this is why I think Freeze deserves the raise he got!

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

http://www.olemisssports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec- rel/011314aab.html

Jan. 13, 2014
INDIANAPOLIS - Ole Miss head football coach Hugh Freeze has been named Grant Teaff Coach of the Year by the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and was presented the award at an FCA event at the American Football Coaches Association convention in Indianapolis on Monday.

Freeze led Ole Miss to an 8-5 overall record in 2013, concluding the season with a 25-17 victory over Georgia Tech in the Music City Bowl in Nashville. He became just the second coach in school history to lead the Rebels to back-to-back bowl wins in his first two seasons at the helm. Ole Miss beat Pittsburgh 38-17 in the BBVA Compass Bowl in Birmingham in his first season.
“I’m totally humbled to receive the Coach Grant Teaff Coach of the Year award at the AFCA convention,” Freeze said. “I share this with our great staff and kids.”

Along with its bowl win, Ole Miss' 2013 season highlights included victories at Vanderbilt and Texas and a home win over No. 6 LSU. The Rebels' high-speed offense set records for the most total yards (6,153), first downs (317), plays (1,018), pass attempts (490) and pass completions (310) in a season in school history.

Prior to the 2013 season, Freeze and his staff were lauded for landing a recruiting class that was ranked among the top five in the nation, according to ESPN. That recruiting class accounted for four Freshman All-Americans, two All-SEC picks and the SEC Freshman of the Year in 2013.

Freeze has been heavily involved with FCA during his years as a head coach at Ole Miss, Arkansas State and Lambuth, and as an assistant at Ole Miss and Arkansas State. He is featured in the cover story of the current FCA Magazine, and last year spoke at FCA's President's Weekend.

Named in honor of former Baylor coach, AFCA executive director and member of the FCA Board of Trustees Grant Teaff, the Coach of the Year Award presented by FCA recognizes a football coach who exemplifies Christian principles and who is involved in FCA. The award is also based on the success and performance of the coach's team that season. Previous winners include Bobby Bowden, Mark Richt, Tommy Bowden, Sylvester Croom and former Ole Miss coaches Mike MacIntyre, Tommy Tuberville and Houston Nutt.

On Saturday, Feb. 22, coach legend Bobby Bowden and Freeze will be the featured speakers for a breakfast sponsored by the Ole Miss FCA chapter. The breakfast will be held at the Manning Center (formerly known as the Indoor Practice Facility) from 8:30-10:15 a.m. Click here to register for tickets and table sponsorships. All proceeds will go directly to support the Ole Miss FCA chapter.

Go ahead and condemn him for it and can promise I will add more to my ignore list.
Later,
Hagar
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Since I'm already on the big guys ignore list I guess I can "comment" which apparently now means "condemn" and save any like minded thinkers from the blacklist. Given that this is apparently a character award vs a results award, I think it was given to a very worthy recipient. Have said from day one that CHF is a fine man and as a Christian, I love that this kind of award exists. Having said that, it is way down the list of things that justify a 50% $1 million raise. Sorry, it just doesn't. If you think that is condemning, then there is really nothing else I can add. Congrats to CHF though. This is a good thing.
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

get Memphis off the schedule and I may quit cussing enough to be let in the place.
A10Rebel
3rd String
3rd String

bbqit wrote:get Memphis off the schedule and I may quit cussing enough to be let in the place.
No kidding. This game is absolutely worthless to me.

we get nothing if we win except to pad an already incredible winning record against Memphis, if we lose it helps them and hurts us.

if we never played Memphis again it would be too soon.
"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice."
-Wayne Dyer
GtownRebel
All American
All American

Actually, I disagree with the last part. If we lose by some miracle, it still would not hurt Ole Miss. Ole Miss is in the SEC and Memphis is in the center of the U.S. in the Big East conference (go figure that one out) and can't find the top three quarters of that league unless hurricane Sandy came back and wiped out the whole conference. It won't hurt us, but I totally agree we shouldn't be playing them. They are not a name team on anyone's schedule.
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

They aren't in the Big East anymore. All the Catholic basketball schools jumped ship and took the Big East moniker with them. Memphis State Teacher's Commuter's College is now part of something called the American Athletic Conference, which is just a glorified C-USA.
A10Rebel
3rd String
3rd String

whoever stumped to get them back on our schedule needs to be punched in the junk.
"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice."
-Wayne Dyer
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

GtownRebel wrote:Actually, I disagree with the last part. If we lose by some miracle, it still would not hurt Ole Miss. Ole Miss is in the SEC and Memphis is in the center of the U.S. in the Big East conference (go figure that one out) and can't find the top three quarters of that league unless hurricane Sandy came back and wiped out the whole conference. It won't hurt us, but I totally agree we shouldn't be playing them. They are not a name team on anyone's schedule.
In a season(next year) where ESPN and many other outlets are saying 9 wins should be the bar for us, you don't think losing to Memphis would hurt. How so?
Some Random Dude
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

There really isn't an excuse to ever lose to Memphis State again. Even Coach O went 3-0 against them with three of our worst teams. But there also isn't an excuse to ever play them again after this current contract expires. If it weren't for Ole Miss and Tennessee playing them over the years, they wouldn't come close to selling a respectable number of season tickets.
mascott
3rd String
3rd String

I wonder if it may have something to do with recruiting?
scott
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

mascott wrote:I wonder if it may have something to do with recruiting?
scott
That's the excuse I hear the most. Memphis is an hour away. There is a ton of alumni there. Kids in that area know who Ole Miss is. And if not, it's an hour away, our coaches can get to them easily and it's the easiest trip for those kids to take other than Memphis itself. If we have to play in Memphis to compete with Memphis for players, then we've got bigger problems.
Some Random Dude
mascott
3rd String
3rd String

and add to that the tough OOC schedule that bama and others play. :P
scott
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

mascott wrote:and add to that the tough OOC schedule that bama and others play. :P
scott
I'm not sure what the tongue wagging is about, but if you are saying that Alabama plays a good out of conference team like many are proposing Ole Miss do, then you are correct. Virginia Tech, Michigan, Penn State (X2) are examples from the last few years. The biggest problem that I have with the Memphis State series is that it is home and home. While we should have a few patsies on our schedule, they should all travel to play us. We should never have to play away to a second tier or lower team (except Miss State every other year which is required by the SEC).
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

JustBlues wrote:
mascott wrote:and add to that the tough OOC schedule that bama and others play. :P
scott
I'm not sure what the tongue wagging is about, but if you are saying that Alabama plays a good out of conference team like many are proposing Ole Miss do, then you are correct. Virginia Tech, Michigan, Penn State (X2) are examples from the last few years. The biggest problem that I have with the Memphis State series is that it is home and home. While we should have a few patsies on our schedule, they should all travel to play us. We should never have to play away to a second tier or lower team (except Miss State every other year which is required by the SEC).
I live in Southaven and I won't go to any more games in Memphis. I hate we're playing tiger high, especially home and home, but if Freeze wants to, then so be it.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
A10Rebel
3rd String
3rd String

lewindha wrote:
mascott wrote:I wonder if it may have something to do with recruiting?
scott
That's the excuse I hear the most. Memphis is an hour away. There is a ton of alumni there. Kids in that area know who Ole Miss is. And if not, it's an hour away, our coaches can get to them easily and it's the easiest trip for those kids to take other than Memphis itself. If we have to play in Memphis to compete with Memphis for players, then we've got bigger problems.

I agree. We haven't played Memphis in years and amazingly we're still pulling athletes from Memphis. I think we're getting a pretty good kicker if memory serves.
-Wayne Dyer