Moderator: Rebel Security

mascott
3rd String
3rd String

Who was it on here that said James Franklin was such a good coach? :roll:
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

Looking at Vandy's history, James Franklin has made them competitive. At 4-4 this year and with Kentucky, Tennessee and Wake Forest still left on the schedule, they have a chance for a third straight winning/bowl season. I think that's what most people are looking at.
OMNOB 1A
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I would say that he is an above average coach. As the head coach of a school that is above all an academic institution, without even as much as an athletic director, my guess is that Franklin knows how to coach football.

In a situation where athletic funds as well as academia stalls the program, as a coach, you have to get creative. I see it all the time here in Atlanta with Georgia Tech, a school of the same ilk. It's a tough deal for those within the athletic program(s).

That said, Vandy won 9 games a year ago. In the vaunted SEC and will likely be bowl eligible for this season, so, yeah, Franklin is and has been pretty darn successful.
StrongRebel
2nd String
2nd String

I did and in my opinion he still is and I am sure there is about 6 currently big program athletic directors who are thinking the same thing and will be contacting him at the end of the season. The question is he going to be good every year at Vanderbilt and history tells us no but if he stays Vanderbilt will be better more than they have and I think if he stays he will win the east at Vanderbilt but it will take more years than a few for that to be true.
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

Agree. I think he is a good coach. Whether or not people agree with his personality or whatever it may be about him doesn't matter; it is working pretty good. I don't think having to win 9-10 games a year at Vanderbilt is the quota for "being a good coach". History proves its hard to win there and he's doing a heck of a job considering. Now, having said that, I've sometimes wondered why. I can probably answer my own question, but it still surprises me. I understand athletics is not a top priority at Vanderbilt and maybe I don't know the number of scholarships they give out, but Vanderbilt is a good school. You get a top tier education and still play in the best conference in college football. Considering how many actually make it to the NFL(which I know is all most think about), a degree from Vanderbilt would go a long ways in the working world.
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

StrongRebel wrote:I did and in my opinion he still is and I am sure there is about 6 currently big program athletic directors who are thinking the same thing and will be contacting him at the end of the season. The question is he going to be good every year at Vanderbilt and history tells us no but if he stays Vanderbilt will be better more than they have and I think if he stays he will win the east at Vanderbilt but it will take more years than a few for that to be true.
When your qb graduates it's more challenging than any other position. Then the replacement gets hurt to boot.... Makes it tough to repeat 9 victories at Vandy. He's probably reached a peak in Nashville that will be hard to exceed. I think he is a good coach. He will be grabbed by a bigger program for sure.
OMNOB 1A
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I actually heard this afternoon that he is on the radar for the USC gig. Not the top pick (Gruden), but intermingled for the picks that follow.

This from a guy that was the "coach-in-waiting" at Maryland (behind Ralph Friedgen) and the current guy at Vandy.

Pretty impressive stuff.
BobReb
All SEC
All SEC

It would certainly be a step up from ...