So what do you folks think...

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

about this upcoming season. Everyone says he's done well in recruiting. We've got all but one player coming back.

He HAS to make the tourney this coming year. But what if he does make it, and then not the next season?

I've made it well known that I want Kennedy gone yesterday. My opinion is that after 6 years, he needs to go the tourney and have some sustained success(making the tourney at least a few years in a row). One tourney isn't going to change my mind about Kennedy. I'll be happy to get back to the NCAA, of course. But after the LONG leash they've given him, I think he needs to make the tourney for next 3/4 years.
Some Random Dude
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

lewindha wrote:about this upcoming season. Everyone says he's done well in recruiting. We've got all but one player coming back.

He HAS to make the tourney this coming year. But what if he does make it, and then not the next season?

I've made it well known that I want Kennedy gone yesterday. My opinion is that after 6 years, he needs to go the tourney and have some sustained success(making the tourney at least a few years in a row). One tourney isn't going to change my mind about Kennedy. I'll be happy to get back to the NCAA, of course. But after the LONG leash they've given him, I think he needs to make the tourney for next 3/4 years.
with the talent and experience he has coming back, he needs to do more than just make the tournament this year.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

JustBlues wrote:
lewindha wrote:about this upcoming season. Everyone says he's done well in recruiting. We've got all but one player coming back.

with the talent and experience he has coming back, he needs to do more than just make the tournament this year.
That's just it. I'm not expecting a final four or anything like that. I will be happy just to get back to the tourney. Of course, I'd love a deep run, but I'm perfectly happy with a respectable showing(maybe win one game or two). But, I'm just curious how some of his supporters would feel if he made it this coming year and then fell back off the map?
Some Random Dude
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

Pretty much spot on. Plus what Blues said below as well. Pressure is on AK right now. It's *beep* or get off the pot time.
L. S. WHO?
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

lewindha wrote:
JustBlues wrote:

That's just it. I'm not expecting a final four or anything like that. I will be happy just to get back to the tourney. Of course, I'd love a deep run, but I'm perfectly happy with a respectable showing(maybe win one game or two). But, I'm just curious how some of his supporters would feel if he made it this coming year and then fell back off the map?
See u are still as negative as ever. Instead of worrying about 2 years from now, try and support the team THIS year. U sound like u are just waiting for something bad to happen. Oh right, I forgot, u like the negative nellie group.
Last edited by rebeljim on Tue May 15, 2012 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I will support this team this year. Just like I always support them. And you've gotta think long term to survive.

I simply asked a question to start a conversation on this 'OPINION' board.
Some Random Dude
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

rebeljim wrote:
See u are still as negative as ever. Instead of worrying about 2 years from now, try and support the team THIS year. U sound like u are just waiting for something bad to happen. Oh right, I forgot, u like the negative nellie group.
Yeah, uhhhh that's just about as incorrect a statement as I've ever seen on a message board. Lewinda didn't say a word about boycotting, not going to games, protesting about AK being our coach, withholding donations because of AK, or anything similar at all. In fact, based on his past posts and history here at RF, he'd be happier than a pig in slop if we went to the NCAA's and made a nice run this year and next.

The only thing he's doing is speculating about the near future (like an AD would have to do, long term planning) based on the current circumstances surrounding the Rebel basketball team and their current coach. That's it. Speculation and near future planning. Fleshing out what if scenarios. He's asking a valid and logical question about the theoretical "breaking point" with regard to AK's tenure as our HC. He's speculating about what Bjork should do if AK makes the NCAA's this year and loses in the first round and then misses completely next season.

We all know what will happen if the best case scenario plays out (AK goes to the dance and wins a few this season and next), so it's boring to talk about that. We all WANT that, we all believe that it's possible. We all truly HOPE that happens. So, it doesn't make for spirited and original discussion.

Lewinda is simply trying to look at the basketball program through our new AD's eyes (it's called "long term planning", something Boone was patently INCAPABLE of doing) and discuss what MIGHT happen if AK bumbles this next season or the '13 one.

