#12 in Playoff Rankings--Very Good Sign

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

Ole Miss moved up to #12 in this week's CFP rankings. This last weekend, three or four teams ranked above us could lose, and we could sneak into the Top 10 for the final poll and pow-wow the Committee will conduct for a Sunday morning release. On Head-to-Head tonight, Ross Bjork was extremely optimistic about OM finding its way into a Committee Bowl even if we were ranked in the Top Fifteen. With our SOS and Top Ten wins, I think we will be strongly considered for the Cotton, Peach and Orange Bowls. If the favored teams win their titles games--which means 'Bama, Oregon and Florida State--Ole Miss will be in an even better position. And, yes, State will be considered for Committee Bowls, too. If they get one, look at it this way: it's more money for all SEC members.
theghostofcolonelreb
Scout Team
Scout Team

Sagain Rankings tell the true story. We should be in a Committee Bowl but I'm afraid Fl St messes up our plans. Would be sweet revenge for the Ga Tech team we beat last bowl season. Heck, where did that come from Paul Johnson? Bravo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The only two things in life that make it worth livin'...
Are guitars that tune good and firm feelin' women
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

theghostofcolonelreb wrote:Sagain Rankings tell the true story. We should be in a Committee Bowl but I'm afraid Fl St messes up our plans. Would be sweet revenge for the Ga Tech team we beat last bowl season. Heck, where did that come from Paul Johnson? Bravo.

So you think Ga Tech knocks off Florida State and gets the last committee bowl spot?
theghostofcolonelreb
Scout Team
Scout Team

I'm afraid they would, and deservedly so, if MSU also stays ahead of us today despite, admittedly better schedule, but weaker SOS and less quality wins. Ga Tech over Fl St would be an added quality win to their merit.

The only two things in life that make it worth livin'...
Are guitars that tune good and firm feelin' women
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

we need for the favored teams to win this weekend: Florida State, Alabama, Ohio State .... An upset puts someone new in above us.
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

Right. This is Favorites Weekend. But remember, there will be seven spots to fill after the playoff teams are assigned. (Boise State gets an automatic slot as the highest-ranked Group of Five rep, but I'm not sure those leagues are deserving. The NCAA did that to prevent those leagues from suing, I'm sure.) If we are 10th, 11th or 12th, we stand an excellent chance of being selected. As for Georgia Tech, they are either the best or second-best team in a very weak ACC. They barely edged the best team in the SEC East, but I don't think they'd match up well with most of the SEC West, including us. ( Oh wait, we beat them last year to give you some idea of how that would trend. And, yes, both teams are even better this year in proportion. So, take that, Danny Kanell!)
OMNOB 1A
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

proud2breb wrote:
theghostofcolonelreb wrote:Sagain Rankings tell the true story. We should be in a Committee Bowl but I'm afraid Fl St messes up our plans. Would be sweet revenge for the Ga Tech team we beat last bowl season. Heck, where did that come from Paul Johnson? Bravo.

So you think Ga Tech knocks off Florida State and gets the last committee bowl spot?
Take this for what it is worth, but I was listening to Sports Talk Radio on my way home from work today, (and I should say, before I go on, that I live in Atlanta)(full disclosure), and according to the station I was listening to, win or lose Tech is in the Orange Bowl. Of that they were very convinced. The conjecture was not about Tech, but rather who would they play?

There was a ton of stuff involved in that convo, but the prevailing opinion was that it would be Ole Miss.
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

The winner of the ACC gets an automatic bid to the Orange Bowl UNLESS they are in the playoffs. If the winner of the ACC is in the playoffs, then the next highest ranked ACC team gets an automatic bid to the Orange Bowl. If Georgia Tech wins, then they are ACC champion. If Florida State wins, then Florida State is the ACC champion BUT they will be going to the playoffs so the next highest ranked ACC team (Georgia Tech) goes to the Orange Bowl. It is in the contract. Georgia Tech will go to the Orange win or lose as the automatic ACC entry. It doesn't affect the at-large bids at all unless it is through some unforeseen ripple effect.
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

So where would it put Florida State if Georgia Tech wins? Obviously out of the playoffs! What impact on Bowl selections?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

JustBlues wrote:The winner of the ACC gets an automatic bid to the Orange Bowl UNLESS they are in the playoffs. If the winner of the ACC is in the playoffs, then the next highest ranked ACC team gets an automatic bid to the Orange Bowl. If Georgia Tech wins, then they are ACC champion. If Florida State wins, then Florida State is the ACC champion BUT they will be going to the playoffs so the next highest ranked ACC team (Georgia Tech) goes to the Orange Bowl. It is in the contract. Georgia Tech will go to the Orange win or lose as the automatic ACC entry. It doesn't affect the at-large bids at all unless it is through some unforeseen ripple effect.
It potentially hurts us if Georgia Tech wins because if they get the automatic bid as the ACC champion, there is likely a decent chance that a one loss Florida State team gets an at-large bid in one of the non-playoff new years day bowls which leaves one less slot for us. That's why we want Florida State to win and go to the playoffs. We want Alabama to win and go to the playoffs for the same reason. If Missouri wins, it is likely that both Alabama and Missouri get NYD non-playoff bowls. We want the higher ranked team to win in every game this weekend. That gives us the best chance.
rickochet2
Scout Team
Scout Team

