Still in it according...

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

to Lunardi at ESPN, we dropped from a 9 seed to an 11 seed.
Some Random Dude
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

lewindha wrote:to Lunardi at ESPN, we dropped from a 9 seed to an 11 seed.
We're in it by Jerry Palm of CBSSports.com and Joe Lunardi of ESPN.com. I've been reading some of yalll's predictions saying we are no longer in the tourney. No sense in me responding, cause yall believe what u want to believe, so no sense in me argueing. As long as we win, we're in. I think we can lose one more regular season game and still get in. And Eric, this wasn't directed to u, just happened to be under your post.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Most of us have in fact said that we believe we are still in but dropping, which is exactly what these projections confirm. The reality still is that we have no potential quality wins left on the regular season schedule and that we might not can afford to lose even one of the remaining schedule. Think these projections do confirm what most of us have been saying. I think with one more loss we are a bubble team. If I'm not mistaken a couple of the projections already have us on the bubble...in but barely. One even has us in a play-in game against USM.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

We can't lose to Bama. Their record isn't much worse than ours and they're ahead of us in conf. rankings. I think we gotta beat them for sure.

And I know some are counting Kentucky out, but I won't do it just yet.

And, Jim, I don't believe I said we were out. I might've said we're playing ourselves out of it and judging by the last two weeks, who could argue. I don't think we should've had as much trouble with Georgia as we did. But, like I said, maybe it was the kick in the pants they needed.
Some Random Dude
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

lewindha wrote:We can't lose to Bama. Their record isn't much worse than ours and they're ahead of us in conf. rankings. I think we gotta beat them for sure.

And I know some are counting Kentucky out, but I won't do it just yet.

And, Jim, I don't believe I said we were out. I might've said we're playing ourselves out of it and judging by the last two weeks, who could argue. I don't think we should've had as much trouble with Georgia as we did. But, like I said, maybe it was the kick in the pants they needed.
Now Eric I said that wasn't directed to u.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

No worries.
Some Random Dude
55chevy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I still say we are a bubble team at best. The guys saying we are in are just like us, they are simply stating their opinion. Florida is going and probably Missouri unless they fall apart, which they are showing signs of doing. Alabama and OM are close and the head to head game might be the difference in who goes. I think Kentucky fades without Noel and that may be the reason OM or Alabama or maybe both goes. Losing four out of the last six isn't helping OM. They need to win and have a decent SEC tournament or they very well may find themselves on the outside looking in. To have any shot at being revelent in basketball OM must improve it's scheduling. Then if they are good enough to make the tournament they will go and if they aren't it will be obvious. This practice of beating up on a bunch of nobodies just to get in the picture needs to stop.
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

Heard an interview today with Jerry Palm (CBS's Tournament Guru) on WHBQ in which Palm says it's possible the SEC only gets one bid--Florida, who is head and shoulders above the rest of the league, no debate. But he said that Mizzou and Ole Miss were hanging by threads, and that the league could get three bids if both teams finished very strong. He doesn't think Alabama will get a bid because they have four bad home losses and some terrible losses to teams below 100 and even 200 RPI (Auburn.) OM doesn't have any bad losses--yet. But losing to South Carolina, Auburn, State, Texas A & M (at home,) LSU or Alabama--any one of those, but particularly the first three--would probably send OM to the NIT. Beating 'Bama will not settle which team gets a tournament bid. Ole Miss won't get a boost by beating 'Bama, but losing to 'Bama will likely ensure that OM doesn't get a bid. Palm doesn't seem to think that 'Bama will get a bid unless they win the SEC Tournament. He also didn't seem to think Kentucky would get a bid unless they won the SEC Tournament.

Bottom line here is that the SEC is so weak that Ole Miss really can't afford to lose any more games regular season. None of the teams Ole Miss has left to play will get a bid to the NCAA Tournament under any scenario except winning the SEC Tournament. And 'Bama may be the only one that gets a bid to the NIT. Just a terrible year for SEC basketball.
RontheReb
Water Boy
Water Boy

Have to finish strong and make a nice showing in the SEC tourney.
jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

How much of a WAOM moment would it be for us to win 24 games and still not make the NCAAT?
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

24 regular season wins would mean winning 5 of the last 6. But that one loss would hurt. At that point I think we'd have to nail down one of the four byes in the SEC Tournament, win a couple in the tournament and/or maybe make the title game. Back in the day when 20 wins would get you in the tournament, the SEC wasn't anywhere near as weak as it is now. But it would be a helluva blip to win 26 (counting the SEC Tournament) and not get a bid!
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Titles 'R Us wrote:24 regular season wins would mean winning 5 of the last 6. But that one loss would hurt. At that point I think we'd have to nail down one of the four byes in the SEC Tournament, win a couple in the tournament and/or maybe make the title game. Back in the day when 20 wins would get you in the tournament, the SEC wasn't anywhere near as weak as it is now. But it would be a helluva blip to win 26 (counting the SEC Tournament) and not get a bid!

Yeah, can anyone think of a year when the SEC has been this weak... I honestly can't...
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

It's been getting worse for the last few years but Florida and Kentucky have propped the SEC up. As long as Donovan is there Florida will be a power. Kentucky may need to re think their thoroughbred freshman approach and start team developing. Oddly enough Noel's injury is kind of forcing their hand on that this year.