Ranking the SEC quarterbacks

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Three programs- LSU, Alabama and Vanderbilt- have yet to name starters for their season openers and less than half of the league has a returning starter at the spot.

So with that, it could be an interesting transitional year around the league in terms of different starting quarterbacks at different points in the season.

Here’s how they would rank as things stand today.

1. Nick Marshall, Auburn- The most decorated returning starter in the league- who led his team to the SEC Championship and a BCS National Title Game last season- has to rank No. 1. With improved passing numbers this season, Marshall could get in the hunt for the Heisman Trophy.

2. Dak Prescott, Mississippi State- Prescott has gone from a “darkhorse” Heisman Trophy contender to a player most national analysts talk about when discussing potential winners. The Bulldogs have an excellent supporting cast around him and much like Marshall, he’s a terrific scheme fit.

3. Jeff Driskel, Florida- Driskel missed most of last season with an injury, but his upside and potential- combined with a new scheme under coordinator Kurt Roper- should lead to a big year for the Gators signal caller. He’s one of- if not the- best weapons Florida has on offense.

4. Maty Mauk, Missouri- Mauk went 3-1 as a starter a season ago for the Tigers, who won the SEC East. He’s got a good arm, is mobile and is a tough competitor. Mauk doesn’t have the weapons at receiver he had last season, however, so it will be interesting to see what he and the Mizzou offense can accomplish in 2014.

5. Hutson Mason, Georgia- Mason started for the Bulldogs at the end of last season after Aaron Murray went down with an injury and head coach Mark Richt said the experience was “invaluable”. The Georgia coaches have been high on his ability from the get-go and he has a tremendous supporting cast. Mason can be a game-manager, make smart decisions and the Bulldogs can pile up yards and points with him under center.

6. Dylan Thompson, South Carolina- Much like Mauk, Thompson has had successful game experience for the Gamecocks. In 2012, he led South Carolina to a win at Clemson and threw the game-winning touchdown in the Outback Bowl. Last season, he came off the bench at UCF and the Gamecocks handed the Knights their only loss of the season in Orlando. He’s a fifth-year senior who will get his shot.The key with Thompson is consistency.

7. Bo Wallace, Ole Miss- Wallace is one of the returning full-time starters in the league and his third year as the Rebels’ signal caller should be his best year. Like Thompson, consistency is key. Avoiding critical mistakes is another key. Both of those things tend to improve with experience and Wallace has a load of it, as well as one of the top receivers in the SEC- Laquon Treadwell- to throw it to.

8. Kenny Hill, Texas A&M- Hill played some in a back-up role last season and has enough mobility to keep defenses honest. The sophomore from Lone Star State powerhouse Southlake Carroll has a talented, but inexperienced, supporting cast, and as the season moves forward, has a chance to put up big numbers.

9. Blake Sims/Jacob Coker, Alabama- Sims has the experience of being in the Crimson Tide program, Coker is a 6-foot-5, talented pocket passer with a good arm. There’s been no decision on the starter as of yet. If one of these two guys emerges, obviously they would rank higher.

10. Brandon Harris/Anthony Jennings, LSU- As is the case in Tuscaloosa, the same is true in Baton Rouge. Harris could be a 247Sports True Freshman All-American and Jennings is a steady passer. If both end up playing in a two-quarterback system, the duo could move up. We’ve seen the Tigers successfully use two quarterbacks often over the years.

11. Patrick Towles, Kentucky- Towles has a lot of talent- a strong arm and good size- and in Wildcats’ offensive coordinator Neal Brown’s pass-happy system, there’s a chance he can put up big numbers this season in Lexington. If Towles settles in and makes good decisions, he has an NFL future.

12. Brandon Allen, Arkansas- Allen is a returning starter, but had a rough go of it last season. All reports from Fayetteville this preseason are that he is vastly improved- the question is going to be at receiver- if true freshman Jared Cornelius and others can step up- then Allen could go higher.

13. Justin Worley, Tennessee- Worley has a good arm and won the Vols starting job thanks to his command of the offensive system, due to his starting experience. Tennessee has a lot to replace on the offensive line, though, and Worley is a quarterback you HAVE to protect because he isn’t mobile. Obviously, if Tennessee can protect him there is enough talent at receiver for him to be higher.

