Arkansas-Quality Win

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Tonight was a heck of a game against Arkansas! We finished one!
jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

Too bad we're too far behind to make anything of this win . 11-6 at this point equals NIT unless we make a serious run .
CrossroadsReb
Scout Team
Scout Team

Did anyone else notice that Mike Anderson didn't shake Kennedy's hand after the game? Kennedy stood at half-court as Anderson walked out toward the center circle (I believe he was staring down the officials...he *beep* all game long), then Kennedy shrugged his shoulders as Anderson walked by him, so he proceeded to shake hands with the Hog assistants. Now, Anderson my have doubled back to Andy, but it was long after ESPN switched to their next game. Is there a history of bad blood between these two?
"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!"
1OLEMISSREBEL
All American
All American

I had this question about this game, there were only two officials because the third official was unable to work due to an ankle injury, per ESPN. Are there not " back-up" officials for games for instances like this??? What would have happened if one of the remaining two became unable to finish? would there have only been one official???
Even a bad day as a Rebel is better than a good day with the dawgs!!!!
mascott
3rd String
3rd String

Relax, ____ is a really good team. Everything will be alright. Kennedy KNOWS how to 'build' a program. And that's what we're doing, we're building. We will raise expectations, not when the the current new arena is built, but when that one becomes dilapidated and a new, new one is built. Just gotta be patient.
scott

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

That's funny. This was a great win. But, then why did we lose to LSU at home? If this team can't be more consistent, then we are who we've always been under Kennedy. I won't hold my breathe.

I think this team is good. But, we've had good teams before. We've had good teams and bad teams over the last 9 years. In that 9 years, there are two constants. The lack of NCAA tourney appearance and Andy Kennedy.
Some Random Dude
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Yeah, consistency is the issue. We looked good at Kentucky... We looked great at Arkansas... We suck at home.

Obviously we just can't play well in that $hitty facility we call the Tad Pad! :roll:
Once we build a "real" coliseum, well start winning consistently! :roll:

*sarcasm*
mascott
3rd String
3rd String

I agree completely. I am an Ole Miss fan, just not much of a basketball fan.
scott
55chevy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

It was probably the best win I can recall since we beat Florida to win the SEC. The announcers kept saying Ole MIss hadn't beat a top twenty five team on the road since 2003. There is no reason this team shouldn't make the tournament but I would be totally shocked if they make it. They are just all over the map. If they shoot it good they can compete with most anybody. They are doing some things better than some of the recent teams. They can shoot free throws and they can actually pass the ball when they take a notion to. It is a shame they won't buckle down and play the game like it needs to be played. They could really have a good basketball team. I watched parts of the Arkansas game and they were competitive but faded late and got beat for the same reasons as usual. In a close game all it takes is a couple of wasted possessions to make the difference in winning and losing.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

[qthat's="55chevy"]It was probably the best win I can recall since we beat Florida to win the SEC. The announcers kept saying Ole MIss hadn't beat a top twenty five team on the road since 2003. There is no reason this team shouldn't make the tournament but I would be totally shocked if they make it. They are just all over the map. If they shoot it good they can compete with most anybody. They are doing some things better than some of the recent teams. They can shoot free throws and they can actually pass the ball when they take a notion to. It is a shame they won't buckle down and play the game like it needs to be played. They could really have a good basketball team. I watched parts of the Arkansas game and they were competitive but faded late and got beat for the same reasons as usual. In a close game all it takes is a couple of wasted possessions to make the difference in winning and losing.[/quote]

Guess u need to learn to watch a little more closer. We beat arkie. If u are talking about the Ga. game, the refs totally screwed us. Saiz fouled out on a bs call. Their bigs fouled us and no call. They shot over twice the number of FT as we did. But u continue your Nellie observations. I'd be disappointed if u didn't. We went 1 and 1 on a arkie, Ga. road swing. Not to bad. But I guess in a Nellie eyes, that's only a reason to whine.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
55chevy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Uh, I guess you missed the part where I said the road win was a good one. I also gave them props for leading the nation in free throw percentage. Seems like we get screwed a lot in close games. Refs must not like us or something. Maybe the reason they shot more free throws than us is that they actually have a inside game and go to the post. Maybe the reason we get beat in close games is because we don't take care of the ball and shoot bad shots. I could care less if you think I'm a Nellie. This team is loaded with talent and should be a shoo in for the tournament but so have a couple of others that made a fine showing in the NIT. They have shown they can compete with every team on the schedule so what is your excuse going to be this year if they don't get in. Is it going to be the refs again, or maybe it's the building. Keep coming up with excuses if you want to but the real truth is that they don't do the little things well enough that sets the good teams apart from the average teams. They had every opportunity in the world to win last night and got beat for the same reasons they usually do. 1 and 1 in the last two games is average and that is exactly where this program has been. Everybody jokes about building a program so I guess my question to you is how long do you think it's going to take. If you can let me in on how long you think it's going to take maybe I can be a little more patient until the building process is done.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

