What a year

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

rebelbear
Head Coach
Head Coach

Goroth wrote:
JustBlues wrote:Today was the best oline performance by an ole miss team in many years. We averaged 6.6 yards a carry and only gave up one sack against one of the best rushing defenses and best teams at getting to the Qb in the nation.
You take away the one miracle 91 yard run and the rushing wasn't that great. But it was great on that last first down. Way to fight for the yards.
Minus the 91 yard run we still averaged 3.8 yards a rush. That's still higher than what MSU averaged against us on the night.
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebelbear wrote:
Goroth wrote:
JustBlues wrote:Today was the best oline performance by an ole miss team in many years. We averaged 6.6 yards a carry and only gave up one sack against one of the best rushing defenses and best teams at getting to the Qb in the nation.
You take away the one miracle 91 yard run and the rushing wasn't that great. But it was great on that last first down. Way to fight for the yards.
Minus the 91 yard run we still averaged 3.8 yards a rush. That's still higher than what MSU averaged against us on the night.
it is also higher than the stellar Miss State defense allows on average.
OMNOB 1A
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I don't post much these days, but I do feel inclined to offer my thoughts on the year thus far.

First of all, I am not at all disappointed in this team , but I can't help but be disappointed in the seasons outcome. I still feel, right now, here today, that we are easily one of the best five teams in country. I believe the "infancy" of coaching for Freeze is about 75% of the reason for the temporary lapses (complete lapse vs Arkansas), and about 25% Megaquon injury (I am advanced in age and have dealt with some strife, so I should be well equipped to deal with hardship and I am not on the team, I don't know Quon personally, and don't have a relative stake in the matter, and I am still super bummed about that), which is something that I believe is passable for a group of kids. However, it still smarts to not be in conversation for the National Title. Yeah, I'm let down.

Sound like a complete downer, right?

Nah, I actually embrace the pain. This is a good feeling, as John Mellencamp so eloquently stated, it hurts so good. We are on the National radar. Big traditional power houses don't wanna play this program. We are not going to be any willing opponents invitee for Homecoming. No one is going to want to play us on Senior day. There is not a team anywhere that sees us on their schedule and circles the "W" column prior to the game being played.

Sure, Freeze has had me hopping mad this season. Sure, I have said words that my Mom would not be proud of during this season (at times spoken with a bellowing tone)( I fear I will need to replace my roof as I did lots of very loud opinion sharing during the a fore mentioned Arky game and possibly might have blown entire panels free). I am still miffed that we aren't gonna be on the committees watch list for 2014.

However, as a middle aged man, things have happened this season that prior I would have thought unthinkable. We were a bonafide legitimate top five team for a considerable amount of the season. We beat two top five teams (both held the number one position as has been pointed out). We beat the breaks off of three non-power five conference champions. Beat ten bowl teams total and started the season on a National stage against the winning-est program of the prior decade in a major city.

I have Hugh Freeze to thank for that. It is very easy to get emotionally get caught up in the college game and it is a situation that epitomizes the term "fluid", but, as stated before, right now, here today, I think that Freeze & Co. have us in a spot where we may not just look back on the 2014 season in the same vein as we do 2003, 2008 & 2009 (among others). Those seasons were little drops of happiness peppered into a (life)time of dejectedness at it's worst and mediocre feelings of "hey, we made a bowl, right?" in the rest.

I think we are headed in a direction that not many of us would utter in hushed tones in the mancaves of our very dearest Rebel friends before this season. Freeze is only going to get better. The experience of Treadwell's injury is something that cannot be taught. God knows I never wanna see that again, but if it does, I know my coach has dealt with such a thing and is better equipped to do so again, if need be. The bone-headed decisions will become something of an anomaly. The guy is smart, of this I have no doubt. The guy is just going to continue to get better.

In closing, it is my opinion, to beat the dead horse, that right now, here today, we might look back on this season and say to each other, the Rebelfaithful, "You remember that 2014 season?"

Response would be "yeah, totally".

