Moderator: Rebel Security

BobReb
All SEC
All SEC

I certainly believe we have a chance.
GtownRebel
All American
All American

I think there are some justification for both views. Bama and Auburn have always had good players. LSU too for that matter. Not always have they had good coaches. Bama and Auburn have good coaches. But what is missing is the guy that touches the ball every offensive play other than the center and that is the QB. The spring game at Bama this year was dull and non-explosive - the loss an AJ will hurt them early in the season when we play them. Yes, they have a great surrounding cast and have a transfer QB coming in, but they still have to learn to play together as a unit and know the plays to run. Auburn is in the same situation but they have a better coach at the helm in my opinion. Bama has Kiffin as OC...enough said there. Auburn as the HC and is really offensive minded. I am more concerned with Auburn than Bama, but both can and will beat you if you aren't playing top football. I understand the recruiting piece that was thrown out and I agree if you are looking at the star ratings of players, which is nice for bragging rights but doesn't work if you don't have a coach that knows how to use it. Bama's defense will have to adjust to the speed of the game and having those 350 lb. DT's doesn't work against Auburn or us that run the nextplay in 10 seconds. And they have not adjusted their defense to the fast pace ones coming against them. I think we do have a very good chance but the coach has to have faith in his players and especially the QB to execute the game plan and not vary off it. We are David and they are Goliath, so it will be interesting to watch each game. The most important game right now is Boise State in Atlanta, which is our first game. This one should let us know how we stack up to the competition real quick.
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

Gtown: I have to say, "Whoa, there!" about something you just passed over like it was gospel. You said, "Kiffin as OC at Bama--enough said!" Kiffin's track record the last few years at USC and Tennessee has been miserable. He's been touted as a wonder boy, but he hasn't proven it. And, frankly, I'm still wondering how Kiffin and Saban are going to get along when push comes to shove. Is Saban going to let him run things carte blance, knowing how hands-on Saban is about every aspect of the program? And, even if Saban lets him do that, is it going to work? I am totally not sold on Kiffin as anything more than a spoiled illusion in the football business.

We shall see.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Titles 'R Us wrote:Gtown: I have to say, "Whoa, there!" about something you just passed over like it was gospel. You said, "Kiffin as OC at Bama--enough said!" Kiffin's track record the last few years at USC and Tennessee has been miserable. He's been touted as a wonder boy, but he hasn't proven it. And, frankly, I'm still wondering how Kiffin and Saban are going to get along when push comes to shove. Is Saban going to let him run things carte blance, knowing how hands-on Saban is about every aspect of the program? And, even if Saban lets him do that, is it going to work? I am totally not sold on Kiffin as anything more than a spoiled illusion in the football business.

We shall see.
I think he meant 'Kiffin sucks,nuff said'.

But, I disagree about Bama. Like I stated, a few years ago we were on here talking about how Bama wouldn't be Bama b/c they had a new QB and they won a title. The defense has adjusted. They had trouble with us 2 seasons ago and A&M, too. But, this past season they handled us easily and beat A&M. And they lost to Auburn on that last second fluke of a play that the defense played no part in. Auburn may have won in OT, but who knows.

I still think this is our best shot, I just remember us saying the same things about Bama when McElroy took over and it didn't turn out well for anybody other than Bama.
Some Random Dude
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

Ah--okay about Gtown's Kiffin remark!
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

Rebchuck18 wrote:If our team has this attitude, we are already done. There is nothing "stupid or naive" about believing this team has a GOOD shot at contending for the West. We play a Bama team breaking in a new QB in Oxford relatively early in the schedule, we get Auburn and MSU in Oxford. Arkansas and Tennesse are behind the curve and rebuilding. Vandy lost their coach. We give LSU fits in Baton Rouge and A&M lost Superman. If we can't contend this year, Chucky38 may be right...we never will. Why are we the only program in the West that doesn't believe in themselves?

