bcs rankings

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

kjreb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

All I have to say is that if Lsu is ranked and ole miss isn't, which will most likely be the case, someone has some serious 'splainin to do. Lsu has 3 losses. Unranked georgia, unranked ole miss, and #1 bama. We also have 3 losses, #1 bama #6 auburn and #10 aTm. Not to mention the fact that we beat lsu to start our current 3 game streak. Its bad enough that texas will be ranked ahead of us even tho we stomped them in austin. But as usual lsu stays ranked after their 3rd loss simply because of the name. Pitiful. Simply pitiful.
heard state's changing field to turf next year. cheerleaders kept eating the grass
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

kjreb wrote:All I have to say is that if Lsu is ranked and ole miss isn't, which will most likely be the case, someone has some serious 'splainin to do. Lsu has 3 losses. Unranked georgia, unranked ole miss, and #1 bama. We also have 3 losses, #1 bama #6 auburn and #10 aTm. Not to mention the fact that we beat lsu to start our current 3 game streak. Its bad enough that texas will be ranked ahead of us even tho we stomped them in austin. But as usual lsu stays ranked after their 3rd loss simply because of the name. Pitiful. Simply pitiful.
Yep
Some Random Dude
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

I like the way you think. I brought up the same thing to some LSU buddies last night, but I got the generic LSU ramble...Les Miles and LSU fans are the perfect couple.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

WildRebel wrote:I like the way you think. I brought up the same thing to some LSU buddies last night, but I got the generic LSU ramble...Les Miles and LSU fans are the perfect couple.
You can never expect LSU fans to be rational.
Some Random Dude
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

We wouldn't be having this conversation if Ole Miss had been the team that kicked the last-second field goal in the A & M game and won it 41-38. We'd now be a Top Fifteen team (which I think we could be after bowl season ends). The media has practically forgotten about us even though we have three quality wins against teams that will go bowling: Vandy, Texas and LSU. If Vandy takes care of business against Kentucky, Tennessee and Wake, Franklin will have coached them to their second straight eight-win regular season and nine if they win their bowl game. That's uncharted territory for Vandy. And Texas at 6-0 could still win the Big XII.

Although I hate this term, LSU's 'brand' is touted constantly by the media. But Ole Miss has a better team this year than LSU, and I'm not buying the fact that 'LSU wasn't up for Ole Miss' and 'Mettenberger just had a bad game.' LSU was beaten so badly by 'Bama this year that I almost felt sorry for them: the image of Mettenberger practically dragging himself off the field was symbolic of LSU's slow decline under Les Miles.

Freeze is just going to have to win consistently at the 9 to 11-win level to force the media to focus on us. They just stopped considering us after we lost to 'Bama and Auburn and A & M. But those three teams are in the Top Ten, and we had/have one of the toughest schedules in the country. If we finish the year 8-4 or 9-3 and then win our bowl, we certainly deserve a Top Fifteen ranking. Until then, we'll just have to listen to the talking heads ramble on about LSU.

For now, though, 27-24, Ole Miss over LSU is sweet consolation.
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

Titles 'R Us wrote:We wouldn't be having this conversation if Ole Miss had been the team that kicked the last-second field goal in the A & M game and won it 41-38. We'd now be a Top Fifteen team (which I think we could be after bowl season ends). The media has practically forgotten about us even though we have three quality wins against teams that will go bowling: Vandy, Texas and LSU. If Vandy takes care of business against Kentucky, Tennessee and Wake, Franklin will have coached them to their second straight eight-win regular season and nine if they win their bowl game. That's uncharted territory for Vandy. And Texas at 6-0 could still win the Big XII.

Although I hate this term, LSU's 'brand' is touted constantly by the media. But Ole Miss has a better team this year than LSU, and I'm not buying the fact that 'LSU wasn't up for Ole Miss' and 'Mettenberger just had a bad game.' LSU was beaten so badly by 'Bama this year that I almost felt sorry for them: the image of Mettenberger practically dragging himself off the field was symbolic of LSU's slow decline under Les Miles.

Freeze is just going to have to win consistently at the 9 to 11-win level to force the media to focus on us. They just stopped considering us after we lost to 'Bama and Auburn and A & M. But those three teams are in the Top Ten, and we had/have one of the toughest schedules in the country. If we finish the year 8-4 or 9-3 and then win our bowl, we certainly deserve a Top Fifteen ranking. Until then, we'll just have to listen to the talking heads ramble on about LSU.

