Ole Miss Rebels target Memphis, welcome 'growing pains' of s

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Addressing a woman named Rachel in the audience at Memphis Botanic Garden on Monday night, Ole Miss athletic director Ross Bjork acknowledged what has become a serious issue when Rebel sports fans come to Oxford to cheer for the Rebels.

“Rachel, we are in a market correction in parking,” Bjork said. “There’s still some pain. So don’t talk to me about parking, talk to our staff. There’s still going to be some growing pains around traffic and parking but you know what? That’s progress.”

Yes, parking. A first-world problem for college athletics, different from one of the final issues — non-traditional uniforms — brought up at the “Rebel Road Tour 2014,” yet the same in the sense that Ole Miss heads into this heady new era of the Southeastern Conference at a hopeful crossroads.

And Bjork, hired just more than two years ago, has made clear his intent to take full advantage of the university’s proximity to Memphis.

That has meant sizable investments in marketing and advertising in Memphis.

As much as past University of Memphis coaches and administrators may have exaggerated the threat Ole Miss could pose to the Tiger basketball program, the SEC’s growing advantages in resources and exposure make those fears more real than ever.

Whether Bjork says it explicitly, there is that ulterior motive behind the resumption of the football series and basketball series with Memphis on an unweighted, home-and-home basis.

For Ole Miss, capturing market share in Memphis makes it worth investing a precious home-and-home spot on the football schedule.

The first football game in a four year series starts in the fall, in Oxford, rotating to Memphis next season. Bjork said a four-year basketball agreement will start with a “December-type” game in the fall of the 2015-16 season, in Memphis, rotating to Oxford the following season.

By then, Ole Miss expects to have a new basketball arena ready.

“It’s our backyard, that’s how we look at Memphis,” Bjork said. “We like to be here as much as possible. That’s why we like the series with Memphis, both in football and basketball. So the more we can do up here the better, to bring big-time athletics to the city of Memphis.”

That Tiger-Rebel football game in the fall is set for Sept. 27, and optimistic Rebel fans have reason to believe Freeze could have a 3-0, Top 25 team awaiting the Tigers and its own third-year coach, Justin Fuente.

One of those perennial preseason publications, by Phil Steele, already has revealed it will put the Rebels in its preseason Top 25. And don’t be surprised if others follow suit.

With a favorable home schedule and one of the SEC’s top returning quarterbacks, Bo Wallace, leading a team that would’ve, could’ve, maybe should’ve won 10 games last year, it’s not hard to envision some of those prognosticators putting Ole Miss third in the SEC West, behind Alabama and Auburn but ahead of LSU.

Freeze apparently senses he must find the right balance between harnessing the excitement coming off back-to-back bowl victories — best spring practice season yet! — and managing expectations maybe getting ahead of the state he found the program after the 2011 season.

“I really believed when I walked off the field from our last spring practice of Year One, that we would be fighting to get to a bowl game in Year Three,” Freeze said. “I do think we have come further in a shorter time than I thought we would. Now I understand with that the expectations have grown and that’s all great.”

So, too, has the scrutiny, and off-the-field issues in the offseason created challenges for Freeze. He suspended linebacker Denzel Nkemdiche following an arrest for disorderly conduct and disturbing the peace, and Nkemdiche and his brother, Robert, have been involved in lawsuits and counter-lawsuits over an alleged beating at an Ole Miss fraternity house.

Freeze addressed those issues with the media, pointing to positive stories from the football program, and boosters warmly embraced his 25-minute closing speech.

As Andy Kennedy, the basketball coach, put it: “When we leave here tonight, no one leaves with a loss. We all win.”

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/20 ... elcome-of/
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

IMO playing Memphis in Memphis helps Memphis.... Not Ole Miss. Memphis already is an Ole Miss town. You don't see Bama playing UAB to increase presence in Birmingham, or LSU playing Tulane in New Orleans to increase presence in New Orleans. This is dumbing down.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Rebchuck18 wrote:IMO playing Memphis in Memphis helps Memphis.... Not Ole Miss. Memphis already is an Ole Miss town. You don't see Bama playing UAB to increase presence in Birmingham, or LSU playing Tulane in New Orleans to increase presence in New Orleans. This is dumbing down.
Memphis is an Ole Miss town, I agree. If we're playing them in football to get them to play us in basketball, I guess I'm OK with it. No, not really, but I do get it.

We need to bolster the basketball schedule and this helps, but it hinders the football schedule, IMO. Give and take I guess.
Some Random Dude
beachbumreb
2nd String
2nd String

Rebchuck18 wrote:IMO playing Memphis in Memphis helps Memphis.... Not Ole Miss. Memphis already is an Ole Miss town. You don't see Bama playing UAB to increase presence in Birmingham, or LSU playing Tulane in New Orleans to increase presence in New Orleans. This is dumbing down.
Its about growing revenue. what other regional city is close by that is not affiliated with an sec school? Nashville, Vanderbilt. Birmingham? Bammer. New Orleans? LSU. get your head out of your anal cavity. We need to fill our stadium EVERY Saturday, and the best way to do that is solidify our hold on Memphis.

And don't give me the tired old "Win and they'll come" excuse. Too many fans are like you Chuck. We win and you *beep* about softening the schedule. We lose a competive game, ya'll call for wholesale staff changes. And the average Mississippian is too broke to go to every home game! So we have to grow our fanbase for aggregate numbers.

The only thing that would make you happy is running the tables on alabama, auburn, lsu, alabama again, georgia, Florida State, Clemson, Alabama once more, lsu again, Texas A&m, Texas, and Notre Dame. and even if we ran the tables you would *beep* about the uniforms, player celebrations, helmets, lack of character, play calling, and execution.