55chevy wrote:Uh, I guess you missed the part where I said the road win was a good one. I also gave them props for leading the nation in free throw percentage. Seems like we get screwed a lot in close games. Refs must not like us or something. Maybe the reason they shot more free throws than us is that they actually have a inside game and go to the post. Maybe the reason we get beat in close games is because we don't take care of the ball and shoot bad shots. I could care less if you think I'm a Nellie. This team is loaded with talent and should be a shoo in for the tournament but so have a couple of others that made a fine showing in the NIT. They have shown they can compete with every team on the schedule so what is your excuse going to be this year if they don't get in. Is it going to be the refs again, or maybe it's the building. Keep coming up with excuses if you want to but the real truth is that they don't do the little things well enough that sets the good teams apart from the average teams. They had every opportunity in the world to win last night and got beat for the same reasons they usually do. 1 and 1 in the last two games is average and that is exactly where this program has been. Everybody jokes about building a program so I guess my question to you is how long do you think it's going to take. If you can let me in on how long you think it's going to take maybe I can be a little more patient until the building process is done.
The GA. game wasn't fairly officiated, if u would've watched it, u would agree. But no, u like to bad mouth our program. If we win, then other team wasn't interested. If we lose, it's AK's fault. We are playing team ball, we do work the ball inside some, but that isn't AK's style, and we all know it. We constantly change defense, so he is coaching, u just don't like him. Just like 2 years ago when 3-4 nellies quit posting after we beat Fla. for the SEC tournament championship. This team has talent, wouldn't call it loaded, but about half the teams in the SEC has more than we do. And it'll get even more of a difference real soon. Ky., Fla., A&M and LSU all had top 10 recruiting classes this season. awbarn signed 2 top 100 players. Think a couple more teams also signed top 100 players. We never sniff a top 100 player. So if u and the other nellies want to complain about someone, complain about the big money people that will never play the AAU game. If u don't pay, u won't get the players. Except for last year, I have no complaint about AK. I also said after the first gamed this year that if we don't improve AK needs to be gone. And I've said that a couple more times since then. The new arena will be nice, but it won't make us a top team, buying players will. And I doubt we spend very much on basketball players like we do in other sports.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

It's amazing how Kennedy is ALWAYS blameless. It makes more sense now with the crap you give Bo Wallace.

It's the refs, the players, blah, blah. One constant in 9 years. 1 tourney appearance on a fluke.

I didn't see anyone say that Arkansas wasn't interested. In fact, most that commented said it was a good/great win. But, then we bookend it with losses to lesser teams(one of which was at home). The only consistent thing in AK's time here is the inconsistency of the team's play.

Ole Miss can be a regular NCAA tourney team. And by regular I mean every 2/3 years. But, we're just NOT with AK.
Some Random Dude
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

He also blamed the Ky. game on them not paying attention to us. He never mentions if Moody doesn't cramp up, we win. And like I said, some quit posting when we started dancing 2 years ago. Now that's some REAL fans.... Let's go ahead and fire AK and rehire Evans. I'm pretty sure we can get him back pretty cheap. If we have another year this year like last, then a change is needed. I've said that several times lately. Not sure I agree with u on us going dancing every 2 or 3 years, unless we start paying. Other than the few years when we was able to get those arkie players, we've never been much until lately. That just isn't going to happen imo. I know I'm in the minority here, but I still think yall are wrong. And I'm still sticking with our coach until I think he's wrong for the job. And Ga. isn't a lesser team, they're a better team. And I also disagree with u on the fluke. We won and also won a game in the tourney, and came within a inch of going further, so we deserved to be there. Guess we can't agree.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebeljim wrote:He also blamed the Ky. game on them not paying attention to us. He never mentions if Moody doesn't cramp up, we win. And like I said, some quit posting when we started dancing 2 years ago. Now that's some REAL fans.... Let's go ahead and fire AK and rehire Evans. I'm pretty sure we can get him back pretty cheap. If we have another year this year like last, then a change is needed. I've said that several times lately. Not sure I agree with u on us going dancing every 2 or 3 years, unless we start paying. Other than the few years when we was able to get those arkie players, we've never been much until lately. That just isn't going to happen imo. I know I'm in the minority here, but I still think yall are wrong. And I'm still sticking with our coach until I think he's wrong for the job. And Ga. isn't a lesser team, they're a better team. And I also disagree with u on the fluke. We won and also won a game in the tourney, and came within a inch of going further, so we deserved to be there. Guess we can't agree.
Again, we DID deserve to be there. But, we were NOT getting in on our resume. We got very hot at the perfect moment. You can't do that every year(which is obvious b/c we don't do it every year, just once in 9 years). And we've had some teams that shouldn't have had to get hot at the perfect moment(just like that team).

I think there are coaches out there that can win without the AAU crap. But, Kennedy ain't one of them. And he can't adapt to make what he has work harder/better, etc.
Some Random Dude