14. Patton Robinette/Stephen Rivers/Johnny McCrary, Vanderbilt- The Commodores are implementing a new system and one week before kickoff, no starter has emerged. All of these guys have varying strengths and weaknesses. It could be a revolving door in Nashville at this position this season.

http://247sports.com/Article/SEC-Footba ... --30467024
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

That's laughable...but so is much of what comes from that site.
badmotorfinger
All American
All American

Rebchuck18 wrote:That's laughable...but so is much of what comes from that site.
Yeah this lost me after #s 1 and 2.
Rule #1.......Don't panik
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

The SEC coaches, who actually have to prepare to play against these QB's, just voted Bo as the second best QB in the league. And I believe he will pass Marshall and be the first team All SEC QB on the vote at the end of the season!
spudhog
3rd String
3rd String

Bo's a top 3 SEC QB. Not sure how Marshall is considered the best when he threw it less than 20 times a game and missed like 2 games to injury. Brandon Allen should've been 15th on this list. ha.
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

based on past performance, Bo has to be either one or two, depending on how you value passing versus running. Based on expected performance, or potential performance, you could place him anywhere on the list that you want since it becomes conjecture and opinion. If you are going to do an article and ranking like this, you should make it clear where you are coming from. He is the most experienced quarterback in the league. He has had more starts than the others and he has more wins than the others. He has more passing yards than the others. A lot point at the number of interceptions. If you look at the ratio of interceptions to passes thrown, you will see that he throws a lot more passes without interception than most of the others although there are a couple that have a better ratio. If you throw more passes, you will have more interceptions. He is, based on past performance, the best passing quarterback in the league.
BobReb
All SEC
All SEC

Yep. And not at all a bad runner either.
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

BobReb wrote:Yep. And not at all a bad runner either.
And one tough SOB!
beastbutler65
Scout Team
Scout Team

If, and I repeat IF, Ole Miss were to surprise lots of people and win the SEC, would these same people still not vote for Bo as #1?
rebelbear
Head Coach
Head Coach

Is it just that I am completely 100% biased, or am I the only who has never been impressed by Dak Prescott. Don't get me wrong, he is a great athlete. But he is very mediocre at the position he plays.
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

rebelbear wrote:Is it just that I am completely 100% biased, or am I the only who has never been impressed by Dak Prescott. Don't get me wrong, he is a great athlete. But he is very mediocre at the position he plays.
okay I am going to say it outright...Dak Prescott would be a great Scout Team QB at Ole Miss...but I really don't think that he will be an SEC "factor" for State. I would almost be willing to bet that Anthony Alford would beat him out for Scout Team QB at Ole Miss...mark it down right now... State's O line won't keep Dak healthy all year... this is my prediction...Am I wrong?
Later,
Hagar
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I have never seen so many accolades for a QB based on one game against a CUSA team. I mean heck the game was in the Liberty Bowl, there hasn't been a real football game played in that place for years!
rebelbear
Head Coach
Head Coach

Hagar wrote:... State's O line won't keep Dak healthy all year... this is my prediction...Am I wrong?
They just lost an O-lineman for the year with an ACL injury. Like us, they need all the depth they can get up front. So no, you're not wrong.
beastbutler65
Scout Team
Scout Team

DP is a big, strong runner. His passing abilities have yet to be demonstrated over a lengthy period of time. As seen with Bo, big strong runners can get hurt and their passing abilities will suffer. I also feel that MSU's O line will have difficulty protecting the young man. I do not foresee much of an SEC season for DP.

I hope that DP proves me wrong in all games EXCEPT one.
55chevy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I think Prescott has the potential to be a good player but at this point it is all just conjecture. At this time I think anybody who is really talking about him winning the Heisman trophy is borderline insane. I think MS will be better this year but unless something crazy happens he simply won't be a factor in the voting. First he would have to stay healthy which he hasn't been able to do. Second, he would have to produce in ways no QB has at State in my life time(48 years) and third, State would have to win 10-11 games. Call me pessimistic but I don't see it happening.