Moderator: Rebel Security

rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
StrongRebel
2nd String
2nd String

Let's face it. Today we do not have athletic directors anymore. We have executives who are managing $60-100 million businesses, and it is about time Ole Miss has come around to understanding that. The good ole days when you put your buddy that you played with in the position have passed. You have to have someone who is skilled at raising money, ability to analyze the impact of exposure to the brand, market the heck out of it, and unite all the principals around the common theme of winning and great exposure.

Hats off to Bjork showing all the aspects that are not seen by the fans besides the big items.
beastbutler65
Scout Team
Scout Team

The "throw out everything even remotely connected to the Civil War past of the University of Mississippi" people are really touting the increased enrollment and increased giving to Ole Miss as results of the actions taken in removing symbols and traditions with negative connotations.

Faulty logic for we have no comparison with anything except what we now have. Further examination of the present situation of enrollment and donations can be explained but the "holier than thou guilt ridden apologists" continue to cling to the removal of the supposed evil and negative connotations as their explanation.

Let me say this in regard to increased enrollment. The State College Board has given institutions of higher learning the OPTION of enforcing out of state enrollment fees or NOT. Therefore, the schools MAY drop this extremely high fee if they want to. Statements from Ole Miss say that each situation is examined on an individual case by case procedure. Thus, they say that there is no blanket dropping of the fees. I say that MORE out of state students have the fees dropped else how can one explain the tremendous increase in out of state enrollment? In addition, the entrance requirements for admission to Ole Miss are ALL LOWER than most other in-state universities of the NATION.

On the increased giving situation. Fund raising at Ole Miss has reached the advanced "Vaught Society" level. More and more categories for giving have been invented. You can give for everything from a brick in a sidewalk to a parking space to NEW field level "sky boxes" in the south end zone. All of these areas are most often related to athletics with those related to academics being the realm of the BIG, BIG donors like the Barksdales who have requirements tied to their money.

Ole Miss, true like most other large universities, has a very large and extensive fund raising mechanism staffed with many, many paid staffers as well as volunteers who man the telephones. How many calls have y'all received from Ole Miss students and staff asking for money today, tomorrow, and at your death? No matter the amount for $50 is gladly taken as well as the life insurance policy with Ole Miss as the beneficiary. Life Membership in the OMAA has been expanded to include SIX new categories from Sustaining Life Member to whatever.

Do not misunderstand what I am saying for I have supported Ole Miss over the years by first going there and paying for two degrees, after graduation becoming a Life Member of the OMAA, and buying season tickets to football games. I did not donate to the Athletic Foundation until this year to try to get better seats than the North End Zone due to my wife's bad knees. With my "S for Starter Level" donation of $100, the minimum, I have the "privilege" of walking from the 4,000 foot area AWAY parking space on Hawthorne Ave. to the stadium. This is of course on top of the $400 EACH I HAD to pay for the "privilege" of getting a hard seat on the west side of the stadium.

Face it, without the success of the athletic teams since the SEC Tourney win in men's basketball, the football team's wins over the past two years, and the baseball team's trip to Omaha, giving would be in the tank. Are the supporters of the Chancellor's actions saying that all this success is directly related to the removal of "negative" symbols and traditions? Again, we have nothing with which to compare.

I know this much, pretty soon with the stadium expansion on the north end zone, the "giving' will only increase as the amount one HAS to pay to get a seat AND a parking space for ANY athletic event will only go up and up and up.

Have any of y'all ever heard of the "Little Yellow House" on Lamar near University Ave.? It rents out on football weekends for $3500 EACH. Seven home games means $24,500 for a season ticket holder. Sure, Oxford loves Ole Miss.
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

beastbutler65 wrote:The "throw out everything even remotely connected to the Civil War past of the University of Mississippi" people are really touting the increased enrollment and increased giving to Ole Miss as results of the actions taken in removing symbols and traditions with negative connotations.

Faulty logic for we have no comparison with anything except what we now have. Further examination of the present situation of enrollment and donations can be explained but the "holier than thou guilt ridden apologists" continue to cling to the removal of the supposed evil and negative connotations as their explanation.

Let me say this in regard to increased enrollment. The State College Board has given institutions of higher learning the OPTION of enforcing out of state enrollment fees or NOT. Therefore, the schools MAY drop this extremely high fee if they want to. Statements from Ole Miss say that each situation is examined on an individual case by case procedure. Thus, they say that there is no blanket dropping of the fees. I say that MORE out of state students have the fees dropped else how can one explain the tremendous increase in out of state enrollment? In addition, the entrance requirements for admission to Ole Miss are ALL LOWER than most other in-state universities of the NATION.

On the increased giving situation. Fund raising at Ole Miss has reached the advanced "Vaught Society" level. More and more categories for giving have been invented. You can give for everything from a brick in a sidewalk to a parking space to NEW field level "sky boxes" in the south end zone. All of these areas are most often related to athletics with those related to academics being the realm of the BIG, BIG donors like the Barksdales who have requirements tied to their money.

Ole Miss, true like most other large universities, has a very large and extensive fund raising mechanism staffed with many, many paid staffers as well as volunteers who man the telephones. How many calls have y'all received from Ole Miss students and staff asking for money today, tomorrow, and at your death? No matter the amount for $50 is gladly taken as well as the life insurance policy with Ole Miss as the beneficiary. Life Membership in the OMAA has been expanded to include SIX new categories from Sustaining Life Member to whatever.

Do not misunderstand what I am saying for I have supported Ole Miss over the years by first going there and paying for two degrees, after graduation becoming a Life Member of the OMAA, and buying season tickets to football games. I did not donate to the Athletic Foundation until this year to try to get better seats than the North End Zone due to my wife's bad knees. With my "S for Starter Level" donation of $100, the minimum, I have the "privilege" of walking from the 4,000 foot area AWAY parking space on Hawthorne Ave. to the stadium. This is of course on top of the $400 EACH I HAD to pay for the "privilege" of getting a hard seat on the west side of the stadium.

Face it, without the success of the athletic teams since the SEC Tourney win in men's basketball, the football team's wins over the past two years, and the baseball team's trip to Omaha, giving would be in the tank. Are the supporters of the Chancellor's actions saying that all this success is directly related to the removal of "negative" symbols and traditions? Again, we have nothing with which to compare.

I know this much, pretty soon with the stadium expansion on the north end zone, the "giving' will only increase as the amount one HAS to pay to get a seat AND a parking space for ANY athletic event will only go up and up and up.

Have any of y'all ever heard of the "Little Yellow House" on Lamar near University Ave.? It rents out on football weekends for $3500 EACH. Seven home games means $24,500 for a season ticket holder. Sure, Oxford loves Ole Miss.

I have been saying this for years and i believe if you look back in teh archives of my previous posts you will find this quote.

"Ole Miss isn't a college in North Mississippi...it is a Football team."
Later,
Hagar
Sasquatch
Water Boy
Water Boy

beastbutler65 wrote:

...with those related to academics being the realm of the BIG, BIG donors like the Barksdales who have requirements tied to their money.

With my "S for Starter Level" donation of $100, the minimum, I have the "privilege" of walking from the 4,000 foot area AWAY parking space on Hawthorne Ave. to the stadium. This is of course on top of the $400 EACH I HAD to pay for the "privilege" of getting a hard seat on the west side of the stadium.
Is there any credible proof that the Barksdales are somehow pulling the strings of the administration at Ole Miss with their money? If not, this is nothing but baseless speculation. The minimum giving level for UMAF is not "Starter" and the minimum donation is not $100. The lowest giving level is "R" (for "Rebel") and the minimum donation for that level is $50.