Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

Later,
Hagar
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

to me the most obvious solution is to stop asking a 166 pound running back to carry the bulk of the running back load when you have others who can contribute and have a bit more meat on their bones.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

This is exactly what I meant by 'playing behind the chains'. I never said Bo doesn't makes mistakes. But, he's not getting much help. You can't keep asking him to save us. He's not Eli Manning(and even he would be having trouble). He gets all the blame when it's simply not ALL his fault.

If I were calling plays, and I'm not for obvious reasons, I'd pass, pass, and pass some more. Get those safeties and lb's playing back looking pass and then run. You can still be balanced, but use the pass to set up the run instead of the other way around.
Some Random Dude
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

lewindha wrote:This is exactly what I meant by 'playing behind the chains'. I never said Bo doesn't makes mistakes. But, he's not getting much help. You can't keep asking him to save us. He's not Eli Manning(and even he would be having trouble). He gets all the blame when it's simply not ALL his fault.

If I were calling plays, and I'm not for obvious reasons, I'd pass, pass, and pass some more. Get those safeties and lb's playing back looking pass and then run. You can still be balanced, but use the pass to set up the run instead of the other way around.
I call plays all the time, they just don't run the ones I call. Maybe my TV is broken and they can't hear me... Seriously, I am in the same position as you as far as my qualifications to be on the sideline for this or any other major college team, but we have our opinions and that's part of the fun. I would say that the pass, pass, pass thing would depend on the opposition. I understand why efforts were made to establish more running game the last two weeks. Against Auburn, the pass would become more prominent because that is the weakness of the Auburn defense. So for this week, I agree with you on the play calling. I reserve the right to change next week. One thing that this staff has done extremely well this year is altering the game plan to match the opponent. And other than this past game, they have done very well at making necessary adjustments at half time. I'd better qualify that a little. The defense game plan in the second half was outstanding (all my opinion so call me what you will). They just wore down. The offensive adjustments didn't work out so hot.

One thing that I am very grateful for when I read a discussion forum like this is that I don't have all these people watching my work every day ready to pounce when I have an off day. I don't think that 3, 4 , 5 or 6 million dollars a year would make that prospect much more palatable for me.
beastbutler65
Scout Team
Scout Team

If you guys watch the pros in the NFL, the offensive play caller has a sheet that he refers to in calling plays. If you have a certain down and distance, then you call one of the plays that are listed under that situation. There is also a side chart which gives your tendencies in that situation----what you have called and how many times you have called it in that situation. While a certain situation may call for a certain play, you have to be careful and not call that certain play each and every time.

Does Ole Miss have such a chart? Then why would you call the EXACT same play on first down so many times?

OBTW, the defensive coach also has a chart with the same info on what the offense has been running. LSU did not need a chart for first down defense did they?

I must give Freeze and his staff a lot of credit to get us where we are now. However, if I can figure out that Ole Miss is going to run a 166 lb. back straight up the middle on first down a preponderance of the time, then so can the opposition.

I can watch replays and the opposition can watch their film.
TLM 1961
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

Thought, if CHF is so content on running on first down why not put Liggins in on first down and get positive yards. If he is good enough to put in on short yard downs then he is good enough to run on other downs as well.
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

TLM 1961 wrote:Thought, if CHF is so content on running on first down why not put Liggins in on first down and get positive yards. If he is good enough to put in on short yard downs then he is good enough to run on other downs as well.

There were two 3rd and 2 situations, I thought Liggins should have been in... Especially if you were treating it as 4 down territory, which we did and didnt get..
academy reb
Scout Team
Scout Team

I heard the Carolina QB coach on the radio yesterday. He said Carolina had success because Auburn ran a lot of man defense. If that happens with us, we should have a lot of quick passes on first down to the wide outs.

We didn't run many of those against LSU. That play has helped stay "in front of the chains", where we need to be.
I only like helmeted sports, hockey, baseball, football, war.