Success & Failure

Baseball Related Discussions

Moderators: oxfordrebel, Rebel Security

StrongRebel
2nd String
2nd String

Okay I agree that Mike Bianco has both succeeded and failed the Ole Miss program.

On one hand he has built his own monument to himself in a program and a ballpark that is not only top quality but may be considered one of the best.

On the other hand from 2000-2011 there have been only 4 SEC programs that have not made it to the CWS. This can only be placed on his shoulders. Even though I do give Larry Templeton some of the blame as being Mississippi State's AD along with being head of the NCAA Baseball Tournament Selection Committee. I have to believe he did everything he could to keep Mike Bianco & Ole Miss from Omaha.

So I was reading a couple of articles today and now have changed my tune from saying Mike has at least 3 years to turn it around to he needs to be in a regional this year and needs to be in CWS by next season. I am not for firing him after this year but next year is his come to Jesus year.

I know some want him gone now and I can't disagree anymore. I look at Alabama in the 90's and see that their attendance has dropped significantly over the past decade to 50% of what it was in the late 90's. As a program we must not repeat what happen at Alabama, but to do that if we don't make it to Omaha by next year we need to make the right hire or we will end up like Alabama.

I guess my point is our risk of falling off in baseball like Alabama does not end with just the firing of Mike Bianco. The greatest risk is making the right hire because the odds of getting to Omaha does not increase with just the firing of Mike Bianco. You have to measure the risk of whether keeping Mike is greater than the unknown coach is? Now I feel that Mike has one year left to turn it around and then we need to take that risk, but there is a lot more downside possible if the hire is not the best qualified person available.

Couple of good articles
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012 ... e_the.html

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012 ... ndure.html