Are We A West Contender This Fall?

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I refuse to cower in a corner or apologize for believing in this team (and this coach) this year. I have not done it in a way that attacks anyone else or calls them names. It is simply what I believe. I was told my expectations were too high last year when I said we were better than Texas and that we should win 8 games at least. In my opinion we have the most complete returning QB in the league. In my opinion we have the best receiving corps and one of the best tight ends in the league. In my opinion we gave the best secondary in the league and an impressive d line and linebacker corps. Those things combined with the third year of the coaches tenure and the challenges facing some of our opponents makes us one of the favorites in the West. I'm not the only one who believes that. It might not happen. But great teams and great coaches embrace expectations. They don't run from them. I believe. If you don't, then fine. But you will not diminish my strong belief that this a year of great promise...the most promise since '03.
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

Rebchuck18 wrote:I refuse to cower in a corner or apologize for believing in this team (and this coach) this year. I have not done it in a way that attacks anyone else or calls them names. It is simply what I believe. I was told my expectations were too high last year when I said we were better than Texas and that we should win 8 games at least. In my opinion we have the most complete returning QB in the league. In my opinion we have the best receiving corps and one of the best tight ends in the league. In my opinion we gave the best secondary in the league and an impressive d line and linebacker corps. Those things combined with the third year of the coaches tenure and the challenges facing some of our opponents makes us one of the favorites in the West. I'm not the only one who believes that. It might not happen. But great teams and great coaches embrace expectations. They don't run from them. I believe. If you don't, then fine. But you will not diminish my strong belief that this a year of great promise...the most promise since '03.
This is my argument, too. As a fan base, we all need to continue to embrace high expectations for our sports programs. I see no reason to agonize over it and second-guess ourselves all the time.
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

I see what both sides are saying here and agree with both somewhat. I think expectations and hope are getting mixed together here. Do I EXPECT us to win the west? No, not really...any team that was in the shape we were in just 3 seasons ago and won 8 game last year shouldn't expect to make that jump in the toughest division in college football IMO. Now, do I hope we can, hell yes. And I also think it's possible. I like the confidence chuck and share that same mentality you have about this team. They are tough and hungry and led by a coach that is the best we've landed in quite a while....IMO. As a lot have been saying, if we can get past that Frickin Bama team that I despise...watch out, a big boost in confidence could do this team wonders.(keep it shut BO)

Having said that, I really believe some set high expectations too early and then that gives them ammo to fire back at Freeze for not meeting his/her expectations. There's nothing wrong with expectations as fans but they need to set for the right reasons, not to play the blame game if it doesn't go our way. This aimed at no one in particular.
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Great thread..I think there have even a lot of good but different points.. I can almost guarantee you that the team goal is to win the West.. From my point of view (and like Chuck mentioned) this is the best shot since Eli in 03. That's not to say the expectation is Atlanta, but it's d*** sure not out of the realm of possibility. Auburn had a magical season. When teams get on runs like that flukey stuff has to happen, and it always does. We started off pretty rough at Auburn last year, but the difference in the game was a pick 6 on a missed block on a screen, when we were about to score. I expect Aubie to be much improved defensively but not quite as good offensively. People are quick to mention Mason, but Robinson, who was their LT, is one of the best run blockers I've ever seen.
I don't think Bama was as good last year because of O line issues. I expect those to be corrected and qb play to be spotty.
I think stanks d coordinator is underrated. I wanted him to leave, but they got smart and paid him. I expect them to be very solid. I don't think they are as explosive as we are, but I believe Prescott is a great fit for Mullen. I think we will enter the Egg bowl within 1 game of each other. Advantage us in Oxford.
A&M will go through some growing pains offensively, also don't see the d improving that much in a year.
LSU will be a 3 maybe 4 loss team at it will be Miles last there.
Arkie, better maybe 1 upset. Just hope not us.
Several stars have to align with us. I think too much has been made about the talent gap. In 2012 it was evident. This year, don't think it's a factor. I think the key is having the talent in the right spot with no glaring weaknesses. I don't see any.. O line doesn't need any injuries, but that's my only big concern. I think defensively we will be better than we have been in years. Bo is the wildcard. If he's the same guy that played in the stank game, 8 wins. If he plays like the Texas game, 9 or 10 could happen.
Football is weird. We won more games last year, but that team was not as good as the previous by the end of the season. My expectation is 8. Happy with 9. 10 Really pumped about 10. Pelvic thrusts and first pumps with 11. 12 would complete me. I do think the west champ will have at least 1 loss. Really could see a tie with 2 losses.
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

Since I'm the OP in this thread, I'll mention that we are favored by 8.5 in our opener against Boise. That's pretty much been the spread all summer. That's solid in a neutral site game, and it reflects Freeze in his third year and upward win curve versus the coaching change that Boise has. I actually expect us to cover that and get the season off to a great start. After that, we have another neutral site game at the Titans' stadium in Nashville. Except that it won't be neutral. Based on last year's bowl game, I expect at least 30,000 Rebs to show versus Vandy to witness the third win against the 'Dores in four years--all in Nashville.

I also expect wins over ULL and Memphis State at home. Why do I post all this? Because I really do EXPECT this team and this coach to get us off to a 4-0 start and make the stakes high against 'Bama. I expect a game plan that will challenge Kiffin and Saban and get us over the hump against the Tide.

Why is any of this foolish or detrimental to the team? Freeze and the players expect to accomplish at least this much and then take it from there as the team to beat. I can't get over the mindset that says something to the effect that 'we can't expect to set the standard in only three years, after Nutt did yada, yada, when other teams always out recruit us and are the ones that win titles, when we can't go for it all because it's wrong to put pressure on the team and some fans might get mad when we fall short, etc.'

Not buying any of that. I expect us to be 4-0 going into the 'Bama game. I expect more. I'm excited to have our Rebs with that kind of scenario now. I loved the way we broke through and won a Super on the road to get to Omaha and get rid of that crappy joke State and LSU fans trotted out every year. We won a title (SEC West), we got to the Final Four in Omaha. I expect a breakthrough in football this year.

Join me, and don't apologize for it.
P-nut
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

Outstanding posts and opinions!! Keep em coming.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Titles 'R Us wrote:Since I'm the OP in this thread, I'll mention that we are favored by 8.5 in our opener against Boise. That's pretty much been the spread all summer. That's solid in a neutral site game, and it reflects Freeze in his third year and upward win curve versus the coaching change that Boise has. I actually expect us to cover that and get the season off to a great start. After that, we have another neutral site game at the Titans' stadium in Nashville. Except that it won't be neutral. Based on last year's bowl game, I expect at least 30,000 Rebs to show versus Vandy to witness the third win against the 'Dores in four years--all in Nashville.

I also expect wins over ULL and Memphis State at home. Why do I post all this? Because I really do EXPECT this team and this coach to get us off to a 4-0 start and make the stakes high against 'Bama. I expect a game plan that will challenge Kiffin and Saban and get us over the hump against the Tide.

Why is any of this foolish or detrimental to the team? Freeze and the players expect to accomplish at least this much and then take it from there as the team to beat. I can't get over the mindset that says something to the effect that 'we can't expect to set the standard in only three years, after Nutt did yada, yada, when other teams always out recruit us and are the ones that win titles, when we can't go for it all because it's wrong to put pressure on the team and some fans might get mad when we fall short, etc.'

Not buying any of that. I expect us to be 4-0 going into the 'Bama game. I expect more. I'm excited to have our Rebs with that kind of scenario now. I loved the way we broke through and won a Super on the road to get to Omaha and get rid of that crappy joke State and LSU fans trotted out every year. We won a title (SEC West), we got to the Final Four in Omaha. I expect a breakthrough in football this year.

Join me, and don't apologize for it.
I won't be upset if we don't win the West. But, I also think we have a better than average shot at it. I want improvement overall. I wanna see more sacks, better 'up the middle' running, Bo with a strong arm, and our receivers cut loose. I can't wait to see how good our defensive backfield is. People have talked about our DB's ad nauseum, but none of the 'pros' even mention Alford(who is one of the reasons they considered moving the All-American Safety Prewitt to LB).

This team has a LOT of potential.

P.S. I also want Freeze to make better decisions in tough spots(A&M). I think he will.
Some Random Dude
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

Yeah, I want Freeze to be the next big thing at Ole Miss, and I think he can do it. I think our D is going to make a lot of noise and put some pressure on a lot of people. Those two A & M games we lost because of Manziel also did have some calls by Freeze that backfired, but I liked the aggressiveness. Against 'Bama, Freeze kept trying for the TD's and not settling for the field goals, and it made the game look like a shutout. But I'm reminded of Cutcliffe settling for field goals Eli's senior year against Texas Tech and losing that shootout. Which would I prefer? The aggressive approach. It's another reason I do think Freeze WILL be the next big thing at Ole Miss and in the SEC.
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I think that for us to win it two people above all else need to step up their gameday performance. 1) Bo Wallace and 2) Hugh Freeze. I think both will rise to the occasion...together.
GtownRebel
All American
All American

oxpatchreb wrote:
Rebchuck18 wrote:1) Freeze essentially said in the pre-game interview for the 2012 Texas Game that his team was not ready to be on the field with Texas
2) I know that Bama is still Bama and Saban is still Saban, but in the last three years Miles, Sumlin and Malzahn each schemed ways to beat him. Why not Freeze? Especially when they are brand new at the most important position on the field. If we don't raise expectations we probably won't reach them.
1) Coach speak. Everyone uses it. All coaches do it. What coaches say to the public is and always and forever will be different than what he says to his team. Always. You know that.

2) The talent gap between teams coached by Miles, Sumlin and Malzhan and our own is bigger than you think. It is shrinking. Freeze is bringing in more talent, in each class than we've seen in any other 3 year period. But we are not there yet. I will repeat, again, so it's crystal clear. It is fine to hope and pray for us to beat Bama and contend for the West in 2014. It is NOT fine to EXPECT it. Fans should be rational about expectations NOT HOPES AND DREAMS before a season. If we all just up and DECIDE that Freeze had BETTER win the West this year and he does not, it creates a huge rift between the staff and fans that is irreparable. We have a responsibility to expect rational things from the team. The coach has a responsibility to deliver rational things to the fans. When either party goes off their rocker and losses their mind, all bets are off.

Having an EXPECTATION of contending for the SECW in year 3 of a coaches tenure (especially one that took over a program like ours after Houston Nutt) is a recipe for disaster.
I have to agree with you on the talent. I said that it would take 4-5 years to get the talent to a competitive level. I was wrong on that timeline. But to get the depth that the top SEC teams have is still on that timeline. I think we have a great chance this year of being at the top because the competition is slightly lower at key positions and will need to be battle tested before they get back up to their normal high level. So there is a window of opportunity that I think we should take advantage of this year. I don't expect to with the West, but I would be happy if we did. We definitely are not the bottom of the barrel as we were with HN. And we are progressing well. It jsut takes time to get back to where we want to be. Fans expectations are always high, but they need to put a little reality into them.

and yes, I think Kiffin sucks. all you have to look at is his history. I think that will help us in the long run if he stays with bama longer than one year.
BobReb
All SEC
All SEC

Paul McCartney:
With a little luck we can work it out, we can make this whole d*** thing work out. :D
Lots of folks here in Oxpatch think it can happen.
If not, hurt, yes, but lose faith, no. Unless we go winless in the SEC as we did under CHN. Highly improbable.
Soon to find out. Stay tuned. I've heard many dark horse rumors. And read some as well.
Every year the sky is the limit. I'm banking on us to at the very least cause a major sweat on the WEST.
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Here’s a look at the The Greek’s SEC Championship odds:
•Alabama 5/4
•LSU 5/2
•South Carolina 5/2
•Auburn 5/1
•Florida 5/1
•Georgia 13/2
•Ole Miss 12/1
•Tennessee 15/1
•Missouri 20/1
•Mississippi State 25/1
•Texas A&M 25/1
•Arkansas 70/1
•Kentucky 80/1
•Vanderbilt 250/1

