Tennessee

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

We are playing atrocious . We are shooting less then 20 percent as a team. Obviously this would happen during a espn broadcast in the first game as a ranked team.
wildthang80
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

Just got home from work. WHere the f*** are big murph and Reg?
jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

They were taken out with about 9 minutes to go because they both have two fouls.
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

#23 All on talent and luck. AK didn't get this team to 15-2 cthus team got AK to 15-2, and now they need coaching. I'm not sure AK is up to the challenge . We'll see.
rebangel
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

My sense is that they read entirely too many of their press releases....
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

Tennessee really wanted this game, and it showed. They were unable to shut Henderson down in the second half, however. Ole Miss found a way to win, and that's what you have to do when other teams gun for you. We'll have to do it again at Auburn this Saturday.
OMNOB 1A
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Oh ye of little faith.

Our Rebels showed a characteristic that most any great team has within it's possession, and that would be to overcome flaws on any given day to produce when clearly not in their best position to do so. Shooting 17% from the floor in a half is absolutely deplorable. But they never lost their faith and as a result, on one of, if not their worst day, pulled out a victory.

To be be upfront and center, I am not of the opinion that our team is "great". However, it sure looks like that if nothing else, they might make some noise in the tournament (which now, yes, is just a forgone conclusion, barring an epic meltdown) and be a scary match-up for virtually anyone in the country.

That said, there really does need to be some praise from the Rebelfaithful for our Head Coach. The halftime adjustments made were exactly the elixir that the team needed. For whatever reason, TN was handling us defensively in the paint for the entire first half. Not to be expected.

In the second half, the focus was moved to the backcourt and the result was a "W".

Was it a well put together game? No. It wasn't. Were there several mistakes made? Yes. Maybe too numerous to name.

That just happens. Such has been the case Nationwide in college basketball this season.

Thing is, during football season, the same was true. Mistakes and lapses cost us at least two games, and yet Freeze hung the moon.

Ugly, but great win tonight Rebs, Hotty Toddy!
BobReb
All SEC
All SEC

Maybe I'll get excited about BB again!!!
BobReb
All SEC
All SEC

(Well, it's the truth.)
jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

I was at the game tonight and I can honestly say I haven't seen an atmosphere like that since the Rod Barnes glory days. It was obvious that we are in need of more seating when there was so many students there that they started stealing regular seating well outside of the student section.
mpzreb17
All SEC
All SEC

I watched most of the game on ESPN2. I missed the first five minutes of the first half. There were times when I felt a bit embarrassed but for the majority of the game I was very happy in the sense that it was entertaining. I took away from it that TN played up to us, not the other way around, especially in the 2nd half. There were moments during the broadcast that took me back to Oxford, to the Tad Pad, that were only broken when something like the phone rang to make me realize that no, I was not there.

That said, exciting finish, and it showed that this team can overcome adversity and handle the teams that come in like their entire year is riding on upsetting the Rebels. Hotty Toddy
We Are Ole Miss
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Got to see the last 7/8 minutes of the game. My company had an investor party last night. So naturally ESPN decided to broadcast at 6 instead of 7 or 8 like they have been.

So were we just stone cold in the first half?

5-0 is all that matters, though. Take care of business tomorrow and get ready for a big week ahead.
Some Random Dude
Justin_P34
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

Tennessee played very physical in the first half. In other TN games I've watched this they is seems they have a way of making offenses look bad. We just couldn't seem to get good looks at the basket and couldn't get shots to fall. Just a slow start. In the second half it looked like we were wearing TN down a little and setting screens better. Shots started falling and we were rebounding better. I haven't looked at stats but it seemed we weren't rebounding well in the first half (especially on offense).
HottyToddy'06
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I agree that the coaching in the second half was good. We set up plays, screens and made something happen.
GtownRebel
All American
All American

Murphy and Buckner were on the bench from what I have read for a lot of the first half. With Cox not available, TN was man-handling us on the boards. They were guarding Henderson man to man and the defender was concentrating on him only and not helping anyone else on "D". It shut down Henderson to only 4 points in the first half. The 2nd half was different as double screens were set for Henderson and he got hot for 24 points. Thank goodness he hits his free throws. We were lucky that TN in the last few minutes of the game went cold at the FT line or it might have been a different story. We were lucky to win in my opinion, but that is the difference in teams with good records and teams with bad records. You have to be lucky in some games regardless of how good you really are because you can't bring your "A" game every time. And beating a team that you beat 6 days ago by 17 points is not easy. I am proud though of the team hanging in there and winning. The crowd seemed to be really good and loud...love the students’ enthusiasm and heckling of the other team. That really does help in close games. I have seen a team lifted emotionally by the crowd before and it appeared that this happened in the second half. Of course it helps to have a Henderson on the team that thrives on this - great shooter.