Analysis of last play by Ole Miss

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

umrebel96
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

Bo made a bad decision. After 3 years, we know this is going to happen with him sometimes.

Freeze, a professional making millions per year, couldn't figure out whether to kick or run another play, resulting in a costly delay penalty. Once the decision was made to kick, he either didn't notice the kick team wasn't going to have enough time or it never occurred to him to leave the offense out there for a spike that would have reset the play clock.

I know who I'm more upset with.

As far as Freeze throwing Bo under the bus, I'm sure he was just honestly answering a question. IMO, though, he should have at the same time admitted the role his own indecision played in the finish.
1OLEMISSREBEL
All American
All American

from yesterday's press conference

On the final offensive play against LSU...
"I've got to communicate better to him (Bo). We didn't get done what we hoped to get done on that play, obviously. That's something in critical moments you have to get done. I've got to coach and communicate with him better and make sure there's no doubt in his mind what we're trying to get accomplished."

seems like CHF is including himself
Even a bad day as a Rebel is better than a good day with the dawgs!!!!
CoastRebel48
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

Freeze said post game that the delay was his fault because he missed the ball being blown into play. He thought that the play clock was going to be reset I believe because the officials were standing over the ball and LSU still had 12 men on the field. Either way he should have known.

Once the timeout was called by LSU it made since to move the ball to the other hash if possible. His kicker prefers the ball on the left hash. So he called a play to do so. You could see Freeze discussing what was supposed to be done with the people involved in the routes and Bo. I coached for 18 years and I can tell you Bo was given one read flats or run out of bounds if possible. Cody ran a clear out route and wasn't even looking for the ball when Bo decide to play the hero. Freeze is walking back his post game statement and protecting Bo. It's what coaches do. There were plenty of mistakes, but only one person ignored instructions and decided to do what he wanted to. Bo let his pride and ego get the best of him all night and that last play was just the most blatant display.

And just one more thing, everyone is harping on playcalling and I agree it wasn't great, but I can think of at least 4 occassions in critical situations where we had receivers wide open and our QB just flat out missed them. He was either way high or in the dirt. Connect on those plays and Freeze looks like a brilliant play caller. Every play is designed to get 6 it's the execution that matters. Bo was erratic a best so what do you call?
Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.
Euripides
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

CoastRebel48 wrote:Freeze said post game that the delay was his fault because he missed the ball being blown into play. He thought that the play clock was going to be reset I believe because the officials were standing over the ball and LSU still had 12 men on the field. Either way he should have known.

Once the timeout was called by LSU it made since to move the ball to the other hash if possible. His kicker prefers the ball on the left hash. So he called a play to do so. You could see Freeze discussing what was supposed to be done with the people involved in the routes and Bo. I coached for 18 years and I can tell you Bo was given one read flats or run out of bounds if possible. Cody ran a clear out route and wasn't even looking for the ball when Bo decide to play the hero. Freeze is walking back his post game statement and protecting Bo. It's what coaches do. There were plenty of mistakes, but only one person ignored instructions and decided to do what he wanted to. Bo let his pride and ego get the best of him all night and that last play was just the most blatant display.

And just one more thing, everyone is harping on playcalling and I agree it wasn't great, but I can think of at least 4 occassions in critical situations where we had receivers wide open and our QB just flat out missed them. He was either way high or in the dirt. Connect on those plays and Freeze looks like a brilliant play caller. Every play is designed to get 6 it's the execution that matters. Bo was erratic a best so what do you call?
this fits my way of thinking too.
Later,
Hagar
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

CoastRebel48 wrote:Freeze said post game that the delay was his fault because he missed the ball being blown into play. He thought that the play clock was going to be reset I believe because the officials were standing over the ball and LSU still had 12 men on the field. Either way he should have known.

I agree and like I said, Freeze doesn't trust Bo. But he really has no choice. But if Bo did pull another act of not doing what he was told, one of our red shirt freshmen needs to come in the game. Bo would ride the pine.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

1OLEMISSREBEL wrote:from yesterday's press conference

On the final offensive play against LSU...
"I've got to communicate better to him (Bo). We didn't get done what we hoped to get done on that play, obviously. That's something in critical moments you have to get done. I've got to coach and communicate with him better and make sure there's no doubt in his mind what we're trying to get accomplished."

seems like CHF is including himself
Yeah, but that's like Coach "O" saying after every loss: "I just gotta coach better, and we gotta play harder!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk