Are We A West Contender This Fall?

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Titles 'R Us wrote:I forgot to add that I am very, very curious as to how Lane Kiffin works out and work with Saban at 'Bama. Two monumental egos, and one that has engineered train wrecks at the schools he's had no qualms about leaving at the first opportunity. Saban must see something in Kiffin that either isn't there, or he can utilize the way no one else has been able to. Regardless, I wish 'Bama the worst with this duo picking out the 'Theme from Deliverance' on a coupla banjos...er, playbooks.

This whole thing is unsaban like. Hired gun qb, kiffen hired and done like he doesn't trust anything he already had. It's like going for 4th and six and calling a draw play. You end up either genius or a goat. Miles has more experience with that.
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

bbqit wrote:
Titles 'R Us wrote:I forgot to add that I am very, very curious as to how Lane Kiffin works out and work with Saban at 'Bama. Two monumental egos, and one that has engineered train wrecks at the schools he's had no qualms about leaving at the first opportunity. Saban must see something in Kiffin that either isn't there, or he can utilize the way no one else has been able to. Regardless, I wish 'Bama the worst with this duo picking out the 'Theme from Deliverance' on a coupla banjos...er, playbooks.

This whole thing is unsaban like. Hired gun qb, kiffen hired and done like he doesn't trust anything he already had. It's like going for 4th and six and calling a draw play. You end up either genius or a goat. Miles has more experience with that.
Yep. Guys, I think we have a window of opportunity to capitalize on some transitions and maybe some bad hires. I'm pulling for Bo to have a great, healthy senior season and for Freeze to truly emerge as the next big thing at Ole Miss. (The promise is there in his first two season results.)
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Saban has shown some un-Saban like almost human tendencies at times the last couple years, which is another reason I think we have a good shot. But to do it our whole mentality has to change...from us all the way to Freeze. We have to believe we can do it, especially Freeze. And he has to convey that to his team. He has to tell his QB that he believes in him so that the guy is not looking over his shoulder every play to see if he is coming out. Don't for one second think that doesn't effect his confidence. But we have to quit thinking we are somehow less, even when we have a clear advantage. You can be d*** sure Malzahn was preaching "we can" and "we can now!" From the moment he landed in Auburn. If our coach and players do not believe, we won't do it. I believe we can!
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

Titles 'R Us wrote:Two to four years? We'd be way underachieving if that's your time span. And what do you mean, stop it? Settling for mediocrity doesn't cut it with me. Freeze has recruited to win a title, and I expect to see results sooner, not later.
This is year #3 in Freezes tenure. If we had followed a normal rebuilding progression, we'd have barely gone bowling last year and we'd be expecting 7 reg season wins this year. I'm not going to penalize the man because he brought in a stupid good class 2 seasons ago and managed to scratch out bowl bids in his first 2 seasons, and automatically tighten my hands around his neck. If anything, I'm inclined to give him MORE time and MORE leeway because he did something so unexpected.

This thread is about CONTENDING for the west, not predicting when we're going to win it. If we are contending in 2 seasons (meaning, the preseason expectations before the 2016 season) that's right on track for a brand new coach taking over an Ole Miss team from Houston "Horrific Train Wreck" Nutt.

I can softly buy into RebChucks premise that because of the status of the rest of the division and our relatively talented team in 2014, that we CAN contend for the West. However, to expect it in 2014 is stupid and naive. To tell everyone that you expect OM to contend in the West is stupid. To post it all over message boards and blogs, raising expectations for other OM fans and contributing to this whirlwind of outlandish hype and pressure packed environment for our team to play in is stupid. Once again, we play in the toughest division of the toughest conference in the entire friggin country. It's freezes 3rd season, for crying out loud. Let's get some perspective. 4 or 5 SEC wins (good for 3rd or 4th in the West) and 8 (or possibly 9) total wins would be an excellent season for Freeze in 2014.

I did not say, settle for mediocrity. I beat the "deliver results according to the status of our program" drum louder than anyone. It was my main problem with Bianco and AK before they made their runs. What I'm saying is that if we fail to contend for the West this season, no one should be upset about us not living up to their expectations. Settling for mediocrity would be saying that all Freeze has to do is win 8 or 9 every year and you are happy. That's not what I'm saying, I'm saying that we shouldn't expect to win 9 or 10 right now. In 1 or 2 years? Sure. In 3 or 4? 10+ will be the expectation. That's not mediocre at all...

We should not expect to contend this season. We CAN expect to go to a bowl game, win it and possibly win 9 regular season ( I think 8). We should expect to see improved overall football from last season. We should expect to see better game day coaching. We should expect to sign a good class this year (not in numbers, but in strong talent in areas of need). We should expect to see us play the big boys closer and be in every game.

These are realistic goals. Saying we should be at the top of the SEC West with 1 or 2 games to go in 2014 is stupid and unrealistic in a coaches 3rd year.
L. S. WHO?
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

oxpatchreb wrote:
Titles 'R Us wrote:Two to four years? We'd be way underachieving if that's your time span. And what do you mean, stop it? Settling for mediocrity doesn't cut it with me. Freeze has recruited to win a title, and I expect to see results sooner, not later.
This is year #3 in Freezes tenure. If we had followed a normal rebuilding progression, we'd have barely gone bowling last year and we'd be expecting 7 reg season wins this year. I'm not going to penalize the man because he brought in a stupid good class 2 seasons ago and managed to scratch out bowl bids in his first 2 seasons, and automatically tighten my hands around his neck. If anything, I'm inclined to give him MORE time and MORE leeway because he did something so unexpected.

This thread is about CONTENDING for the west, not predicting when we're going to win it. If we are contending in 2 seasons (meaning, the preseason expectations before the 2016 season) that's right on track for a brand new coach taking over an Ole Miss team from Houston "Horrific Train Wreck" Nutt.

I can softly buy into RebChucks premise that because of the status of the rest of the division and our relatively talented team in 2014, that we CAN contend for the West. However, to expect it in 2014 is stupid and naive. To tell everyone that you expect OM to contend in the West is stupid. To post it all over message boards and blogs, raising expectations for other OM fans and contributing to this whirlwind of outlandish hype and pressure packed environment for our team to play in is stupid. Once again, we play in the toughest division of the toughest conference in the entire friggin country. It's freezes 3rd season, for crying out loud. Let's get some perspective. 4 or 5 SEC wins (good for 3rd or 4th in the West) and 8 (or possibly 9) total wins would be an excellent season for Freeze in 2014.

I did not say, settle for mediocrity. I beat the "deliver results according to the status of our program" drum louder than anyone. It was my main problem with Bianco and AK before they made their runs. What I'm saying is that if we fail to contend for the West this season, no one should be upset about us not living up to their expectations. Settling for mediocrity would be saying that all Freeze has to do is win 8 or 9 every year and you are happy. That's not what I'm saying, I'm saying that we shouldn't expect to win 9 or 10 right now. In 1 or 2 years? Sure. In 3 or 4? 10+ will be the expectation. That's not mediocre at all...

We should not expect to contend this season. We CAN expect to go to a bowl game, win it and possibly win 9 regular season ( I think 8). We should expect to see improved overall football from last season. We should expect to see better game day coaching. We should expect to sign a good class this year (not in numbers, but in strong talent in areas of need). We should expect to see us play the big boys closer and be in every game.

These are realistic goals. Saying we should be at the top of the SEC West with 1 or 2 games to go in 2014 is stupid and unrealistic in a coaches 3rd year.
I'm with you on this. But... last year wasn't Malzahn's 3rd year, it was his first. I know a lot of those players were recruited for his system to begin with, but for him to leave, have such a bad year, and then him come back and win the conference with a converted DB at QB? It can be done. We have talent and I believe we've got a better shot than half the teams in our division. Doesn't mean we'll do it. I think 9 wins is the goal. But, with break here or there, it could happen.
Some Random Dude
GtownRebel
All American
All American

I don't think Bo Wallace is looking over his shoulder at anyone to replace him. The QB job is his this season as he is the most experienced QB we have and he knows the plays like the back of his hand. As long as he doesn't force a pass into traffic, or loses it running over the goal line, he will have a great opportunity to exceed in an offense that is known to score lots of points. I think our "D" will be up to any challenge as long as we don't have lots of injuries. I believe we have a better than even cahnce of doing something really special in football this season. But I agree...it starts with the coach in believing in the team and its players.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Looks like some's expectations are a little high. If anybody on here thinks bama isn't loaded for bear again, then just sit back and watch. Just because they lost a QB last year, doesn't mean they don't have anybody waiting. The good recruiting year we had a couple of years ago, bama and awbarn and A&M and LSU have them EVERY year. Some on here need to get a grip. I'm hoping for 9 wins this year, and barring a lot of injuries, think we'll get that. But our OL couldn't be thinner. If Bo's shoulder doesn't hold out all year, either one of these could hurt us kill our year.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

If our team has this attitude, we are already done. There is nothing "stupid or naive" about believing this team has a GOOD shot at contending for the West. We play a Bama team breaking in a new QB in Oxford relatively early in the schedule, we get Auburn and MSU in Oxford. Arkansas and Tennesse are behind the curve and rebuilding. Vandy lost their coach. We give LSU fits in Baton Rouge and A&M lost Superman. If we can't contend this year, Chucky38 may be right...we never will. Why are we the only program in the West that doesn't believe in themselves?
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

Rebchuck18 wrote:If our team has this attitude, we are already done. There is nothing "stupid or naive" about believing this team has a GOOD shot at contending for the West. We play a Bama team breaking in a new QB in Oxford relatively early in the schedule, we get Auburn and MSU in Oxford. Arkansas and Tennesse are behind the curve and rebuilding. Vandy lost their coach. We give LSU fits in Baton Rouge and A&M lost Superman. If we can't contend this year, Chucky38 may be right...we never will. Why are we the only program in the West that doesn't believe in themselves?

Right with Chuck on all this. We have a percentage of our fan base that still dwells on the fact that we have been burned badly over the years. By Sloan, Tuberville, Orgeron and Nutt, particularly. Some of our fans expect us to fail or fall short. If you're one of them, you're welcome to that attitude, or some structured scale of what teams are supposed to do in whatever years.

Ole Miss has the facilities and coaching to compete and win in the SEC, period. Our rivals love to torture us with the 'Ole Miss can't get to Atlanta' joke. We have a percentage of our fans that believe we can't and express it in their posts, afraid of being burned again.

Get over it. Why live in the failures of the past? Expect titles. Be disappointed when we don't earn them. Don't settle for minor bowls. O.M.A.H.A. is a thing of the past now. 'Ole Miss can't get to Atlanta' has to be next. And, BTW, fans expecting their team to win and win big does not put pressure on the team. Nor do Athlon and Lindy's or talking heads' predictions, pro or con. That's the worst BS ever. Don't be afraid to expect the best and leave the results to the coaches and players. Today, no one in the stands or on message boards ever won or lost a game, or even played a down in those games.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Who on here has said we won't get to Atlanta? It's called being realistic. We still don't have the players that bama, awbarn, A&M, LSU and others have. Not depth wise through out the team. Last year all 4 of those had top 10 recruiting years if I'm not wrong. And they probably did the year before that, and the year before that. They have out recruited us just about every year. Any of those other teams have the lack of personal we have on the OL? What kind of QB bama has, I have no idea. I do know they have 4 and 5 stars players through out their team. So do the others I mentioned. I also know if we have one major injury on the line, we're in trouble. Bo will also have to prove his arm will hold up through out the season. Not getting your hopes up to 'title or bust' isn't being a bad fan. We're still a couple of years from making that statement. But we will get there, just need to be patient. We are only a couple years from not winning a SEC game. So in 3 years, yall expect to go from winless to champs in the west, land of the NC's.
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

Why not? Auburn went from winless to winning the SEC in two years. Who expected that? You're placing way too much emphasis on recruiting rankings, past history and conventional wisdom.

For that matter, no one expected our baseball team to win the West, go to Omaha and finish in the Final Four, but they did. I think we have a legit shot at surprising everyone in football the same way.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Titles 'R Us wrote:Why not? Auburn went from winless to winning the SEC in two years. Who expected that? You're placing way too much emphasis on recruiting rankings, past history and conventional wisdom.

For that matter, no one expected our baseball team to win the West, go to Omaha and finish in the Final Four, but they did. I think we have a legit shot at surprising everyone in football the same way.
awbarn also had a team FULL of talent. We get out recruited EVERY year by these teams, EVERY year. We don't in baseball. We usually out recruit most in the league. I think we have a real good shot at a very good season. Just don't think we win the west yet. In another couple of years, I think we can. I just don't think we're there yet. If u do, more power to u. I do think u will be disappointed though.
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

The difference in Auburn's winless SEC season and their SEC Title season back-to-back was the head coaching. I'm always amazed when people don't acknowledge that the right head coach can make a difference immediately. Malzahn took most of the same players that Chizik didn't know what to do with and came within an eyelash of winning the NC. And speaking of baseball, Dan McDonnell took the same players at Louisville at a program that had never even been to the baseball tournament and went to the CWS his first year there.

So, is it really the talent or the coaching? It's obvious. The right head coach can win anywhere with any facilities in a short time and sometimes immediately. More talent is gravy for him. I see no point in promoting this 'Ole Miss is a little brother to the rest of the West' crap in post after post. I think we have the right head coach, and I expect results now. And it's not about me being 'disappointed.' It's about the program doing great things consistently.
Last edited by Titles 'R Us on Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

If you want to see the difference positive coaching and attitude can make over negative coaching and attitude just look at our 2012 game against Texas vs our 2013 game. We lost the 2012 game before we ever walked on the field because our coach didn't think we had a chance and coached like that. In 2013 I think our coach (and players) knew we had a chance and knew we were going to win.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Titles 'R Us wrote:The difference in Auburn's winless SEC season and their SEC Title season back-to-back was the head coaching. I'm always amazed when people don't acknowledge that the right head coach can make a difference immediately. Malzahn took most of the same players that Chizik didn't know what to do with and came within an eyelash of winning the NC. And speaking of baseball, Dan McDonnell took the same players at Louisville at a program that had never even been to the baseball tournament and went to the CWS his first year there.

So, is it really the talent or the coaching? It's obvious. The right head coach can win anywhere with any facilities in a short time and sometimes immediately. More talent is gravy for him. I see no point in promoting this 'Ole Miss is a little brother to the rest of the West' crap in post after post. I think we have the right head coach, and I expect results now. And it's not about me being 'disappointed.' It's about the program doing great things consistently.
The difference in the 2 seasons at awbarn was the players quit on the coach, plain and simple. Just like our players quit on nutt. Not saying Malzahan isn't a very good coach, just that the players quit on the previous awbarn staff, hence their suck record. I'm only saying we're still a couple of years from challenging for the west, never said anything about little brother bs. We don't go from little talent to challenging for the NC in 3 years, which is usually what the west winner does. And if u don't think recruiting and talent don't matter, let's put 2 evenly match coaches on 2 teams. One team loaded with talent, the other with pretty good talent. The team loaded would win at least 9 out of 10. We're headed in the right direction, it's just gonna take some time to get the talent at ALL the positions, which we ain't quite there yet. Look no further than the OL, major concern this year. Other teams just plug in another 4-5 star to replace the one that left. We can't do that yet. Guess we're just agree to disagree.