I haven't logged in here in months, and i check and guess what, same crap different day! Chuck you are a truly negative person who is unaware of how curmudgeonly they've become. Oh and i know you will respond with how it's your "right" to express your opinions. Well these are my opinions and my right to express them is just as valid as yours.
Forward Rebels!
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

beachbumreb wrote:
Its about growing revenue. what other regional city is close by that is not affiliated with an sec school? Nashville, Vanderbilt. Birmingham? Bammer. New Orleans? LSU. get your head out of your anal cavity. We need to fill our stadium EVERY Saturday, and the best way to do that is solidify our hold on Memphis.

And don't give me the tired old "Win and they'll come" excuse. Too many fans are like you Chuck. We win and you *beep* about softening the schedule. We lose a competive game, ya'll call for wholesale staff changes. And the average Mississippian is too broke to go to every home game! So we have to grow our fanbase for aggregate numbers.

The only thing that would make you happy is running the tables on alabama, auburn, lsu, alabama again, georgia, Florida State, Clemson, Alabama once more, lsu again, Texas A&m, Texas, and Notre Dame. and even if we ran the tables you would *beep* about the uniforms, player celebrations, helmets, lack of character, play calling, and execution.

I haven't logged in here in months, and i check and guess what, same crap different day! Chuck you are a truly negative person who is unaware of how curmudgeonly they've become. Oh and i know you will respond with how it's your "right" to express your opinions. Well these are my opinions and my right to express them is just as valid as yours.
Memphis is an hour away. I agree we want to grow the fanbase, but I honestly don't see how playing Memphis in Memphis(or at all for that matter) helps.
Some Random Dude
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Playing games in Texas, or even California, would help more as far as growing the fanbase, IMO. It doesn't have to be Texas. We could play TCU, Houston, SMU, San Diego State, Cal, Fresno State, etc. All better alternatives than Memphis. Doesn't HAVE to be UCLA, Texas,etc., every year.
Some Random Dude
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

lewindha wrote:
beachbumreb wrote:

Memphis is an hour away. I agree we want to grow the fanbase, but I honestly don't see how playing Memphis in Memphis(or at all for that matter) helps.
U just have to go with the coaches Eric. Both Freeze and Kennedy want this. I live in Southaven, which is right beside Memphis, but on the Ms. side and I don't like it. And I WILL NOT go to a game in Memphis, but obviously will in Oxford. But if the coaches want this, so be it. Hopefully we'll kick tiger high's butt when we open the new arena.
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

beachbumreb wrote:

And nobody defends your right to express them, without labeling them, more than I do. But to clarify, if you are talking about Freeze... Find one post where I have said we should get rid of him....after a "competitive game" or an ass kicking. As far as being negative, I was one of the few here tgat said we would win 8 games last year, and I am one of the few who has been consistently positive about our baseball program. If you are talking about basketball, yes I am negative... Guilty as charged.
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebeljim wrote:
beachbumreb wrote:

The only thing that would make you happy is running the tables on alabama, auburn, lsu, alabama again, georgia, Florida State, Clemson, Alabama once more, lsu again, Texas A&m, Texas, and Notre Dame. and even if we ran the tables yiou would *beep* about the uniforms, player celebrations, helmets, lack of character, play calling, and execution.

U just have to go with the coaches Eric. Both Freeze and Kennedy want this. I live in Southaven, which is right beside Memphis, but on the Ms. side and I don't like it. And I WILL NOT go to a game in Memphis, but obviously will in Oxford. But if the coaches want this, so be it. Hopefully we'll kick tiger high's butt when we open the new arena.
If this is for basketball, what a waste. As far as going with the coaches... How about going with the fans and the legitimacy of our program. Legitimate SEC programs do not play Memphis home and home.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Rebchuck18 wrote:
rebeljim wrote:
beachbumreb wrote:

The only thing that would make you happy is running the tables on alabama, auburn, lsu, alabama again, georgia, Florida State, Clemson, Alabama once more, lsu again, Texas A&m, Texas, and Notre Dame. and even if we ran the tables yiou would *beep* about the uniforms, player celebrations, helmets, lack of character, play calling, and execution.

If this is for basketball, what a waste. As far as going with the coaches... How about going with the fans and the legitimacy of our program. Legitimate SEC programs do not play Memphis home and home.
Chuck this can help in basketball. Maybe we can get a few more out of Memphis that we wouldn't normally. And Memphis does have some players. But, support the coaches and players or don't.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Of course, Kennedy wants this. Memphis is mid-to-upper level program that Ole Miss can and has beaten in the past. I never said I was against playing Memphis in basketball. If playing them in football is the price we pay for them playing us in basketball, then I get it. I don't like it, but I get it.

Playing Memphis in basketball is a no-brainer for Ole Miss. But, I like it b/c it's a SoS/RPI builder, not b/c it's in Memphis and helps build some fanbase you guys think doesn't exist.
Some Random Dude
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Memphis football fans are dumber than msu fans and that is saying a lot. Memphis football fans are just as hostile as lsu fans but in a childish way and that is saying a lot. Has anybody forgotten them using blue water in water soaker guns to hose down our fans at the game? Memphis is worthless.
BobReb
All SEC
All SEC

bbqit wrote:Memphis football fans are dumber than msu fans and that is saying a lot. Memphis football fans are just as hostile as lsu fans but in a childish way and that is saying a lot. Has anybody forgotten them using blue water in water soaker guns to hose down our fans at the game? Memphis is worthless.
Yep. Waste of money/recourses/time/etc./etc./etc.