You're better than this, Chuck. I didn't say a single word about our teams beliefs or confidence. FOR THE RECORD: I hope our team walks into every single game, 100% convinced that they WILL WIN, not thinking or believing or hoping or wishing. I WANT THEM TO KNOW THEY ARE GOING TO WIN EVERY GAME.

Now that that's out of the way, I'm talking about our fans, Chuck. Realistic expectations has a very real and very tangible impact on A) How we view the season, the amount of fun we have and whether we enjoy it or not and B) The coaches approval rating and level of heat on his seat.

Fans need to keep and discuss rational, reasonable expectations. We can talk about what we HOPE and DREAM for this team in 2014. And as I said in my post, I agree with you that anything is POSSIBLE in 2014 because of the state of the division and our own team. BUT TO EXPECT us to contend for the west in 2014 is the very definition of naive and stupid.

We (our fans, not the team) should EXPECT 7 or 8 wins, plus a bowl win.

We (our fans, not the team) should HOPE, PRAY, CHEER, DESIRE, CRAVE, LUST, BEG and HUNGER for a West title. I don't know how to make it more clear than that.

Any Ole Miss fan that EXPECTS us to win the West this season and will be angry if we don't is a naive, ignorant, feckless moron and I don't want them spreading that garbage around, making the rest of us look stupid, arrogant and foolish.
L. S. WHO?
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

Titles 'R Us wrote:Why not? Auburn went from winless to winning the SEC in two years. Who expected that? You're placing way too much emphasis on recruiting rankings, past history and conventional wisdom.

For that matter, no one expected our baseball team to win the West, go to Omaha and finish in the Final Four, but they did. I think we have a legit shot at surprising everyone in football the same way.
AUBURN'S SITUATION WAS/IS NOT EVEN REMOTELY CLOSE TO OURS, AT ALL, IN ANY WAY, ON ANY PLANET, IN ANY POSSIBLE CONCEPTION OF THE WORD.
L. S. WHO?
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

BobReb wrote:I certainly believe we have a chance.
Which is perfectly fine. And I 100% agree.
L. S. WHO?
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

Rebchuck18 wrote:If you want to see the difference positive coaching and attitude can make over negative coaching and attitude just look at our 2012 game against Texas vs our 2013 game. We lost the 2012 game before we ever walked on the field because our coach didn't think we had a chance and coached like that. In 2013 I think our coach (and players) knew we had a chance and knew we were going to win.

Flat out wrong. You cannot possibly be MORE wrong if you think our team, staff and coaches went into the 2012 Texas game with that attitude. Regardless of what kind of coach speak you hear in the media, our entire program believes they can win any and all games on gameday. They played and coached their hearts out, they went into that game confident and ready to win. We got out played, plain and simple.

That's a really *beep* thing to say, Chuck. This team and staff NEVER think they are out of a single snap in ANY football game, much less that we're going to lose before the first play. NEVER.
L. S. WHO?
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

oxpatchreb: this is a message board, and everyone is entitled to an opinion. But, for the record, the idea that certain posters expecting a breakout season makes everyone else look foolish is about the worst, most program-apologetic post I've ever read. Good God, man, can you really believe that message board/pre-season predictions affect anything on the field? I understand that Twitter is a monstrosity that ought to be outlawed by coaches because all it does is create mischief. But other than that, what happens on the field is NEVER affected by what the fans think. It's up to the coaches to coach and the players to execute. And those of us that want to have opinions or expectations will continue to have them. Geez. P.S. Why are you so angry, and what in any of the posts you disagree with would cause you to call some of us morons?
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Titles: 'monstrosity', I'm impressed. If the words get much bigger, I may not be able to follow along. 8-)
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

1) Freeze essentially said in the pre-game interview for the 2012 Texas Game that his team was not ready to be on the field with Texas
2) I know that Bama is still Bama and Saban is still Saban, but in the last three years Miles, Sumlin and Malzahn each schemed ways to beat him. Why not Freeze? Especially when they are brand new at the most important position on the field. If we don't raise expectations we probably won't reach them.
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

