5-7

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

Chucky_38
All American
All American

There is no reason that we should not beat Vandy tomorrow and get to a bowl. But I'm scared to freaking death we will blow it. Anyway, I just wanted to get some thoughts on what we would do if we ended up losing out. Do we consider it a successful first season for Freeze? Coming into the season I would have been thrilled to win five this year. But after being 5-3, I think I'd be pretty upset with not reaching six wins. I don't know, he's done a great job no doubt. I just feel like failing to reach a bowl this close would be a failure. Thoughts?
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Given all circumstances 5-7 would not be a success now. But stop freaking out. We should win this game. Trust him and trust those kids. We have more talent than most people think. We are better than Vandy. The first step is believing. You can do it. Now get some sleep for heavens sake.

I know pot calling kettle black about the sleep thing. But Eli just woke me up. He had trouble sleeping and was crying. Something about the Vandy game.....just kidding. It was just gas 8-)

Just got him back down. We're gonna win!
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

Rebchuck18 wrote:Given all circumstances 5-7 would not be a success now. But stop freaking out. We should win this game. Trust him and trust those kids. We have more talent than most people think. We are better than Vandy. The first step is believing. You can do it. Now get some sleep for heavens sake.

I know pot calling kettle black about the sleep thing. But Eli just woke me up. He had trouble sleeping and was crying. Something about the Vandy game.....just kidding. It was just gas 8-)

Just got him back down. We're gonna win!
I've said all along that I thought this staff was using 6-6 as the minimum threshold, despite what pundits said about last year's team. But I knew last year's record--not last year's team--of 2-10 was on the coaching staff. No way should that team have turned in the results it did. I believed in the Hugh Freeze hire and said so. He immediately proved to fans that he would win the games he was supposed to. Now let me put this another way: the fact that we are 5-4 means that we can be 6-4, 7-4 or 8-4, even if we fall short of the last and end up only 7-5. Let that sink in.

I think the likelihood is that both Ole Miss and Vandy end up 7-5, which would be fantastic for both. Vandy has never had back-to-back bowl seasons and could lose to us and beat Tennessee and Wake Forest. So actually we need this game with them more than they do. Does CHF convey that to the players? Oh, yes.

5-7 would be a disappointment at this stage but won't happen.
rebelbear
Head Coach
Head Coach

I definitely think we win tonight and I feel REALLY good about our chances with State...they are just not that good. So I think the real question is, if we go 7-5 is Freeze a lock for SEC Coach of the Year?
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebelbear wrote:I definitely think we win tonight and I feel REALLY good about our chances with State...they are just not that good. So I think the real question is, if we go 7-5 is Freeze a lock for SEC Coach of the Year?
Sumlin may have just locked it up.
Some Random Dude
Chucky_38
All American
All American

We are melting down as I feared. I'm with you guys. Losing out is a major disappointment. Especially after blowing a 17 point lead at home against Vandy. Embarrassing.
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

it's not that vandy can't play. it's what 38 said about blowing another lead. that is what hurt the most. you sit there watching, knowing there is nothing you can do about it and then bam!, your fears become reality.
deltarebel26
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

Look at the positives.... Auburn and Arkansas having come completely apart allowed us to get more than the 3non wins that we actually deserve. Thank goodness for them.
Chucky_38
All American
All American

We also won't have to worry about UT, AU or AR looking at Freeze cause 5-7 seasons don't usually sell coaches to bigger programs. We all just got ahead of ourselves and thought we were better than we were. We aren't good. We just aren't as bad as AU and AR. Its a tough pill to swallow, but 5 wins are greater than 2. And we do at least compete now.
wbrebel
Water Boy
Water Boy

I'm not surprised by the results last night. Disappointed but not surprised. Our defense, actually the whole team, is thin and undersized. They play well, but, when you're too small, down the stretch you run out of gas and get beat. Give this coach a couple of years to recruit some beef and then let's see where we are.
jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

I'm sorry but there is still no excuse to lose to vandy when you have a lead in the 4th at home with a bowl game on the line. Regardless of what some people may say, if we fail to gain eligibility after starting 5-3 it will not be a 'successful' season.
Chucky_38
All American
All American

I understand both sides of the argument. I've been trying to see the sunny side for the last 24 hours and I still don't believe myself. No excuse at all to lose to Vandy, at home, under the lights, with a bowl game on the line and a 23-6 lead. No freaking way that should happen. Vandy is not Bama or LSU or even MState. They don't have the depth to wear us down. Absolute horse crap and I'm still p'd about it.
BobReb
All SEC
All SEC

with a bowl game on the line and a 23-6 lead. No freaking way that should happen.
Gotta agree Chuck. I knew it in my gut as soon as they held us to 3 points. It was over. I hoped not but I felt it.
WE SHOULD NOT LOSE TO VANDY!
Sad thing is, this is 4 in a row, if I'm not mistaken. Not a lot to be proud of from my point of view.
(Written from Na Klang village, Thailand. "Watched" the game via gamecast.)
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

BobReb wrote:
with a bowl game on the line and a 23-6 lead. No freaking way that should happen.
Gotta agree Chuck. I knew it in my gut as soon as they held us to 3 points. It was over. I hoped not but I felt it.
WE SHOULD NOT LOSE TO VANDY!
Sad thing is, this is 4 in a row, if I'm not mistaken. Not a lot to be proud of from my point of view.
(Written from Na Klang village, Thailand. "Watched" the game via gamecast.)
WTH are you doing in Thailand?
Later,
Hagar
Memphis Jack
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Surely this wins the prize for the most remote Rebel faithful!!!