For now, though, 27-24, Ole Miss over LSU is sweet consolation.
Yep I agree. We can't keep worrying about the past though. We can still take care of business from here on out and be where we want by season's end. That Mizzou *game*has so much more meaning than anyone could have imagined...possibly determine the east champ.
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

WildRebel wrote:I like the way you think. I brought up the same thing to some LSU buddies last night, but I got the generic LSU ramble...Les Miles and LSU fans are the perfect couple.
Wait......you have LSU buddies? Alright where is the ignore button! :D
Randy
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

Well, unfortunately, I'd say 90% of my friends are tigers. :evil: But, it happens living in Baton Rouge.. :lol:

I will say there are some d*** good people down here, except when dealing with LSU vs Ole Miss subject.
kjreb
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I agree with the whole "brand" thing. I feel like if we win out and win our bowl game there is a chance at a top ten finish. I UNDERSTAND that its highly unlikely, but after the houston "we have a problem" nutt era that ended with an atrocious 2-10 campqign if u woulda told me that 2 years later we'd be on the verge of a 8-9-10 win season I wouldve laughed in your face. I'm happy yet frustrated. All I know is a number beside our name or a lack thereof, will not make me any less excited or optimistic about our rebels. For the first time in a long time I look at each game and feel as if we have a shot at winning. No more pessimistic assumptions or false confidence. We ARE ON THE RISE! HOTTY TODDY!! DESTROY TROY!!!
heard state's changing field to turf next year. cheerleaders kept eating the grass
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I agree with branding on rankings, but if I am a bowl committee I am going to consider pretty heavily that a 3 loss Ole Miss fan base might just travel better than a disappointed 3 loss Tiger fan base.
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

Same feelings here. 2 years ago I'm thinking YEARS away from even cracking a top 25 ranking because we looked that bad, but Freeze has impressed me tenfold. Now, this YOUNG/DEPLETED team is staring at 10 wins and its simply amazing. I know winning out isn't going to be easy and very well may not happen, but its not out of reach. If that team that showed up against LSU can rise up again, we'll be there, but if not, I do believe we'll at least get 2-3 more wins because our Rebs know how to win a bowl game, and I for one believe its a lot to do with fans showing up for them unlike other schools. Not sure about the ranking and where we could possibly land but top 10 may or may not be possible. I think it all depends on who we get in a bowl...assuming we win out.
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

Rebchuck18 wrote:I agree with branding on rankings, but if I am a bowl committee I am going to consider pretty heavily that a 3 loss Ole Miss fan base might just travel better than a disappointed 3 loss Tiger fan base.
LSU fans have the same sense of entitlement about the NC and their status in college football that 'Bama fans do. But without the results to back them up. Like it or not, 'Bama and Saban are the best right now and have set the gold standard in the modern era. I totally agree that LSU fans will not be excited about any bowl now if it is neither the NC title game or at least a BCS bowl. If bowls and ESPN want a well-attended game by an excited fan base that knows how to travel to and win bowls, that's Ole Miss.
rebel556677
Scout Team
Scout Team

Think about this. Two years ago just winning an SEC game was a pipedream. Now we are not satisfied with back to back winning seasons and the possibility of going to two consecutive bowl games. Coach Freeze, as was stated by one of my brothers in an earlier post, is still playing with Coach Nutt's players and is still getting results. I can't wait until Coach Freeze has four great recruiting years to really see what they can do. Auburn already had the coffers full just no confidence. What we had really did not resemble a football team as compared to what is just over the horizon.

Go Rebs!!

Hotty Toddy!!
Just another day being better than State.
nkemdiche_smash
Water Boy
Water Boy

The real sad part is when you look at the coaches poll. We got 6 votes and ULL got ~13. The same ULL that lost to Arky. But I can poke holes in poles all day. We just have to keep winning so they are forced to put us in them whether they like it or not.
loophole54
Water Boy
Water Boy

Focus game by game (meaning TROY) and keep winning. The rest will work itself out, if not this year, then the next. Win and keep the recruits.

Go Rebs!.