Boise game thread

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

beastbutler65 wrote:We came out looking like a junior high team! We finished like an SEC contender! :o
We literally showed nothing tonight. We need to improve in every category before next week.
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

well I almost picked the score... I said 35-10 OM... I want Matt Luke run out of town... our O line minus Tunsil is abysmal.
Later,
Hagar
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

I am telling you guy right now... Will Gleeson is going tobe #1 by the end of the year. he might be the best I have ever seen at ole Miss including
Ray Guy and Julian *beep* and even Boom it miller Boom it... there I said it.
Later,
Hagar
beastbutler65
Scout Team
Scout Team

First game y'all, first game. We looked like old doodoo the first three quarters and then as if by magic, we looked like the new version of the Hugh Freeze offensive machine.

Our defense played great and gave the offense the opportunity to finally get down to business. It has been said that the measure of a team is how much they progress from game one to game two. If we play in the 1st quarter next week like we played in the 4th quarter this week, then the offense will be OK. If we don't, then we are in serious trouble!

Hotty Toddy!!!!!!!!!!
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Hagar wrote:well I almost picked the score... I said 35-10 OM... I want Matt Luke run out of town... our O line minus Tunsil is abysmal.
Matt Luke is my favorite coach. While I agree that our line played poorly and was the main reason for our struggles tonight, to run him out of town based on one game is a bit extreme. If we have many more performances like last night, then perhaps you're right, but it would be a bit premature right now. It certainly showed that Morris hasn't played football in a long time. If Still was chosen to play because he is the best snapper, I'd hate to see Conyers snap. Almost every snap was low and that hurt us big time on several plays.
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Starting first and fifteen constantly keeps you behind the eight ball. Clean that up and the offense won't have to always have a big play to get a first down. I was pleased to see one of our running backs could carry a pile for first down. I love our punter! Our d even gets better as our o gets better.
Sasquatch
Water Boy
Water Boy

bbqit wrote:Starting first and fifteen constantly keeps you behind the eight ball. Clean that up and the offense won't have to always have a big play to get a first down. I was pleased to see one of our running backs could carry a pile for first down. I love our punter! Our d even gets better as our o gets better.
Those penalties were the biggest factor in our offensive woes in the first half. That can be fixed. Wallace proved in the 2nd half just how much he has improved over the past two seasons, and this coaching staff once again showed that they can make adjustments and come out strong in the 2nd half.
Sasquatch
Water Boy
Water Boy

Rebel4life22 wrote:Hugh the "offensive guru" Freeze looking just like last year with his lover Bo "Turnover" Wallace.

It's a d*** shame that our defense looks like monsters and our offense looks like a pee wee football team.

The penalties? That's coaching right there. But hey…let's give ol Hugh another $1million bump!
No, blame the penalties on execution. Calling our starting QB Bo "Turnover" Wallace? Without him the past two seasons, we were definitely not a bowl team in 2012 and maybe not one last year as well. Funny that you disappeared when there was nothing to whine and cry about.
StrongRebel
2nd String
2nd String

JustBlues wrote:
Hagar wrote:well I almost picked the score... I said 35-10 OM... I want Matt Luke run out of town... our O line minus Tunsil is abysmal.
Matt Luke is my favorite coach. While I agree that our line played poorly and was the main reason for our struggles tonight, to run him out of town based on one game is a bit extreme. If we have many more performances like last night, then perhaps you're right, but it would be a bit premature right now. It certainly showed that Morris hasn't played football in a long time. If Still was chosen to play because he is the best snapper, I'd hate to see Conyers snap. Almost every snap was low and that hurt us big time on several plays.
Boise played 8 in the box with the corners playing press coverage the whole game. So running the ball was going to be a challenge even if we had the talent and size advantage.

The concern I took from the game was it took Hugh and Bo until the 4th quarter to make adjustments to expose the 8 men in the box with press coverage. You noticed once they were able to our receivers had all day to run which was nice. I will choke it up to 1st game, but if Hugh doesn't start taking 3 points when he can I will come down there after a game and give him a swift kick in the pants.

