Hitting Coach Candidates?

Baseball Related Discussions

Moderators: oxfordrebel, Rebel Security

Rebel PT2
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

I've been patiently waiting some info out of Oxford regarding replacement coaches for Cliff, and wondering what people are hearing who are closer to the pulse. Any info?
"I'm not an athlete. I'm a professional baseball player."
-John Kruk
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

all I can hear are crickets...??
Later,
Hagar
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Mike Clement - Kansas State Hitting coach

Clement just completed his second year as hitting coach at Kansas State. In 2013, Clement guided the Wildcats to a No. 2 national ranking in team batting average at .322, leading the Big XII by 39 points. K-State hosted a regional and advanced to super regional play. He spent three years at Texas A&M prior to his time in Manhattan, winning the conference in 2010 and 2011 while also hosting a regional in 2012. The 2011 Aggies went to the College World Series. A&M had 129 steals in 2012. Clement spent four season at UTSA prior to Texas A&M. He was a catcher in college.

And he has worked with our strength and conditioning coach before.

JAKE GAUTREAU - Tulane Hitting coach

Gautreau has been Tulane's hitting coach and recruiting coordinator since 2010. He was the interim head coach for the Green Wave during a segment of the 2014 season. He interviewed for the Tulane opening before it went to Rice assistant David Pierce. He had a lengthy Minor League career after being named the Conference USA Player of the Decade for his time in Tulane. He helped Tulane to the 2001 College World Series.

This is all courtesy of Chase Parham on Rivals.
Some Random Dude
olemissreb10
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I'd love to have gautreau. Guy was a beast at Tulane and a 1st round pick. He's an above average recruiter and young. And from what I hear a really good defensive infielder coach. His offenses at Tulane have been pretty good. But he has been successful, knows what it takes to be successful, and has seen postseason success
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

olemissreb10 wrote:I'd love to have gautreau. Guy was a beast at Tulane and a 1st round pick. He's an above average recruiter and young. And from what I hear a really good defensive infielder coach. His offenses at Tulane have been pretty good. But he has been successful, knows what it takes to be successful, and has seen postseason success
Either one is good, but the Clement guy has been to Omaha as a coach. And his team had the #2 team average last year. And he's worked with Ben Fleming(our current strength and conditioning coach). He has my vote.
Some Random Dude
olemissreb10
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

lewindha wrote:
olemissreb10 wrote:I'd love to have gautreau. Guy was a beast at Tulane and a 1st round pick. He's an above average recruiter and young. And from what I hear a really good defensive infielder coach. His offenses at Tulane have been pretty good. But he has been successful, knows what it takes to be successful, and has seen postseason success
Either one is good, but the Clement guy has been to Omaha as a coach. And his team had the #2 team average last year. And he's worked with Ben Fleming(our current strength and conditioning coach). He has my vote.
I know nothing about him but his resume is impressive. I will be just fine with either one. Still think jerry Zulli is a candidate as well
olemissreb10
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

LSU hitting coach/recruiting coordinator position just opened up. Great
olemissreb10
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Should be announcement in the next 24 hours
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

olemissreb10 wrote:Should be announcement in the next 24 hours
It's Mike Clement of K. St.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
olemissreb10
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

rebeljim wrote:
olemissreb10 wrote:Should be announcement in the next 24 hours
It's Mike Clement of K. St.
Interested to see how this affects our recruiting. Expect less Florida kids and more Texas. I'm hoping we have a solid enough footprint in Orlando to where we can get the top there, top of Dulin, and some more Alex Yarboroughs from Texas.
academy reb
Scout Team
Scout Team

The Rivals Baseball Guru said Lafferty did a lot of the Florida recruiting. Don't know if that's so, but. if true, this hire would open up Texas and the Midwest.
I only like helmeted sports, hockey, baseball, football, war.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

academy reb wrote:The Rivals Baseball Guru said Lafferty did a lot of the Florida recruiting. Don't know if that's so, but. if true, this hire would open up Texas and the Midwest.
Godwin was/is a great recruiter, but some feel that Lafferty is the best recruiter and he did handle a lot of Florida. This hire opens up some new 'regions' to us. This is the guy I was hoping we'd hire after seeing the resumes of the candidates.
Some Random Dude
olemissreb10
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

lewindha wrote:
academy reb wrote:The Rivals Baseball Guru said Lafferty did a lot of the Florida recruiting. Don't know if that's so, but. if true, this hire would open up Texas and the Midwest.
Godwin was/is a great recruiter, but some feel that Lafferty is the best recruiter and he did handle a lot of Florida. This hire opens up some new 'regions' to us. This is the guy I was hoping we'd hire after seeing the resumes of the candidates.

It's hard to deny the results he's gotten at utsa, aTm, and ksu. Everywhere he goes sets offensive records and wins. He seems like a good fit. I like that he is aggressive in the basepads. And he's young enough
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

Looks like a good hire to me. Looking forward to next season.