To which would be said, "Of course you do, that's the year this whole thing got started"

*laughter and clinking of glasses ensues*

Finally, as you settle back into your chair, taking in the crisp Grove air, still smiling, shaking your head a lil, "Yup. Hotty, Toddy, Hotty Toddy indeed".
rickochet2
Scout Team
Scout Team

OMNOB 1A wrote:I don't post much these days, but I do feel inclined to offer my thoughts on the year thus far.

First of all, I am not at all disappointed in this team , but I can't help but be disappointed in the seasons outcome. I still feel, right now, here today, that we are easily one of the best five teams in country. I believe the "infancy" of coaching for Freeze is about 75% of the reason for the temporary lapses (complete lapse vs Arkansas), and about 25% Megaquon injury (I am advanced in age and have dealt with some strife, so I should be well equipped to deal with hardship and I am not on the team, I don't know Quon personally, and don't have a relative stake in the matter, and I am still super bummed about that), which is something that I believe is passable for a group of kids. However, it still smarts to not be in conversation for the National Title. Yeah, I'm let down.

Sound like a complete downer, right?

Nah, I actually embrace the pain. This is a good feeling, as John Mellencamp so eloquently stated, it hurts so good. We are on the National radar. Big traditional power houses don't wanna play this program. We are not going to be any willing opponents invitee for Homecoming. No one is going to want to play us on Senior day. There is not a team anywhere that sees us on their schedule and circles the "W" column prior to the game being played.

Sure, Freeze has had me hopping mad this season. Sure, I have said words that my Mom would not be proud of during this season (at times spoken with a bellowing tone)( I fear I will need to replace my roof as I did lots of very loud opinion sharing during the a fore mentioned Arky game and possibly might have blown entire panels free). I am still miffed that we aren't gonna be on the committees watch list for 2014.

However, as a middle aged man, things have happened this season that prior I would have thought unthinkable. We were a bonafide legitimate top five team for a considerable amount of the season. We beat two top five teams (both held the number one position as has been pointed out). We beat the breaks off of three non-power five conference champions. Beat ten bowl teams total and started the season on a National stage against the winning-est program of the prior decade in a major city.

I have Hugh Freeze to thank for that. It is very easy to get emotionally get caught up in the college game and it is a situation that epitomizes the term "fluid", but, as stated before, right now, here today, I think that Freeze & Co. have us in a spot where we may not just look back on the 2014 season in the same vein as we do 2003, 2008 & 2009 (among others). Those seasons were little drops of happiness peppered into a (life)time of dejectedness at it's worst and mediocre feelings of "hey, we made a bowl, right?" in the rest.

I think we are headed in a direction that not many of us would utter in hushed tones in the mancaves of our very dearest Rebel friends before this season. Freeze is only going to get better. The experience of Treadwell's injury is something that cannot be taught. God knows I never wanna see that again, but if it does, I know my coach has dealt with such a thing and is better equipped to do so again, if need be. The bone-headed decisions will become something of an anomaly. The guy is smart, of this I have no doubt. The guy is just going to continue to get better.

In closing, it is my opinion, to beat the dead horse, that right now, here today, we might look back on this season and say to each other, the Rebelfaithful, "You remember that 2014 season?"

Response would be "yeah, totally".

To which would be said, "Of course you do, that's the year this whole thing got started"

*laughter and clinking of glasses ensues*

Finally, as you settle back into your chair, taking in the crisp Grove air, still smiling, shaking your head a lil, "Yup. Hotty, Toddy, Hotty Toddy indeed".
^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^
I am on the golf course if the Rebels aren't on the field.
BobReb
All SEC
All SEC

A dream come true. And may the dream continue on!
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

The Ole Miss football team has improved every year since the dark cloud lifted after the 2011 season. Is it too much to expect it to keep going in the same direction?
BobReb
All SEC
All SEC

HAIL STATE! (SARCASM!)
BobReb
All SEC
All SEC

Hey, THEY chose the moniker...
BobReb
All SEC
All SEC

Dam Nazi's!
OMNOB 1A
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

To quote Quon, "Hail Naw"
theghostofcolonelreb
Scout Team
Scout Team

I so very hope this sentiment is correct. I believe it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The only two things in life that make it worth livin'...
Are guitars that tune good and firm feelin' women