Play calls

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

Memphis Jack
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Does anyone know who calls the plays during the games? I know Freeze calls plays sometimes, but I'm sure not all plays. I'd like to know because I believe the play calling in the MSU game was a major factor in winning the game.
jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

It did seem like we opened it up offensively for the egg bowl. I hope we continue to call plays like that because I think had we done it all year long we may have won one of the other closer games.
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I also think that not making the personnel changes in the Red Zone made a huge difference in the Egg Bowl. A couple of those TD passes might not have even been called under the "switch qb's in the Red Zone" approach. I loved the play calling in the Egg Bowl and think it really took full advantage of the opportunities provided by Freeze's offense. I also think it was a good indicator of Freeze's growth and willingness to make adjustments as a HC. I thought he was going to stubbornly hold onto that personnel change philosophy. He won me over in this game.
rebelbear
Head Coach
Head Coach

I was kind of wondering down the stretch of the season if Freeze had gottn a little more conservative late in games so he didn't have to show a lot of plays before the Egg Bowl.
RebnPhilly
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

rebelbear wrote:I was kind of wondering down the stretch of the season if Freeze had gottn a little more conservative late in games so he didn't have to show a lot of plays before the Egg Bowl.
I certainly hope not as that is just a little too mullen-esque for me. We did show more offensively during the state game but I want to think that was because of what state's D was doing and not that we held back against other teams in order to surprise state.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

RebnPhilly wrote:
rebelbear wrote:I was kind of wondering down the stretch of the season if Freeze had gottn a little more conservative late in games so he didn't have to show a lot of plays before the Egg Bowl.
I certainly hope not as that is just a little too mullen-esque for me. We did show more offensively during the state game but I want to think that was because of what state's D was doing and not that we held back against other teams in order to surprise state.
I'd be very disappointed to find out that he held back against LSU, A&M, or Vandy, just to get the upper hand on State. I certainly don't think that's the case.
Some Random Dude
Memphis Jack
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Nor I.

Jack
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

There is a good article with Dan Warner on OMspirit, the jist was on offensive play calling this year. Basically the playbook was nowhere near utilized to the extent that it will be next year. Play calling and formation were constantly evolving as the year went along. For most of the year all that was ran was the base offense, as players became familiar they would began to add different packages.

Here is a quote that was very telling of where this team was at, "there were several times this year when we, as coaches, were aware of what we could adjust to in a game and we couldn't do it because the players just didn't know all the stuff yet. The longer they are in the system, the more we will be able to adapt during games and in our game planning."

Basically he was saying that they may see something in the film room early in the week and they had something that work, but they couldn't put it in because it would change players assignments and rules. Since they were already changing assignments on them in just the base offense weekly, they didn't want to confuse them so they didn't put them in.

Once everybody gets another spring and August under there belt, the base offense will be second nature, now they can start instilling different plays and formations off what they see week to week.

Like I said really good article if you can access it.
Randy
rebelbear
Head Coach
Head Coach

Well, I am pretty excited for what our offense will look like with Moncrief and Wallace having a year together under their belt, and another spring and fall camp. Not to mention a coaching staff that actually knows how to make adjustments during a game!
metalinc
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Rebchuck18 wrote:I also think that not making the personnel changes in the Red Zone made a huge difference in the Egg Bowl. A couple of those TD passes might not have even been called under the "switch qb's in the Red Zone" approach. I loved the play calling in the Egg Bowl and think it really took full advantage of the opportunities provided by Freeze's offense. I also think it was a good indicator of Freeze's growth and willingness to make adjustments as a HC. I thought he was going to stubbornly hold onto that personnel change philosophy. He won me over in this game.

I so agree with this...makes my head hurt!!! :!: :!: :!: