Are We A West Contender This Fall?

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

I see a high-end result, based on our tough defense, experienced QB play which is at a premium and skill positions. I know we have to stay healthy, particularly on the O-line, but maybe we're due some breaks there. I see no reason why we can't be in every game, including the ones that the 'experts' call 'brutal' for us. I think we contend for the West. The OMAHA joke is gone. I say the ATLANTA joke is not far behind.
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I personally think that Ole Miss and Auburn are the teams to beat because I believe QB experience matters that much. I'm still not drinking the Auburn kool aid. Freaky miraculous luck made a 3 loss SEC team into a 1 loss SEC Champ. And they lost their biggest weapon in Mason and defensive coaches have had an offseason to scheme against a run happy Malzahn offense. Also we get them in Oxford. Given our experienced leadership at QB, our strong secondary, added depth and the fact that outside of LSU our toughest games are in Oxford...I think we have as good a shot as Any team...unless Bo gets hurt.
jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

I think we will be in those games against the top dogs but we will still probably lose to Bama and a few other teams. Lets not forget that Arkansas will be much improved and we play at their place. UT will be improved, LSU is ALWAYS a threat and will be good and you never know what happens in the egg bowl. My guess is we are improved but finish 8-4 and we should all be happy with 8-4.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

jrebel87 wrote:I think we will be in those games against the top dogs but we will still probably lose to Bama and a few other teams. Lets not forget that Arkansas will be much improved and we play at their place. UT will be improved, LSU is ALWAYS a threat and will be good and you never know what happens in the egg bowl. My guess is we are improved but finish 8-4 and we should all be happy with 8-4.
You'd be happy with 8-4. You'd probably be happy with 4-8 so you dog everyone.

9-3 regular season is our goal this year, IMO. Unless, there are key injuries, then 8-4 or possibly worse.

Bama, LSU, and Auburn are the teams to worry about, IMO. Chuck, I know we have the QB experience and those teams don't really. But, we all said the same thing about Bama with McElroy and he won a dang national championship.
Some Random Dude
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

A major key this year will be the OL. Any injuries there at all could really hurt us. We are razor thin.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

Titles 'R Us wrote:I see a high-end result, based on our tough defense, experienced QB play which is at a premium and skill positions. I know we have to stay healthy, particularly on the O-line, but maybe we're due some breaks there. I see no reason why we can't be in every game, including the ones that the 'experts' call 'brutal' for us. I think we contend for the West. The OMAHA joke is gone. I say the ATLANTA joke is not far behind.
No. No we are not.

We are not far off (2-4 years), but in 2014? No. Stop it.
L. S. WHO?
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I think this year is our best chance in the next four or five years. If we don't get to Atlanta this year I am not sure that we will be able to recruit at the level it will take to get over the hump on a consistent basis. Not saying we will get to Atlanta this year, or should...just saying that I think this year we have the best chance we have had since Eli and as good a chance as any other West team....and I think our chances may actually decrease in 2015 as we move further away from the "all planets aligned" recruiting success of 2013. We have seen Feeeze's recruiting prowess. This is the year he needs to show us that his coaching can make a difference. He needs to step his game day coaching up to his pay grade. He needs to outsmart his fellow Ark State alum and draw something up to get to a more human Saban. He's already shown he can out coach Miles and Mullen. I believe he can do it. And I believe he will. It's funny but as one of his most vocal original critics I seem to have more belief in his teams than most. I did last year...and I do this year. No more poor mouthing... No excuses. He has the players to do this.
Last edited by Rebchuck18 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

oxpatchreb wrote:
Titles 'R Us wrote:I see a high-end result, based on our tough defense, experienced QB play which is at a premium and skill positions. I know we have to stay healthy, particularly on the O-line, but maybe we're due some breaks there. I see no reason why we can't be in every game, including the ones that the 'experts' call 'brutal' for us. I think we contend for the West. The OMAHA joke is gone. I say the ATLANTA joke is not far behind.
No. No we are not.

We are not far off (2-4 years), but in 2014? No. Stop it.
Two to four years? We'd be way underachieving if that's your time span. And what do you mean, stop it? Settling for mediocrity doesn't cut it with me. Freeze has recruited to win a title, and I expect to see results sooner, not later.
jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

You'd be happy with 8-4. You'd probably be happy with 4-8 so you dog everyone.

9-3 regular season is our goal this year, IMO. Unless, there are key injuries, then 8-4 or possibly worse.

Bama, LSU, and Auburn are the teams to worry about, IMO. Chuck, I know we have the QB experience and those teams don't really. But, we all said the same thing about Bama with McElroy and he won a dang national championship.[/quot
9-3 would be great but lets go ahead and admit the fact that 8-4 would be an improvement over the previous two years especially if we win the bowl game and finish 9-4. Look, this is the SEC west. There will be a loss or two that we didn't expect and if you're underestimating how good state, UT, and Arkansas are going to be then you do so at your own expense because we face Arkansas at their place and UT/state are never easy. A 8-4 finish wouldn't leave me *beep* but it sure sounds like you would be upset about it.
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

jrebel87 wrote:You'd be happy with 8-4. You'd probably be happy with 4-8 so you dog everyone.

Bama, LSU, and Auburn are the teams to worry about, IMO. Chuck, I know we have the QB experience and those teams don't really. But, we all said the same thing about Bama with McElroy and he won a dang national championship.[/quot
9-3 would be great but lets go ahead and admit the fact that 8-4 would be an improvement over the previous two years especially if we win the bowl game and finish 9-4. Look, this is the SEC west. There will be a loss or two that we didn't expect and if you're underestimating how good state, UT, and Arkansas are going to be then you do so at your own expense because we face Arkansas at their place and UT/state are never easy. A 8-4 finish wouldn't leave me *beep* but it sure sounds like you would be upset about it.
I don't see Arkansas being good because I think they hired the wrong guy for the SEC. Bielema thinks he can run an old-school, Big Ten, three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust offense in today's SEC, and he's been whining long and loud about the HUNH offenses in the league because that's not what he does or knows how to coach. I expect the Hogs to occupy the SEC West cellar for the second straight year.

UT was as competitive as it was at times (though not often) because of senior leadership which Butch Jones inherited. UT graduated a ton of seniors and will be starting over. I do not expect the Vols to be a player this year.

Because of our QB experience, I also expect us to have an advantage over the other SEC West teams. Won't guarantee a win, of course, but it's nonsense to assume that we are overmatched in any of our games. I agree with Chuck that this is a year in which we will have some leadership and experience that other teams won't have and will have to work through. If we capitalize on that and go to Atlanta, our recruiting will continue at a higher level naturally.

This is not a time for program apologists and those obsessed with past bad hires and underachieving results.
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

When I just look at our team I would say we have a chance to win the west. When I look at the rest of the west I would say things will have to fall just right for us to win the west. Bama, lsu, auburn are still top drawer. Atm and msu are good and to say different is a mistake. I really don't know what ark is thinking right now and don't look for them to be very good yet ive been wrong on them before and if they play good against auburn in that first game the sec west becomes a lord of the rings battle royal.
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

bbqit wrote:When I just look at our team I would say we have a chance to win the west. When I look at the rest of the west I would say things will have to fall just right for us to win the west. Bama, lsu, auburn are still top drawer. Atm and msu are good and to say different is a mistake. I really don't know what ark is thinking right now and don't look for them to be very good yet ive been wrong on them before and if they play good against auburn in that first game the sec west becomes a lord of the rings battle royal.
I think I'm not the only one who is curious to see how Sumlin fares without a QB phenom to literally snatch victories from defeats. The last four years, Sumlin has had two insane QB's running his offenses at Houston and A & M. Life after Manziel, etc. Lots of other graduation losses, too. So, I say A & M is a big question mark until proven otherwise. And we won't have long to wait, since the Aggies go to South Carolina to kickoff the SEC season.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Titles 'R Us wrote:
bbqit wrote:When I just look at our team I would say we have a chance to win the west. When I look at the rest of the west I would say things will have to fall just right for us to win the west. Bama, lsu, auburn are still top drawer. Atm and msu are good and to say different is a mistake. I really don't know what ark is thinking right now and don't look for them to be very good yet ive been wrong on them before and if they play good against auburn in that first game the sec west becomes a lord of the rings battle royal.
I think I'm not the only one who is curious to see how Sumlin fares without a QB phenom to literally snatch victories from defeats. The last four years, Sumlin has had two insane QB's running his offenses at Houston and A & M. Life after Manziel, etc. Lots of other graduation losses, too. So, I say A & M is a big question mark until proven otherwise. And we won't have long to wait, since the Aggies go to South Carolina to kickoff the SEC season.
I wouldn't put it past Sumlin to find another one. We'll see.

I really don't expect us to win the West, but we do have the best shot at it this year than we have since Eli's senior year(like Chuck said). Like one of the ESPN analysts said(can't remember which one), if we get past Bama and are undefeated, watch out.
Some Random Dude
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

I forgot to add that I am very, very curious as to how Lane Kiffin works out and work with Saban at 'Bama. Two monumental egos, and one that has engineered train wrecks at the schools he's had no qualms about leaving at the first opportunity. Saban must see something in Kiffin that either isn't there, or he can utilize the way no one else has been able to. Regardless, I wish 'Bama the worst with this duo picking out the 'Theme from Deliverance' on a coupla banjos...er, playbooks.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Titles 'R Us wrote:I forgot to add that I am very, very curious as to how Lane Kiffin works out and work with Saban at 'Bama. Two monumental egos, and one that has engineered train wrecks at the schools he's had no qualms about leaving at the first opportunity. Saban must see something in Kiffin that either isn't there, or he can utilize the way no one else has been able to. Regardless, I wish 'Bama the worst with this duo picking out the 'Theme from Deliverance' on a coupla banjos...er, playbooks.
Didn't think about that. I just can't see that working out. But, I also can't see Saban screwing up that badly. It'll be interesting to see what happens.
Some Random Dude