But yes the false start penalties are inexcusable and I was not a huge fan of the Luke hire.

I thought he was only hired because he was an Ole Miss guy (if you looked at his previous stops the run game was not that good), and he is way too nice of guy to be an Oline coach. However he has put together functional lines the last two season with way less talent than we have now so I expect it to get worked out by October. The Oline has the talent just not the experience so I expect it to get better as the season goes.
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Great 4th Quarter! Honestly, I was concerned the way we started the 2nd half, but we finished strong. We won't get to fart around 3 quarters next week. I bet Hugh lights the fire on some O-linemen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GtownRebel
All American
All American

StrongRebel wrote:
JustBlues wrote:
Boise played 8 in the box with the corners playing press coverage the whole game. So running the ball was going to be a challenge even if we had the talent and size advantage.

The concern I took from the game was it took Hugh and Bo until the 4th quarter to make adjustments to expose the 8 men in the box with press coverage. You noticed once they were able to our receivers had all day to run which was nice. I will choke it up to 1st game, but if Hugh doesn't start taking 3 points when he can I will come down there after a game and give him a swift kick in the pants.

But yes the false start penalties are inexcusable and I was not a huge fan of the Luke hire.

I thought he was only hired because he was an Ole Miss guy (if you looked at his previous stops the run game was not that good), and he is way too nice of guy to be an Oline coach. However he has put together functional lines the last two season with way less talent than we have now so I expect it to get worked out by October. The Oline has the talent just not the experience so I expect it to get better as the season goes.
I agree with you to a point. I think the fourth quarter scoring feast was a result of wearing down Boise State. They were holding their knees prior to lining up on D in the 4th quarter. Our guys were in condition to even play a OT if needed. The D won the game with our punter, who will be AA if he keeps this up. By the way he kicked the ball to our cover guy when it was downed on the one yardline. Never have seen that work, but this guy, in his first college football game has been playing rugby forever, did it. His brother plays for Ruters and is a junior I believe. Glesson is one of my favorite players as is Cody Core, a star in the making. I am on Cody's band wagon. He has the talent to be an AA before he leaves if he works hard to be the best. And I like Wilkins in the backfield as he can carry the pile and move the ball north and south. A RS freshman like him needs to start or be subed for by Dodson, who is fast, fast, fast.

Now on to Vandy to kick their tails. The time is now!
beastbutler65
Scout Team
Scout Team

Folks, let us not be so quick to fire coaches when we have come so far so fast. The next time y'all want to be so quick to fire somebody just think back to 2-10 and be thankful for what we have now.

First game mistakes. Listening to the defense call signals rather than your own darn QB will cause false start penalties for sure.

I suggest that y'all watch the Vandy game very closely, especially the first series of downs for the offense. We should see a very different result.
Sasquatch
Water Boy
Water Boy

beastbutler65 wrote:Folks, let us not be so quick to fire coaches when we have come so far so fast. The next time y'all want to be so quick to fire somebody just think back to 2-10 and be thankful for what we have now.

First game mistakes. Listening to the defense call signals rather than your own darn QB will cause false start penalties for sure.

I suggest that y'all watch the Vandy game very closely, especially the first series of downs for the offense. We should see a very different result.

After the Texas game two years ago, we had fans calling for Coach Wommack's job. Look at our defense now. Calling for a coach's job because of poor performance in ONE game makes no sense.
mascott
3rd String
3rd String

did someone call for a coach to be fired?
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

mascott wrote:did someone call for a coach to be fired?
Someone was talking about running Matt Luke out of town b/c of the O-Line issues. We had problems and Boise was causing a lot of it with whatever they were doing(yelling out, whatever). We made adjustments in the second half, but we can't wait that long to adjust against Bama, LSU, etc.

But, nobody needs to be fired.
Some Random Dude