AK to UAB?

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

UAB has fired Mike Davis as it's men's basketball coach, CBSSports.com has confirmed.

An announcement is expected this afternoon.
The development was first reported by ESPN.com.

Davis spent six seasons at UAB but made just one NCAA tournament. The Blazers were 15-16 this season. They tied for fifth in Conference USA. Ssources have told CBSSports.com that UAB might try to lure Andy Kennedy from Ole Miss. Kennedy played at UAB under legendary coach Gene Bartow.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... ix-seasons

IF this happens, who do you want? More importantly who is on the search committee?
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

bleuwolfe wrote:UAB has fired Mike Davis as it's men's basketball coach, CBSSports.com has confirmed.

An announcement is expected this afternoon.
The development was first reported by ESPN.com.

Davis spent six seasons at UAB but made just one NCAA tournament. The Blazers were 15-16 this season. They tied for fifth in Conference USA. Ssources have told CBSSports.com that UAB might try to lure Andy Kennedy from Ole Miss. Kennedy played at UAB under legendary coach Gene Bartow.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... ix-seasons

IF this happens, who do you want? More importantly who is on the search committee?
If this happens, we can save a TON of money. AK's buyout is null and void (or more accurately, UAB's problem) and we can promote one of our assistant coaches to the HC spot for a very small salary. Give him 2 or 3 years as a placeholder/bargain coach. Then let the new AD perform a real search with a brand new arena in the works. Or, maybe the assistant will be killing it by then and we won't even need a new coach. Either way, I don't care.

This is a best case scenario for us. PLEASE let this happen.
Last edited by oxpatchreb on Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L. S. WHO?
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I would at least call Stevens at Butler and Shaka Smart at VCU. After they turn us down I would call Bryce Drew. His wife is the daughter of Keith Thibodeaux and Kathy Tibodeaux of Jackson (ballet magnificat ) so he may listen. Wouldn't that be something...from breaking our hearts to coaching our team.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Rebchuck18 wrote:I would at least call Stevens at Butler and Shaka Smart at VCU. After they turn us down I would call Bryce Drew. His wife is the daughter of Keith Thibodeaux and Kathy Tibodeaux of Jackson (ballet magnificat ) so he may listen. Wouldn't that be something...from breaking our hearts to coaching our team.
If State doesn't call him first.
Some Random Dude
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

This talk has been going on for about a week on some c-usa boards. Saw it on a tiger high board about a week ago. If Ak leaves, I bet he takes his commits with him. Don't know what he'll do, but hope he stays, and I really think he does. C-usa is a dead conference. If he does leave us for them, then that speaks wonders as to where our program is. And that just shows u how hard it is to get good players here.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

If it's that hard to get good players here, then why do we care if he takes his recruits with him. They're not good, are they?

I don't think he leaves, either. UAB probably couldn't tell him what conference they'll be in next year.

And it will speak wonders as to where our program is if he leaves. The spot he put it in. Not going to the tournament in so long has made the fan base bored. Nothing to get excited about. I won't be upset if he leaves, but I doubt he does.
Some Random Dude
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

lewindha wrote:If it's that hard to get good players here, then why do we care if he takes his recruits with him. They're not good, are they?

I don't think he leaves, either. UAB probably couldn't tell him what conference they'll be in next year.

And it will speak wonders as to where our program is if he leaves. The spot he put it in. Not going to the tournament in so long has made the fan base bored. Nothing to get excited about. I won't be upset if he leaves, but I doubt he does.
Where did I say the players weren't good? Said how hard it is to get players, learn to read. For the record, if Buckner and Holloway come back, we better go to the big dance or AK better have a very good reason why not. I think it's dance or him leave.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebeljim wrote:
lewindha wrote:If it's that hard to get good players here, then why do we care if he takes his recruits with him. They're not good, are they?

Where did I say the players weren't good? Said how hard it is to get players, learn to read. For the record, if Buckner and Holloway come back, we better go to the big dance or AK better have a very good reason why not. I think it's dance or him leave.
I can read. I just get confused. It's hard to get good players. But many here say we have more talent on campus now than we've ever had. Maybe you're saying he's a good recruiter. But if he's such a great recruiter and we have more talent than we've ever had. Aaaaaaaaaand the SEC is so down right. How come we no NCAA tourney?
Some Random Dude
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

lewindha wrote:
rebeljim wrote:

I can read. I just get confused. It's hard to get good players. But many here say we have more talent on campus now than we've ever had. Maybe you're saying he's a good recruiter. But if he's such a great recruiter and we have more talent than we've ever had. Aaaaaaaaaand the SEC is so down right. How come we no NCAA tourney?
I've never said that because it's not true. The team that went to the sweet 16 had the most talent in my opinion.
Last edited by rebeljim on Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deadset
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

I mean come on, I ripped him on AK before
But in reality he fits for the here and now. But
It is f-ing stupid to let him go and hire an assistant
For couple of years with out even trying to fix this
Problem with our program! Shocka would be my first
if AK leaves!
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Steve Prohm (although he may wait for an opening at his alma mater Bama)
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebeljim wrote: I've never said that because it's not true. The team that went to the sweet 16 had the most talent in my opinion.
I agree with that. That team was special and got beat by the champs.

But, there are many folks that feel like what we have now is the best collective talent we've ever had. Personally, I think we have talent. A fair amount of it. But, I agree with RebChuck that it is pure athletic talent and not necessarily basketball talent. That can be good or bad. IMO, it's bad because we don't have a coach that can take that raw natural talent and mold it into basketball talent.

You can win with that talent against far inferior teams like most of our OOC schedule. When you get into conference against teams with equal talent, but better coaching you get exposed. We came closer this year, IMO, to breaking through with those close overtime conference losses, than we have in a while. And towards the end of the season, they were starting to pull out those close wins. After six years, though, that little run at the end of the season is too little too late.

But, I've want him gone for a couple of years, now, and I know he'll be back next year at the least. They had better not extend his contract this year. And if he squeaks in next year and they extend him, I may be done with basketball all together. He needs to leave no doubt next year when the committee starts picking teams.
Some Random Dude
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I hope he does go to UAB if they call.

But, if he does, IMO, it will show you what type of person he is after the loyalty Ole Miss showed him after the Cincy incident.
Some Random Dude
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Ben Garrett ‏ @SpiritBen Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Obviously, Murphy Holloway has heard the UAB rumblings. "@BIGmurf_31: No AK no murf. AKs army #rebelnation"

Ben Garrett ‏ @SpiritBen Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Yes, UAB is interested in Andy Kennedy. Kennedy (predictably) had no comment when I contacted him this afternoon.
mascott
3rd String
3rd String

Does this mean some of you want him now? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! :roll:
scott