JustBlues wrote:
JustBlues wrote:The winner of the ACC gets an automatic bid to the Orange Bowl UNLESS they are in the playoffs. If the winner of the ACC is in the playoffs, then the next highest ranked ACC team gets an automatic bid to the Orange Bowl. If Georgia Tech wins, then they are ACC champion. If Florida State wins, then Florida State is the ACC champion BUT they will be going to the playoffs so the next highest ranked ACC team (Georgia Tech) goes to the Orange Bowl. It is in the contract. Georgia Tech will go to the Orange win or lose as the automatic ACC entry. It doesn't affect the at-large bids at all unless it is through some unforeseen ripple effect.
It potentially hurts us if Georgia Tech wins because if they get the automatic bid as the ACC champion, there is likely a decent chance that a one loss Florida State team gets an at-large bid in one of the non-playoff new years day bowls which leaves one less slot for us. That's why we want Florida State to win and go to the playoffs. We want Alabama to win and go to the playoffs for the same reason. If Missouri wins, it is likely that both Alabama and Missouri get NYD non-playoff bowls. We want the higher ranked team to win in every game this weekend. That gives us the best chance.
Blues, the point is that the ACC is guaranteed 2 slots. That won't change unless FSU is undefeated & not invited to the Final 4. Only way that the ACC doesn't get 2 teams in.
I am on the golf course if the Rebels aren't on the field.
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

Re: the Orange Bowl. The Committee will assign all slots for all Committee/Access Bowls, as they are now being called. This trumps any other arrangement. After the 4 playoff spots are assigned, the Committee also assigns the slots for the Orange Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Fiesta Bowl and Peach Bowl. There are no other arrangements that supercede this. Georgia Tech is not guaranteed a slot in the Committee Bowls if they lose. There used to be arrangements for league champions, etc to go to the Sugar and Orange Bowls in the BCS. That's gone. Georgia Tech may end up in the Orange Bowl, but it won't be because they are guaranteed a slot. The Committee may put them there for regional purposes and history, but they could put Mississippi State and Michigan State in the Orange Bowl if they wanted. And put Georgia Tech in the Peach Bowl. If teams finish in the Top Twelve, however, just as in the BCS, they will likely land in one of the Committee Bowls. The Committee decides everything and are not required to do anything except select teams for six bowls.
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Titles 'R Us wrote:Re: the Orange Bowl. The Committee will assign all slots for all Committee/Access Bowls, as they are now being called. This trumps any other arrangement. After the 4 playoff spots are assigned, the Committee also assigns the slots for the Orange Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Fiesta Bowl and Peach Bowl. There are no other arrangements that supercede this. Georgia Tech is not guaranteed a slot in the Committee Bowls if they lose. There used to be arrangements for league champions, etc to go to the Sugar and Orange Bowls in the BCS. That's gone. Georgia Tech may end up in the Orange Bowl, but it won't be because they are guaranteed a slot. The Committee may put them there for regional purposes and history, but they could put Mississippi State and Michigan State in the Orange Bowl if they wanted. And put Georgia Tech in the Peach Bowl. If teams finish in the Top Twelve, however, just as in the BCS, they will likely land in one of the Committee Bowls. The Committee decides everything and are not required to do anything except select teams for six bowls.
I don't want to start an argument, but there are still tie-ins for the Orange, Sugar and Rose when they are not part of the playoffs. The Sugar and Rose are part of the playoffs this year so those tie-ins don't apply, but the Orange does. The Orange is contractually obligated to take the ACC champion this year if the ACC champion does not go to the playoffs. If the ACC champion does go to the playoffs the Orange will have the highest ranked of the other ACC teams. There must be an ACC team in the Orange. That is a contractual agreement between the Orange, the CFP committee and the ACC. The other team in the Orange must either be from the SEC, the Big 10 or Notre Dame. Those are part of the CFP agreement. I hate to use Wikipedia as a reference, but it lays it all out the most clearly. You will find the same information at any site you check, you'll just have to dig a little deeper to find it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_ ... bowl_games
darylscook
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

Titles 'R Us wrote:Re: the Orange Bowl. The Committee will assign all slots for all Committee/Access Bowls, as they are now being called. This trumps any other arrangement. After the 4 playoff spots are assigned, the Committee also assigns the slots for the Orange Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Fiesta Bowl and Peach Bowl. There are no other arrangements that supercede this. Georgia Tech is not guaranteed a slot in the Committee Bowls if they lose. There used to be arrangements for league champions, etc to go to the Sugar and Orange Bowls in the BCS. That's gone. Georgia Tech may end up in the Orange Bowl, but it won't be because they are guaranteed a slot. The Committee may put them there for regional purposes and history, but they could put Mississippi State and Michigan State in the Orange Bowl if they wanted. And put Georgia Tech in the Peach Bowl. If teams finish in the Top Twelve, however, just as in the BCS, they will likely land in one of the Committee Bowls. The Committee decides everything and are not required to do anything except select teams for six bowls.
I think you may be mistaken. If the Orange loses the ACC champ to the playoff bowls, they are contracted to take the next ACC team. GT will play in the Orange Bowl win or lose unless they win and crazy crazy stuff happens and they make the playoff. The only way GT doesn't play in the Orange bowl is if they win and are in the playoffs.

The Orange bowl has the least amount of flexibility. Not only do they have to take the next ACC team. They have to take the highest ranked SEC/B1G team. Unless We jumped SEVERAL teams in the rankings, it doesn't matter what the Orange bowls wanted they could not select us. I think they CAN replace the SEC/B1G team with the next one to stop a rematch game from occurring.

Daryl
-----
Go Rebs!!
mascott
3rd String
3rd String

I thought the playoff committee is the one to pick this bowl and Fiesta, Cotton and Peach bowls.
scott