There may be some hope for y'all after all

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

bigtreydaddy
2nd String
2nd String

I'm proud of this board for seeing the positives from this game and not focusing squarely on the negatives. I fully expected to see at least a couple of you calling for Wommack's head again, but you've given credit where it's due. Having said that, I do AGREE that he's not a long-term answer, but he's what we've got this year and probably next year. At least he's obviously trying to coach up these kids, something that wasn't so clear with the previous staff.

I still don't wanna pull the trigger yet on calling for a bowl, but I'll amend my prior call of four wins and say we get at least five (but Ark, Aub, and Vandy sure look ripe, especially with two of those at home).

Another side note: Denzel Nkemdiche might be my new favorite player. I know we got him to get his brother, but whether we land him or not, I'm glad we've got Denzel. Kid plays with a chip on his shoulder and makes plays all over the field. He's becoming a more-than-serviceable linebacker--I think he'd be truly great if we had the talent at LB to allow him to play safety. Maybe in a few years.

Proud of our team and our fans today--haven't been able to say that on both counts in a while
hbsurvey23
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

I was really impressed with Denzel and also Prewitt last night. I know a lot of people are down on Bo right now, and he did make some terrible decisions and looked JUCO at times. However, he is the best option we have right now. I saw Chuck say that Bo at the helm is good for recruiting true qb's and I agree. I don't want qb recruits watching the wildcat for the rest of the season.......
Burrrrrrrr.... There's a cold front moving through Oxford.
theghostofcolonelreb
Scout Team
Scout Team

I love watching denzel and cody play. They hit hard and never quit.
The only two things in life that make it worth livin'...
Are guitars that tune good and firm feelin' women
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

i'm proud of the team. How could you not be?
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

bigtreydaddy wrote:I'm proud of this board for seeing the positives from this game and not focusing squarely on the negatives. I fully expected to see at least a couple of you calling for Wommack's head again, but you've given credit where it's due. Having said that, I do AGREE that he's not a long-term answer, but he's what we've got this year and probably next year. At least he's obviously trying to coach up these kids, something that wasn't so clear with the previous staff.

I still don't wanna pull the trigger yet on calling for a bowl, but I'll amend my prior call of four wins and say we get at least five (but Ark, Aub, and Vandy sure look ripe, especially with two of those at home).

Another side note: Denzel Nkemdiche might be my new favorite player. I know we got him to get his brother, but whether we land him or not, I'm glad we've got Denzel. Kid plays with a chip on his shoulder and makes plays all over the field. He's becoming a more-than-serviceable linebacker--I think he'd be truly great if we had the talent at LB to allow him to play safety. Maybe in a few years.

Proud of our team and our fans today--haven't been able to say that on both counts in a while

Really? Womack's head? The defense played outstanding, IMO. They had nothing to do with the KO return. That TD the sorry refs overturned? That was 3rd down, if that isn't overturned like it shouldn't have been, they may get a field goal. Now you're sitting at 26, maybe 29 with a field goal. Then the 3 INT's didn't help.

And say what you want about how I reacted after the Texas game. Last night proved to me that we could've played Texas closer. I'm not saying we could've beat them, but we shouldn't have given up that many yards or points. I know, we've gotten better and learned blah, blah. Last night proved that we have it in us. You've got to turn it on early in the season if we want to win 9/10 games in a season. It is what it is and we're trying to get back to that Cotton Bowl level or better. I get that.

And about us being small? That argument holds absolutely no water after last night. Our guys can play defense. DB's still need to learn to find the ball.

Bo is a wasted scholly? Wow. Aaron Rodgers was a juco transfer. I know, so was Schaeffer. It's a gamble, but a wasted scholly? Come on.

We made some bad passes. Was it Bo's shoulder? Or did he just make a bad pass? Moncrief gives up if he's covered. If he keeps running on at least one of those, he can break up the INT. Moncrief is the type of guy that you can throw to even if he is covered, IMO. He needs to know that and keep running.
Some Random Dude
bigtreydaddy
2nd String
2nd String

Uh, I think you're confusing me with somebody else, bubba--I never said anything about Bo or scholarships. But go ahead and get real defensive anyway if it makes you feel better.
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

lewindha wrote:
bigtreydaddy wrote:I'm proud of this board for seeing the positives from this game and not focusing squarely on the negatives. I fully expected to see at least a couple of you calling for Wommack's head again, but you've given credit where it's due. Having said that, I do AGREE that he's not a long-term answer, but he's what we've got this year and probably next year. At least he's obviously trying to coach up these kids, something that wasn't so clear with the previous staff.

Really? Womack's head? The defense played outstanding, IMO. They had nothing to do with the KO return. That TD the sorry refs overturned? That was 3rd down, if that isn't overturned like it shouldn't have been, they may get a field goal. Now you're sitting at 26, maybe 29 with a field goal. Then the 3 INT's didn't help.

