Rebs #4 in the coaches poll

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

the AP rankings come out in few minutes.
jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

Wow we are tied with state for 3rd in the AP poll but they received two first place votes and we received none so they have the edge.
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Tied with state at #3 in ap
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

jrebel87 wrote:Wow we are tied with state for 3rd in the AP poll but they received two first place votes and we received none so they have the edge.
Neither team has the edge until we play each other or one of us loses
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Thats insane...
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I really don't get it... We did beat #1 in the coaches poll, and #3 in the AP, right? #2 lost.... Don't get the math here, but whatever!
beastbutler65
Scout Team
Scout Team

We will not get any respect from the national polls or even the sports talking heads. On ESPN last night, they talked about which win was MORE impressive---Ole Miss over Alabama or MSU over A&M. ALL the talking heads said MSU!!!!!!!!!!!!

We will settle it once and for all in November!
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

#1,2,3 or 4....doesn't matter as long as we stay there. The poll will shake out as the weeks roll on.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

So State is really good. But here is what I don't get:

A&M was unranked until they went in and beat top ten South Carolina. That top ten ranking was horribly misgiven. South Carolina now has 3 losses and lost to Kentucky yesterday. Then Arkansas game A&M all they could handle. Arkansas is improved, but I think A&M isn't as good as everyone thought. Still good, but not 'vault MS State to #3 in the country' good.

LSU is having all sorts of trouble. It seems their top ten ranking was also a mistake. McCready over on rivals said he had some LSU insiders tell him before the season that 5 losses were a possibility for them this year.

So with all of that, State has gone from unranked to getting TWO first place votes? I guess we'll find out this coming weekend.
Some Random Dude
badmotorfinger
All American
All American

One thing is certain; state hasn't faced a good defense yet and they have a tendency to give up points late. For me it's hard to tell how good they are. Polls mean nothing to me right now. As deep as the SEC west is of talent, it wouldn't shock me a bit if the west champ had two or more losses.
Rule #1.......Don't panik
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

WildRebel wrote:#1,2,3 or 4....doesn't matter as long as we stay there. The poll will shake out as the weeks roll on.
Agree.....
Randy
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

just win the next game. If you keep doing that, then the world is ours bwahhahhahhah
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

Auburn will be State's first real test. We've already had ours in 'Bama. But for the record, don't be surprised if Boise State and Memphis State win their conferences. Our OOC schedule was tougher than we've been given credit for. Meanwhile, as other posters have pointed out, it's up to us to keep winning against A & M, Tennessee and LSU. Do that, and the game between Ole Miss and Auburn will be humongous.
CMB
2nd String
2nd String

what I don't get is the argument that "State has beat 2 top 10 teams..in a row, Ole Miss has only beat 1 top 10 team"

so let's see.. one of those was LSU who is not even ranked anymore, the other to TAMU who is not ranked in the top 10 anymore so basically, they have not beaten ANY true top 10 teams to this point

Ole Miss beat Alabama..who did fall, but fell to 7 (still top 10 at this point in the season)

I am not saying what State has done is not impressive, but let's be real here.

State will get a true test this weekend with Auburn...should be a good one. State wins that one and I will eat crow but I just do not see it happening. I dont think they have the defense to slow them down enough.

State is where they are because of offense
Ole Miss is where they are because of defense

...and as the saying goes --- what wins championships?
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

and for the record, by "Real test" you mean "Real ass whipping"!