Ohio-Ole Miss in BBVA Bowl?

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

OhioCatFan
Water Boy
Water Boy

A local radio station in Athens, Ohio, is reporting that it's Ohio-Mississippi in the BBVA Bowl on Jan. 5. Can anyone here confirm this? Please feel free to visit bobcatattack.com, Ohio's primary independent fan board.

Go Ohio!
RushB
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's a possibility, but it probably depends on money, and the fact that the SEC won't be sending as many teams as it can to the bowls.

Southeastern Conference
The Southeastern Conference has ten bowl tie-ins.[12]
#1 Bowl Championship Series. The winner of the SEC Championship Game gains an automatic berth to a BCS bowl game, preferentially the Allstate Sugar Bowl.
#2 The Capital One Bowl must select the team with the best overall record among non-BCS playing SEC teams, or a team within one game of the best record.
#3-4 The Cotton Bowl Classic has first pick of remaining teams from the Western Division, and the Outback Bowl typically picks a remaining team from the Eastern Division.
#5 The Chick-fil-A Bowl selects after those two bowls.
#6 The Gator Bowl receives the sixth pick.
I am guessing we are here.>>>#7-8 The Music City Bowl and the Liberty Bowl work with the SEC office to determine the seventh and eighth picks.
#9 The BBVA Compass Bowl receives the ninth choice of SEC teams. In years where the SEC does not have nine bowl eligible teams, the BBVA Compass Bowl will select from the Sun Belt Conference instead.
#10 The Independence Bowl receives the tenth pick.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... redictions

Later,
RushB
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan
OhioCatFan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Thanks for the detail. I figure that this radio station that put this out on a tweet must know something. The MAC only has three official bowl tieins (first line bowls) and a bunch of secondary tie-ins. If this is true, then there must have already been some wheeling and dealing between bowls, which is known to have happened in past years. The wildcard for the MAC at this point is that it's possible that Kent State could end up in a BCS Bowl if they beat NIU in the MACC and finish higher than the highest ranked Big East team. KSU has already beaten Rutgers in head-to-head competition.

BTW, I like your tagline. Athens, Ohio, is a very liberal town, but I'm not one of them.
cajunrebel

God I hope not. That would be a terrible bowl game.
"I'm a solid verbal."

- Prospect name here
GeorgiaREB
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

By my count there are 8 SEC teams with better records than us, putting us in 9th place. Does Bama/UGA playing in the Title game move everyone up one spot?
1OLEMISSREBEL
All American
All American

REBELS BIRMINGHAM-BOUND?: With Florida beating Florida State and Missouri losing to Texas A&M Saturday, the Southeastern Conference will almost certainly not be able to fulfill all of his bowl tie-ins.

"What does that mean for Ole Miss, which finished the season 6-6 with a win over No. 25 Mississippi State Saturday night? Likely a trip to Birmingham, Ala., on Jan. 5 against a foe from the Big East Conference in the BBVA Compass Bowl.

The winner of next weekend's SEC Championship Game in Atlanta between No. 2 Alabama and No. 3 Georgia will face No. 1 Notre Dame in the BCS National Championship Game. Florida, which finished the season 11-1 and ranked No. 4, will likely move up to No. 3 in the BCS in a week. The Gators will presumably play in the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans.

The Compass Bowl and the AutoZone Liberty Bowl have the final two choices of SEC teams. Last year, the Liberty Bowl had the first choice among those two bowls. This year, however, the Birmingham-based bowl will select first.

"It's really not in our control," Liberty Bowl executive director Steve Ehrhart said Saturday night. "We're going to try to have some talks with the league. In the old days, the bowls were more in control. It's really in the hands of the league office and the contracts with the league. I'm hesitant to speak to them, but we'll have to work with the league throughout the week."

from Neal Mcready and Chase Parham..of rebel grove
Even a bad day as a Rebel is better than a good day with the dawgs!!!!
beachbumreb
2nd String
2nd String

Yeah, its looking like music city or Birmingham. Either way, I'm there and couldn't be more pleased!
Forward Rebels!
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

beachbumreb wrote:Yeah, its looking like music city or Birmingham. Either way, I'm there and couldn't be more pleased!

What scenario would put us in the Music City bowl? I would love for that to happen, but we would have had to win one more wouldnt we?
beachbumreb
2nd String
2nd String

From what I've gathered is that it's SEC record that they go by. Which is how a 6-6 (3-5) Ole Miss team could skip a 8-4 (4-4) state team. Again, I don't know for certain, just going by what I've read. Highly doubtful music city invites Vandy, more than likely Vandy goes to gator. State gets bumped all the way to Birmingham
Forward Rebels!
Fireman17
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

That would be epic lulz of MooU goes to Bham and we goto Music City.
mpzreb17
All SEC
All SEC

What a wasted bowl game if we have to play Ohio. They play second fiddle to tOSU and shouldn't even be considered an FCS program. I would rather play in Monroe (which is off the list thank god) than play BBVA. The good thing though is in Bham we would have homefield, being 2hrs from Oxford (at my driving which is irrelevant now from 2k mi away)
We Are Ole Miss
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

So your saying there's a chance!!!!!

http://blogs.clarionledger.com/um/2012/ ... scenarios/
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

MageeRebel425 wrote:So your saying there's a chance!!!!!

Man, it would be hilarious if the Gator AND the Music City passed on State. Per ESPN, they lost 4 of their last 5 by at least 17 points. The only win they had against a FBS school with a winning record was Middle Tennessee. Ouch!
Some Random Dude
CMB
2nd String
2nd String

lewindha wrote:

Man, it would be hilarious if the Gator AND the Music City passed on State. Per ESPN, they lost 4 of their last 5 by at least 17 points. The only win they had against a FBS school with a winning record was Middle Tennessee. Ouch!
All of their SEC wins were against SEC teams that are not going to a bowl and coaches have been fired.

We are ALMOST in the same category but.....we beat them......and we are "rebuilding with a new coach" rather than "should be rolling in year 4"

.....and honestly, their biggest win this year was against Tennessee. Again, at the moment we cannot say too much because we beat nearly the same teams but again, rebuilding with a new coach vs 4th year
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

CMB wrote:
lewindha wrote:

All of their SEC wins were against SEC teams that are not going to a bowl and coaches have been fired.

We are ALMOST in the same category but.....we beat them......and we are "rebuilding with a new coach" rather than "should be rolling in year 4"

.....and honestly, their biggest win this year was against Tennessee. Again, at the moment we cannot say too much because we beat nearly the same teams but again, rebuilding with a new coach vs 4th year
Right, different stages in the program speaks very loudly to me. Next year, maybe we can finish an A&M or LSU.
Some Random Dude