Why is that bad? Ooohhhhhhhhhhh, that's right. We're bad Rebels if we utter a single word contrary to the Red and Blue sunglasses/KoolAid drinking/wooly mammoth party line. I forgot. Sorry.
L. S. WHO?
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

oxpatchreb wrote:
rebeljim wrote:
Yeah, uhhhh that's just about as incorrect a statement as I've ever seen on a message board. Lewinda didn't say a word about boycotting, not going to games, protesting about AK being our coach, withholding donations because of AK, or anything similar at all. In fact, based on his past posts and history here at RF, he'd be happier than a pig in slop if we went to the NCAA's and made a nice run this year and next.

The only thing he's doing is speculating about the near future (like an AD would have to do, long term planning) based on the current circumstances surrounding the Rebel basketball team and their current coach. That's it. Speculation and near future planning. Fleshing out what if scenarios. He's asking a valid and logical question about the theoretical "breaking point" with regard to AK's tenure as our HC. He's speculating about what Bjork should do if AK makes the NCAA's this year and loses in the first round and then misses completely next season.

We all know what will happen if the best case scenario plays out (AK goes to the dance and wins a few this season and next), so it's boring to talk about that. We all WANT that, we all believe that it's possible. We all truly HOPE that happens. So, it doesn't make for spirited and original discussion.

Lewinda is simply trying to look at the basketball program through our new AD's eyes (it's called "long term planning", something Boone was patently INCAPABLE of doing) and discuss what MIGHT happen if AK bumbles this next season or the '13 one.

Why is that bad? Ooohhhhhhhhhhh, that's right. We're bad Rebels if we utter a single word contrary to the Red and Blue sunglasses/KoolAid drinking/wooly mammoth party line. I forgot. Sorry.
Ditto.

And, I'm not waiting for something bad to happen. Bad things have already happened. No tourneys and the cab incident. Not to mention whatever happened with his wife claiming he couldn't 'perform'. None of that looks bad on the program or University?

If that's not bad, then what would I be waiting for?

I think I've been fairly positive lately in regards to most things Ole Miss. Kennedy is the exception. I'll never like him. But like Calipari, if he wins, I'll learn to tolerate him.
Some Random Dude
Chucky_38
All American
All American

If he doesn't make the tourney this year, can him. If he makes it this year but misses it next year, can him. Can't miss the tourney anymore for a while.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Chucky_38 wrote:If he doesn't make the tourney this year, can him. If he makes it this year but misses it next year, can him. Can't miss the tourney anymore for a while.
I agree. He's gotta make it in at least the next two years.
Some Random Dude
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

oxpatchreb wrote:
rebeljim wrote:

Wrong, all he does is complain. It'd be different if he didn't make every post so negative. Several on here are that way. Guess they have to use this board because the other boards get tired of their whinning. I'm not in the koolaid crowd. I've been down on the last SEVERAL football coaches we've had. And I think Bianco needs to go as well. But until we try and win in basketball, u can't hold AK to the same level u hold Freeze and Bianco. And again, don't whine before it's time. U can quote me on that.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

All I do is complain?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20164

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=20163

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20162

And I've been defending our only coach in a major sport that has had any sustained success in the past decade that you want fired.

Admit it, you hate me b/c I don't agree with you.
Some Random Dude
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

rebeljim wrote:
But until we try and win in basketball, u can't hold AK to the same level u hold Freeze and Bianco.

Wait... wut?
L. S. WHO?
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

lewindha wrote:All I do is complain?

And I've been defending our only coach in a major sport that has had any sustained success in the past decade that you want fired.

I feel a "nanny, nanny, boo, boo" post coming from Jim.
L. S. WHO?
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

lewindha wrote:All I do is complain?

That coach u keep defending is running our baseball program down. He didn't build it, Dan the man did. Of course I don't expect u to agree with that. Don't hate u, just get sick of your whinning. I believe AK hasn't had the chance to build the basketball program. U can't seem to grasp how hard it is to put a competitive team on the floor when the administration isn't trying, [see leaky roof over 45 year old arena]. That'll change now with Bjork. And if AK can't do it then, then show him the door. I just believe he deserves a fighting chance. U keep supporting Bianco, we'll see where he takes us. And it isn't looking good. Even though I want Bianco gone, I don't come on here every day yelling it.