Legitimate question

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

3rdR8Bromance
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

I know this is an "Ole Miss Site," but given that our 2013 F/B season is now complete, why not branch out, a little? As it relates exclusively to on-the-field/gameday decision-making, how good of a coach is Saban? Obviously, he's hands-down the best recruiter in the country, IMO. I think that, probably, nobody prepares better, or instills discipline in his program better, than him. He runs a tight ship, and seems to keep astraddle of developing trends (thus his 'concern' w/ the HUNH; and the fact that his last 2 losses were @ the hands of aTm & AU, respectively, giving this argument legitimacy. I also think that the Siskey hiring, as much as 'Bama fans protest otherwise, was intended to help mitigate any potential disparity). His defensive schemes and production 'speak for themselves.' A coach is rightly judged, by his overall program, however, his favoring of a conservative approach to playcalling and game-planning can, again IMHO, be somewhat of a vulnerability. A team must first "have the horses," before this can even be tested, but I think that Malzahn, Spurrier, and perhaps Franklin are better gameday decision makers. If he has any perceived weakness, what might it be?

Additionally, due to his preferred 'dictatorial' style, his teams tend to reflect his own focus and priorities – thus the Utah loss, in the Sugar Bowl game, a few years back, and the non-stellar performances, at times (ex: Miss State game, this year, when the UT(A) 'distractions' were @ their zenith).
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

3rdR8Bromance wrote:I know this is an "Ole Miss Site," but given that our 2013 F/B season is now complete, why not branch out, a little? As it relates exclusively to on-the-field/gameday decision-making, how good of a coach is Saban? Obviously, he's hands-down the best recruiter in the country, IMO. I think that, probably, nobody prepares better, or instills discipline in his program better, than him. He runs a tight ship, and seems to keep astraddle of developing trends (thus his 'concern' w/ the HUNH; and the fact that his last 2 losses were @ the hands of aTm & AU, respectively, giving this argument legitimacy. I also think that the Siskey hiring, as much as 'Bama fans protest otherwise, was intended to help mitigate any potential disparity). His defensive schemes and production 'speak for themselves.' A coach is rightly judged, by his overall program, however, his favoring of a conservative approach to playcalling and game-planning can, again IMHO, be somewhat of a vulnerability. A team must first "have the horses," before this can even be tested, but I think that Malzahn, Spurrier, and perhaps Franklin are better gameday decision makers. If he has any perceived weakness, what might it be?

Additionally, due to his preferred 'dictatorial' style, his teams tend to reflect his own focus and priorities – thus the Utah loss, in the Sugar Bowl game, a few years back, and the non-stellar performances, at times (ex: Miss State game, this year, when the UT(A) 'distractions' were @ their zenith).

While I can understand the perception that Saban runs a flawless ship and is in total command of all things relating to Bama Football... I can assure you that not everything that glitters is golden...Saban has the SEC office is clamoring to make Bama be the champs and nothing is going to change that Saban or for that matter any coach...Money is what drives the SEC and the SEC controls the games with their referees...Not one member of the SEC can even debate this as false. Saban has a team of coaches and handlers who "Control" what the media has access to and if it doesn't fit with the "Good News" style of Bama Football it isn't reported...Players are discarded and stripped of scholarships if they don't perform regardless of "health" issues...The SEC won't even allow a media report to condemn Bama for this tactic...Naw, I don't look at Saban as anything but the next coach at Bama to appear to be the best in the nation...any coach they plug in to that position is going to look stellar...the SEC office and the Bama Legislature have seen to it that the Alabama schools will always be tops in the nation...Dirty, Yes... Stellar, No.
Later,
Hagar
AtlantaRebels
2nd String
2nd String

I thought I would want the sooner to be embarrassed yet again... but I just cant help it. BOOMER SOONER
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Saban is IMO the best that's ever been. Don't like him, but can't deny it. My guess is that his coaching and preparation will come through in this second half and Bama will overcome the uncharacteristic turnovers and ultimately prevail.
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Saban is good by himself But it is the SEC office that makes him appear to be the best there's ever been. We play Vandy there, like 4 of 5 years. You won't see Bama doing that with TN or GA. Oh, and TN expecting a terrible year? Swap out Missouri for the Rebels. As Long as he has SEC Refs, Bama can make a couple of game losing mistakes and still come ouot on top.
mascott
3rd String
3rd String

Yep! and we play an "easy" team and get beat down for it, even by our own fans. They play an even easier team, and they just needed to regroup. UNREAL :roll: :roll:
scott
mascott
3rd String
3rd String

OH! Did I tell y'all SABAN GOT STOOPED!
scott
1OLEMISSREBEL
All American
All American

mascott wrote:OH! Did I tell y'all SABAN GOT STOOPED!
scott

now this is funny!
Even a bad day as a Rebel is better than a good day with the dawgs!!!!
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebelliousb wrote:Saban is good by himself But it is the SEC office that makes him appear to be the best there's ever been. We play Vandy there, like 4 of 5 years. You won't see Bama doing that with TN or GA. Oh, and TN expecting a terrible year? Swap out Missouri for the Rebels. As Long as he has SEC Refs, Bama can make a couple of game losing mistakes and still come ouot on top.
They play TN every year and it's been that way for a while. They can't help that TN is down.
Some Random Dude
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

lewindha wrote:
rebelliousb wrote:Saban is good by himself But it is the SEC office that makes him appear to be the best there's ever been. We play Vandy there, like 4 of 5 years. You won't see Bama doing that with TN or GA. Oh, and TN expecting a terrible year? Swap out Missouri for the Rebels. As Long as he has SEC Refs, Bama can make a couple of game losing mistakes and still come ouot on top.
They play TN every year and it's been that way for a while. They can't help that TN is down.

yes, but not in Knoxville 4 out of 5 years. or 3 out of 4. that will NEVER happen