Titles 'R Us wrote:oxpatchreb: this is a message board, and everyone is entitled to an opinion. But, for the record, the idea that certain posters expecting a breakout season makes everyone else look foolish is about the worst, most program-apologetic post I've ever read. Good God, man, can you really believe that message board/pre-season predictions affect anything on the field? I understand that Twitter is a monstrosity that ought to be outlawed by coaches because all it does is create mischief. But other than that, what happens on the field is NEVER affected by what the fans think. It's up to the coaches to coach and the players to execute. And those of us that want to have opinions or expectations will continue to have them. Geez. P.S. Why are you so angry, and what in any of the posts you disagree with would cause you to call some of us morons?
What??? Is that really what you took away from my posts (all of them) in this thread??!?! That what we talk about as fans makes a difference on the field??!?!?

I am completely.... flabbergasted by you if you honestly think that after reading my posts. Just..... astonished.
L. S. WHO?
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

Rebchuck18 wrote:1) Freeze essentially said in the pre-game interview for the 2012 Texas Game that his team was not ready to be on the field with Texas
2) I know that Bama is still Bama and Saban is still Saban, but in the last three years Miles, Sumlin and Malzahn each schemed ways to beat him. Why not Freeze? Especially when they are brand new at the most important position on the field. If we don't raise expectations we probably won't reach them.
1) Coach speak. Everyone uses it. All coaches do it. What coaches say to the public is and always and forever will be different than what he says to his team. Always. You know that.

2) The talent gap between teams coached by Miles, Sumlin and Malzhan and our own is bigger than you think. It is shrinking. Freeze is bringing in more talent, in each class than we've seen in any other 3 year period. But we are not there yet. I will repeat, again, so it's crystal clear. It is fine to hope and pray for us to beat Bama and contend for the West in 2014. It is NOT fine to EXPECT it. Fans should be rational about expectations NOT HOPES AND DREAMS before a season. If we all just up and DECIDE that Freeze had BETTER win the West this year and he does not, it creates a huge rift between the staff and fans that is irreparable. We have a responsibility to expect rational things from the team. The coach has a responsibility to deliver rational things to the fans. When either party goes off their rocker and losses their mind, all bets are off.

Having an EXPECTATION of contending for the SECW in year 3 of a coaches tenure (especially one that took over a program like ours after Houston Nutt) is a recipe for disaster.
L. S. WHO?
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

oxpatchreb wrote:
Rebchuck18 wrote:1) Freeze essentially said in the pre-game interview for the 2012 Texas Game that his team was not ready to be on the field with Texas
1) Coach speak. Everyone uses it. All coaches do it. What coaches say to the public is and always and forever will be different than what he says to his team. Always. You know that.

2) The talent gap between teams coached by Miles, Sumlin and Malzhan and our own is bigger than you think. It is shrinking. Freeze is bringing in more talent, in each class than we've seen in any other 3 year period. But we are not there yet. I will repeat, again, so it's crystal clear. It is fine to hope and pray for us to beat Bama and contend for the West in 2014. It is NOT fine to EXPECT it. Fans should be rational about expectations NOT HOPES AND DREAMS before a season. If we all just up and DECIDE that Freeze had BETTER win the West this year and he does not, it creates a huge rift between the staff and fans that is irreparable. We have a responsibility to expect rational things from the team. The coach has a responsibility to deliver rational things to the fans. When either party goes off their rocker and losses their mind, all bets are off.

Having an EXPECTATION of contending for the SECW in year 3 of a coaches tenure (especially one that took over a program like ours after Houston Nutt) is a recipe for disaster.
Okay, oxpatch. I concede. You have campaigned for and won the role of Expectation Police for the entire fan base. Hey, and you're not bad at lecturing, either!