Rebel Legend

1. In what city is it located

2. What radio talk show host went to school there

3. Who's their basketball coach
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

Don't know the answer to any of those, unless SEMO is in Cape Girardeau. The other thing I know about SEMO is that they gave up 47 points to SE Louisiana in a rout. We should be able to give lots of PT to everyone.

Oh wait. Did Rush Limbaugh go there? I thought he didn't go to college, though.
loophole54
Water Boy
Water Boy

Advice from and old-timer: We have to take Southeastern Missouri seriously. NEVER count the game as won before it's over.

In 1970, Archie's senior year, we were coming off back-to-back wins against Alabama and Georgia, and rated number 3 in the country. The next game was Southern Mississippi, and the odds-makers wouldn't even post a line. Of course, we lost handily. I was there, and it was one of the worst days of my life.

Of course, we should win this week. But don't take it as a given. These guys are in the same conference as Jacksonville State. Remember them?

We have to take it a game at a time. Win this one--THEN look at the Horns.

Just sayin'.
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

loophole54 wrote:Advice from and old-timer: We have to take Southeastern Missouri seriously. NEVER count the game as won before it's over.

In 1970, Archie's senior year, we were coming off back-to-back wins against Alabama and Georgia, and rated number 3 in the country. The next game was Southern Mississippi, and the odds-makers wouldn't even post a line. Of course, we lost handily. I was there, and it was one of the worst days of my life.

Of course, we should win this week. But don't take it as a given. These guys are in the same conference as Jacksonville State. Remember them?

Just sayin'.
I agree that the team should take every game seriously. I couldn't care less whether or not the fans take a game seriously. However, with all that said, Hugh Freeze is not Houston Nutt and SEMO is definitely not Jacksonville State. SEMO is very bad in their little FCS niche while Jacksonville State was one of the best in FCS that year. Hugh Freeze and his staff had better take this game seriously because if it is close they deserve to be drawn and quartered.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Titles 'R Us wrote:Don't know the answer to any of those, unless SEMO is in Cape Girardeau. The other thing I know about SEMO is that they gave up 47 points to SE Louisiana in a rout. We should be able to give lots of PT to everyone.

Oh wait. Did Rush Limbaugh go there? I thought he didn't go to college, though.
Right on both of your answers. Still no answer on #3, who their basketball coach is.
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

It won't be close. The comparisons to the Southern and Jacksonville State games don't compute. In 1970 we were playing a real, SEC schedule and had just beaten 'Bama and Georgia. Southern was playing their usual, faux Division 1, alphabet soup, directional schedule and should never have been let on the schedule by Vaught when Tulane left the conference in 1966. They lived then and still live for beating Ole Miss. Not State. Ole Miss. They went all out to beat us and caught us in 'resting' mode after our tough slate up until then. The next week State beat them something like 55-14. They didn't care as long as they could say they upset Ole Miss.

As for Jax State, Nutt and Jack Crowe were old friends, and Nutt chose not to run up the score in the second half, calling off the dogs so as not to embarrass his friend. But Crowe double-crossed him and went all out for the upset. IMO, that betrayal was what burned out Nutt on the game. I think from then on he just decided to collect a paycheck.

Neither of those scenarios are in place this Saturday. SEMO is no would-be rival laying in the grass, and Freeze has no connections to SEMO's coach. In addition, SEMO is a very bad program at this point in time.

We will score against them at will. There cannot possibly be a let-up when you play the second game of the season and have much to prove to the fans and to rest of the SEC. And mark it down. The defense is on the hot seat with their coaches. And the D-coaches are on the hot seat with Freeze. I'd be disappointed if SEMO scores more than 10 points.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Hint on #3, the basketball coach is related to an ex-coach of ours.
loophole54
Water Boy
Water Boy

Hey Titles are Us.

I strongly agree with you. I just don't want us to be complacent. I've seen a LOT of games in my time, including some inconceivable losses.

Just sayin.

Loophole (the old timer)
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

This coaching staff will never be complacent about any game. No worries. We may not win them all, but we will always give great effort.
CrossroadsReb
Scout Team
Scout Team

1. Cape Girardeau
2. Rush Limbaugh
3. Dickey Nutt (I just threw up in my mouth a little when I typed that name!)
"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!"
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

Know what you mean about the Nutt connection. I have trouble keeping food down, too, when I see Houston Nutt being paid (as if he needs money after what he took from Ole Miss) for pontificating on CBSSports. Can't zap that channel fast enough!
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

loophole54 wrote:Advice from and old-timer: We have to take Southeastern Missouri seriously. NEVER count the game as won before it's over.

Just sayin'.
I agree
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

CrossroadsReb wrote:1. Cape Girardeau
2. Rush Limbaugh
3. Dickey Nutt (I just threw up in my mouth a little when I typed that name!)
Correct on all 3.
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Titles 'R Us wrote:Know what you mean about the Nutt connection. I have trouble keeping food down, too, when I see Houston Nutt being paid (as if he needs money after what he took from Ole Miss) for pontificating on CBSSports. Can't zap that channel fast enough!
When you throw up in your mouth about Nutt ( which is understandable) wash it down at least with the knowledge that without Nutt we might not have Denzel which means we might not have Robert and the rest of this class.... AND we might not have Freeze. Just saying most things happen for a reason and many of my worst experiences in life have directly or indirectly led to some of the best experiences of my life. Just a little tidbit from a seasoned man ;)