Well.... Missouri ...

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

55chevy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I'll be happy when the product on the floor improves. Until then I'll complain. Our team is poorly coached and it is obvious. It's the same every year, only the faces change. No building will fix what is wrong with this program. I don't get too excited when we beat Montevallo,Lipscomb,Fordham,Valley or a host of others we have no business playing. You can drink the Kool aid all you want to but there needs to be some changes made. One quality win this year. Take out all the powder puff wins and look at the overall record. What's AK SEC record over the course of his 6 3/4 years. This is a team that is and has been mired in mediocrity and is average at best this year.
55chevy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I went ahead and looked. In 6 3/4 years the SEC record stands at .500. 53-53 as of right now. I guess we can go back to the "fair" argument now that the facts aren't looking too good.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

U must think we were a basketball school. Players don't want to play here. Name the last time we were in the hunt for ANYONE that another school wanted? Nobody in here has ever answered that question, and doubt u will either. Look at our history, it's pityful. We were lucky Richardson didn't recruit in state for a couple of years, and regreted it later that he didn't. But since then, we've recruited nobody outside the Provine Posse. Evans couldn't do it once he left here, and probably wouldn't have kept us competive anyway. He sure didn't do it anywhere else after he left here and don't think he's even in coaching anymore. Barnes couldn't keep us going, even though he took us to our best season. He had run the program down by the time he left. He couldn't get anybody to come here. Black baskeball players don't want to come here, that's a fact. Baseball has been the easiest sport for us to compete by for. It's alot easier getting white baseball players than it is getting black football or even harder getting black basketball players. All that is a fact also. Basketball is the hardest sport for us to compete due to several factors. AK has his faults, no doubt. But he's winning more than any other coach we've had. The teams Barnes and Evans had wouldn't go dancing today, and if they were so good, why aren't they dancing now. Barnes's team is under 500 this year. Evans couldn't stay in coaching. And in 6 years, Kennedy has won 2 West titles. We only won 3 during the heyday of Evans /Barnes era. Have u gone to any games this year 55? Do u plan on going to any games? I bet the answer to both of those are no. And u were one of the ones that *beep* before the season and *beep* after all 23 games, everyone of them, not once showing ANY support for the team. Way to be a good fan 55, way to go. Like I said, yall stay on here *beep*, I'll be at the game pulling for Ole Miss.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
55chevy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

If I want to watch a circus I can do it without driving four hours. Nobody can predict the future so we really don't know if Rob Evans could have kept winning. What he did else where doesn't matter.He fit at OM and was doing a good job. The Barnes hire was a little worse than the AK hire. Seems like I remember you being on the Rod Barnes bandwagon also. Saying what would have happened or what will happen is just conjecture. What we do know is what we have right now and as stated above it is average at best. If you are happy being mediorcre then I guess you should be as happy as a barrel of monkies. A coach has to play with what he has. If he can't recruit the talent he wants he better be able to develop the players he does have. I think we both know that's not happening at OM.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

U are right. I loved Barnes. Loved him when he was our point guard, and loved him when we hired him. Hated we couldn't redshirt him his senior year so he could play with Gerald Glass the next year. He asked Murphy if he could redshirt, but Murphy told him no. Said if we redshirt u, we won't win a single game that year. Loved him even more when he took us to the sweet 16 and was national coach of the year. And sweated when it looked like the vols would get him. I hope I have the right to do that. At the end of his tenure, I wanted him gone. Was obvious he couldn't do the job. And when we get new facilities, and if Kennedy still can't do the job, I will want him gone as well. Not married to him, just like him, and think he deserves an even chance at winning. We was born 15 miles apart, him in Louisville, and me in Ackerman. Plus I'll be buried in Louisville. Have been going to Rebel games since 1974, and will continue to do so. That's part of being a fan. Not *beep* before, during and after every game.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

How come Barnes didn't get a fair chance to stay until a new arena was built? I mean, if that's what we're doing here, why didn't Barnes get the same fair shake? At least he went to the tournament. Maybe he could recruit better once he had the 'level' playing field. And he's a Rebel for Christ's sake.
Some Random Dude
55chevy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I remember watching RB play in high school. All the coaches were wondering if he could play in the SEC. He wasn't the greatest physical specimen. I'll bet he didn't weigh 165 pounds and his legs looked like match sticks. I've actually been in Bentonia's gym but it was a couple of years after he was there. It wasn't much to look at either. He proved he could play SEC basketball but when he was hired as coach at OM he had no chance. He was just thrown to the wolves. He hadn't ever been a head coach and really didn't have much experience as a assistant. The person responsible for hiring him should have been fired on the spot. Look, I get it. You are from the same area as AK. You probably watched him play in high school. You may know him or be his friend. I remember when he was at Winston Academy and later played at Louisville. He was the same type of player as MH. If he could get it off he shot it. That is the same way he coaches. You can believe what you want to believe but he simply isn't going to get it done at OM. Some years may be a little better than others but you are seeing the norm. A new building isn't going to change the style of play or coaching and that is the problem. You think it is a talent or recruiting problem. The games OM has lost this year wasn't because of talent. They were beat because of the style of play and lack of execution. The recipe for the past 8-10 years has been to schedule a very weak non conference schedule and play around .500 in conference. That almost guarentees a twenty win season. This year the conference record is a little better so some think things are improving. The SEC is weak so the overall record is a little better. The team is a carbon copy of past teams but the results are a little better. You can call this complaining or "beeping" but that's just what I'm seeing.
RontheReb
Water Boy
Water Boy

Missouri is unreal at home. That building has actually been open for almost 10 years and they have an 85% winning percentage there.