And say what you want about how I reacted after the Texas game. Last night proved to me that we could've played Texas closer. I'm not saying we could've beat them, but we shouldn't have given up that many yards or points. I know, we've gotten better and learned blah, blah. Last night proved that we have it in us. You've got to turn it on early in the season if we want to win 9/10 games in a season. It is what it is and we're trying to get back to that Cotton Bowl level or better. I get that.

And about us being small? That argument holds absolutely no water after last night. Our guys can play defense. DB's still need to learn to find the ball.

Bo is a wasted scholly? Wow. Aaron Rodgers was a juco transfer. I know, so was Schaeffer. It's a gamble, but a wasted scholly? Come on.

We made some bad passes. Was it Bo's shoulder? Or did he just make a bad pass? Moncrief gives up if he's covered. If he keeps running on at least one of those, he can break up the INT. Moncrief is the type of guy that you can throw to even if he is covered, IMO. He needs to know that and keep running.

False
Dr.X
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

bigtreydaddy wrote:Uh, I think you're confusing me with somebody else, bubba--I never said anything about Bo or scholarships. But go ahead and get real defensive anyway if it makes you feel better.
I haven't been here very long but it certainly seems to me that he specializes in being overly defensive here.. and wearing his feelings on his sleeve.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

bigtreydaddy wrote:Uh, I think you're confusing me with somebody else, bubba--I never said anything about Bo or scholarships. But go ahead and get real defensive anyway if it makes you feel better.

Didn't say you did, buddy. I tend to lump all my thoughts into one post when I don't have time to post in 10 different posts. Sorry if you got 'defensive'.

Now with the sarcasm out of the way.

I have caught so much crap on here for my opinions. Now someone says our starting QB doesn't deserve his scholly, I try to defend him, and somehow I'm still the bad guy?
Some Random Dude
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

MageeRebel425 wrote:
lewindha wrote:

False
I saw what I saw. It looked like Moncrief ran his route, saw that he was covered and stopped running. Then he turned his head and saw the ball coming. Too late to make a play on it at that point. And maybe the pick still happens, but he had no chance to get there b/c he slowed up.

edit: Just tried to find a video of what I saw, but you could only see it on the replay they showed during the game.
Last edited by lewindha on Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some Random Dude
mpzreb17
All SEC
All SEC

General rules of thumb when dealing with INT's and incomplete passes:

If the receiver ran through, it's the QB's fault.
If the receiver stopped in his route, it's his own d*** fault.
If the receiver got his hands on the ball at all, it's his fault.

Yall be the judge now.
We Are Ole Miss
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

mpzreb17 wrote:General rules of thumb when dealing with INT's and incomplete passes:

Yall be the judge now.
Yeah, I'm not saying it wasn't a bad pass. But, on the replay it looked like Moncrief slowed up a little before he turned to look. Almost as if he thought, "I'm covered, surely they didn't throw the ball this way."
Some Random Dude
mpzreb17
All SEC
All SEC

lewindha wrote:
mpzreb17 wrote:General rules of thumb when dealing with INT's and incomplete passes:

Yall be the judge now.
Yeah, I'm not saying it wasn't a bad pass. But, on the replay it looked like Moncrief slowed up a little before he turned to look. Almost as if he thought, "I'm covered, surely they didn't throw the ball this way."
I say he slowed down too. Does it change the INT though for throwing into that coverage? Probably not. This is one of those situations where everyone is right. The ball should not have been thrown. Moncrief should not have slowed down.

Is it worth rescinding a scholarship? Uh, no. This is a kid who went from Juco to going up against the best team in football. This Alabama team can go toe to toe with every pro team right now. They may not win, but they've got enough day 1 and 2 picks on both sides of the ball to compete on that level. Every other game Bo has played in so far he has been a good QB. We all said, "we've got a QB this year." I think even Chuck said so.

A bad showing against Number 1 shouldn't negate that. Just because we said we had a QB this year doesn't mean anyone should've thought we had a Manning. We don't have a Spurlock or a Schaeffer and for that we should be thankful. We will win more games this year with Bo than we will without him, I guarantee it.

As a result of that, Lord only knows who comes in next season looking to be the star and lives up to it.
We Are Ole Miss
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

lewindha wrote:

Being small still hurts us. How much pressure did we get on Mcarron? Not much I can tell you. Having said that,our defense played their hearts out last night. They gave everything they had but you can definitely see a lack of talent at certain spots, especially DB. Wommack called a good game and had them ready which was very refreshing.

I'm pretty dissappointed in Bo at this point. Just like we heard Freeze say all camp, he'll make a play or a good drive, then turn around and do somethin bone-headed and it kills you. I know he was playing with a bad shoulder, but the decision making is what gets me the most. I hope this staff can get him where he needs to be and we see better play from him, because like others here, I also think he's our best option at QB.

Bama was probably the most talented team we'll see all season, and I think we put up a dam good fight, which gets me excited about this week. Go to Hell A&M. How nice would it be to give the new guys their first SEC road loss??!
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

This Alabama team can go toe to toe with every pro team right now.
:o :roll:

Slow down trooper, you're getting a little too excited...