make a hire of a PROVEN HEAD COACH with no ties to Mississippi.
OMNOB 1A
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I still have yet to hear a real fact based argument, with facts to support said argument, that makes AK the "wrong hire" with regards to his accomplishments as compared to those coaches that came before him and also in comparison to coaches of his ilk.

This whole new breed of Ole Miss fan scares me to quite honest. And not because I'm afraid of success, not because I'm against a "new World order" in regards to the University and it's athletics, not because I am "old school", and not because I am fine with mediocre results of the field, court, etc.

I'm scared a bit because this sort of attitude is akin (at least to me, and by all means, let the bashing begin) to the "occupy______" movement. By b-wording and moaning, all of the sudden things are going to go the way we want them to go because we stood up and said so.

Admittedly, maybe my attitude is bad too, but, I try to look at things from a realistic point of view. We're not Texas, we're not Ohio State, we're not Southern Cal.

We're Ole Miss.

And I am uber proud of that, but, I also know that demands against coaches without the financial, repute, and attractive location (to name a few) put us at a bit of a disadvantage.

Surely you Rebel Faithful know this.

In my very humble opinion, we should get behind the coaches we have that have shown their worth and assist them in their endeavors. AK ( Bianco too), deserve that in my estimation. They have far surpassed their predecessors and have earned our support.

This message is delivered and endorsed by me, OMNOB 1A, thanks for reading.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

OMNOB 1A wrote:I still have yet to hear a real fact based argument, with facts to support said argument, that makes AK the "wrong hire" with regards to his accomplishments as compared to those coaches that came before him and also in comparison to coaches of his ilk.

This whole new breed of Ole Miss fan scares me to quite honest. And not because I'm afraid of success, not because I'm against a "new World order" in regards to the University and it's athletics, not because I am "old school", and not because I am fine with mediocre results of the field, court, etc.

I'm scared a bit because this sort of attitude is akin (at least to me, and by all means, let the bashing begin) to the "occupy______" movement. By b-wording and moaning, all of the sudden things are going to go the way we want them to go because we stood up and said so.

Admittedly, maybe my attitude is bad too, but, I try to look at things from a realistic point of view. We're not Texas, we're not Ohio State, we're not Southern Cal.

We're Ole Miss.

And I am uber proud of that, but, I also know that demands against coaches without the financial, repute, and attractive location (to name a few) put us at a bit of a disadvantage.

In my very humble opinion, we should get behind the coaches we have that have shown their worth and assist them in their endeavors. AK ( Bianco too), deserve that in my estimation. They have far surpassed their predecessors and have earned our support.

The only fact I need is no tourney appearances. Like, I said, I supported his hiring. I thought he did a good job at cincy when huggins was fired. I ended up not liking his style and he CANNOT get us to the tourney. Others have done it AT Ole Miss with(by most everyone's here admission) less talent.
Some Random Dude
Chucky_38
All American
All American

lewindha wrote:
OMNOB 1A wrote:I still have yet to hear a real fact based argument, with facts to support said argument, that makes AK the "wrong hire" with regards to his accomplishments as compared to those coaches that came before him and also in comparison to coaches of his ilk.

We're Ole Miss.

The only fact I need is no tourney appearances. Like, I said, I supported his hiring. I thought he did a good job at cincy when huggins was fired. I ended up not liking his style and he CANNOT get us to the tourney. Others have done it AT Ole Miss with(by most everyone's here admission) less talent.
Ok Eric. Well he will be our coach next year. So if we make the tourney and get that appearance? What say you then?
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

Chucky_38 wrote:
Ok Eric. Well he will be our coach next year. So if we make the tourney and get that appearance? What say you then?
Why does one tourney appearance in 7 seasons make you fine with him being our coach? Lowered expectations much?
L. S. WHO?
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

If he makes the tourney next year, I'm sure he'll get an extension. Doesn't change the fact that I feel we should've already parted ways. Before this season.

If he turns it around, I'll be happy that Ole Miss is winning. I still don't like his style and I'm not crazy about him as a person.
Some Random Dude