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2014/s ... june-2014/
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

http://www.oddsshark.com/ncaaf/bcs-nati ... nship-odds

Florida State 5/1
Alabama 6/1
Oregon 8/1
Auburn 9/1
Ohio State 10/1
Oklahoma 12/1
UCLA 16/1
LSU 18/1
Georgia 20/1
Michigan State 20/1
Baylor 28/1
South Carolina 28/1
Stanford 28/1
USC 33/1
Wisconsin 33/1
Florida 40/1
Michigan 40/1
Mississippi 40/1
Notre Dame 40/1
Texas 40/1
Arizona State 66/1
Clemson 66/1
Missouri 66/1
Texas A&M 66/1
Miami 75/1
Nebraska 75/1
Oklahoma State 75/1
Arizona 100/1
Iowa 100/1
Kansas State 100/1
North Carolina 100/1
Tennessee 100/1
Texas Tech 100/1
Washington 100/1
BYU 150/1
Mississippi State 150/1
Virginia Tech 150/1
Oregon State 200/1
Cincinnati 250/1
Louisville 250/1
West Virginia 250/1
Arkansas 300/1
TCU 300/1
Boise State 500/1
Boston College 500/1
California 500/1
Georgia Tech 500/1
Pittsburgh 500/1
South Florida 500/1
UCF 500/1
Rutgers 1000/1
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

lewindha wrote:
I won't be upset if we don't win the West. But, I also think we have a better than average shot at it. I want improvement overall. I wanna see more sacks, better 'up the middle' running, Bo with a strong arm, and our receivers cut loose. I can't wait to see how good our defensive backfield is. People have talked about our DB's ad nauseum, but none of the 'pros' even mention Alford(who is one of the reasons they considered moving the All-American Safety Prewitt to LB).

This team has a LOT of potential.

P.S. I also want Freeze to make better decisions in tough spots(A&M). I think he will.
This is all I ask!!!!! That OM fans everywhere make an effort to separate their expectations, from their wishes.

When someone from another fan base asks for your predictions, use some common sense and reason. When someone asks you if we will win the West of compete for it, say "I hope we can/will, but I don't expect us to."

That's all. Why is that so difficult for some of you?

And for the record, for the last time. OF COURSE the team and coaches believe they can win the West. They should and do believe it every friggin season. That is not the issue here. The issue is the difference between expectations and hopes. Expectations from fans should be reasonable, logical and sane. Hopes and dreams can and SHOULD be as wild and crazy as you can possibly dream.
L. S. WHO?
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

Rebchuck18 wrote:I refuse to cower in a corner or apologize for believing in this team (and this coach) this year. I have not done it in a way that attacks anyone else or calls them names. It is simply what I believe. I was told my expectations were too high last year when I said we were better than Texas and that we should win 8 games at least. In my opinion we have the most complete returning QB in the league. In my opinion we have the best receiving corps and one of the best tight ends in the league. In my opinion we gave the best secondary in the league and an impressive d line and linebacker corps. Those things combined with the third year of the coaches tenure and the challenges facing some of our opponents makes us one of the favorites in the West. I'm not the only one who believes that. It might not happen. But great teams and great coaches embrace expectations. They don't run from them. I believe. If you don't, then fine. But you will not diminish my strong belief that this a year of great promise...the most promise since '03.
Not one time in this entire post did you specifically state that you "Expect us to win the West". And that's all I care about.

As long as you're not running all over creation, telling everyone who will listen that "Ole Miss will win the SECW this season or I'm going to be *beep*!!!!!1!!!@W!@!@1" then I have zero problem with your beliefs. In fact, I encourage you to believe and support and hope for this team to win the national championship, for crying out loud. That's what fans do.

I do NOT want you to expect us to win the SECW and the NC. To the point that you will be upset if we do not meet those expectations. This is all very simple stuff. And I'm just doing my part to help our fans maintain reasonable, logical expectations. Which as COMPLETELY DIFFERENT AND SEPARATE from their wishes and dreams.
L. S. WHO?