Does Dan Jones have one foot out the door?

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Hearing today that pressure is being put on the IHL that the decision may be overturned. We shall see where all this winds up.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

jrebel87 wrote:
14zrebs wrote:Haley would be a great replacement for jones. He was a great Governor and he is well connected among big money Republicans. If he is the replacement for jones OM will be much better off financially and otherwise.
Don't be f*cking stupid . I suspected that you had Possible issues but If you think Haley would be a better chancellor then jones , you have missed the bigger scheme here . Haley appointed the people that fired Dan . Haley was and is a good ol boy that has his mind stuck in the past along with all the traditions that would have us recruiting two star white boys and winning two games a year if we hadn't gotten rid of them . look at the numbers if you want to see how well Dan has improved this university . Haley will never set foot on campus and if he does the backlash will drive him away .

I don't mean to detract from your passion or your ability to express your opinions but watch your language please... this isn't the Nafoom Board.
Later,
Hagar
jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

Hagar wrote:
jrebel87 wrote:
14zrebs wrote:Haley would be a great replacement for jones. He was a great Governor and he is well connected among big money Republicans. If he is the replacement for jones OM will be much better off financially and otherwise.
Don't be f*cking stupid . I suspected that you had Possible issues but If you think Haley would be a better chancellor then jones , you have missed the bigger scheme here . Haley appointed the people that fired Dan . Haley was and is a good ol boy that has his mind stuck in the past along with all the traditions that would have us recruiting two star white boys and winning two games a year if we hadn't gotten rid of them . look at the numbers if you want to see how well Dan has improved this university . Haley will never set foot on campus and if he does the backlash will drive him away .

I don't mean to detract from your passion or your ability to express your opinions but watch your language please... this isn't the Nafoom Board.
I apologize, Hagar. I'm just fed up with the political aspect of this whole deal. I mean our university has never been in such a good position and yet some people want us to return to the stone age.
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

I apologize, Hagar. I'm just fed up with the political aspect of this whole deal. I mean our university has never been in such a good position and yet some people want us to return to the stone age.
thanx for understanding... I do appreciate your input. I too share your opinions... it is hard for me not to want to go out and strike someone...just remember we aren't MSU fans.
We have vocabularies. ;)
Later,
Hagar
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Something Rotten in Oxford (Mississippi)

Being chancellor of a major university is not exactly a job with a lot of turnover. They usually settle in for about a decade, and absent any major public scandal, go quietly in the night. When they ultimately do retire, the campus almost always issues a statement saying something about "returning to her/his first love of teaching" or "spending more time with his/her family."

This was not the case last Friday when University of Mississippi Chancellor Dan Jones unceremoniously got the boot. Since his ouster Friday, three of the University's most beloved graduates, John Grisham, Jim Barksdale and Archie Manning, have sounded off on the matter. All are supporting Jones.

To fully understand the matter, you must take the advice of advice of Watergate's Deep Throat and "follow the money."

Mississippi is a small state where everyone knows everyone. So let's get the caveats out of the way. Dan Jones is a friend. His predecessor and champion, Robert Khayat, was my law professor. John Grisham was my classmate in Khayat's class. Jim Barksdale - brilliant and visionary business leader - supported opponent in my first gubernatorial elections, but supported my re-elect against Haley Barbour. In that 2003 election Archie Manning publically endorsed Haley Barbour. So I have friends of all different stripes involved in this fight.

Jones came to the Chancellor's office at Ole Miss at the urging of outgoing chancellor Robert Khayat, a former football star for the '59 National Champion Rebels. Khayat had been wildly beloved as chancellor, and then-Governor Barbour dared not go directly against a living legend. So the Institutions of Higher Learning Board members appointed by Barbour voted to allow Jones to follow his mentor.

Since that time, Barbour has taken two highly lucrative positions. Without missing a beat, he returned to his pre-gubernatorial position as head of Washington, DC lobbying firm, the BGR Group. He also took an equity position at the law firm, Butler Snow, in Ridgeland, MS - a suburb of the state's capitol of Jackson.

When Barbour left office, Butler Snow was the third largest law firm in town. Since then, Butler Snow has taken hundreds of millions of dollars in state contracts. Now they are one of the largest firms in the nation.

Their offices are a who's-who of former and future gubernatorial appointments. Their roster of attorneys includes Barbour's former Chief of Staff, Governor Bryant's daughter, US Senator's Wicker's daughter and her husband - who also happens to be Governor Bryant's former Chief of Staff and campaign manager for Senate Appropriations chair Sen. Thad Cochran.

The former head of the Department of Environmental Quality - the person charged with all environmental regulatory actions - left her position at MDEQ to join Butler Snow. Not coincidentially, her replacement was also a Butler Snow attorney when he was picked for the job.

Butler Snow got the contract to redraw the state legislative map during redistricting. And to the shock of no one, Butler Snow's favored candidates came out on top.

Butler Snow could be considered the 'for-profit' arm of our state government.

Hiring well placed partners is considered best practices for any ambitious capital city law firm - especially in a state where much of government business is given through no-bid contracts.

What do they have to do with Jones? Nothing. That's the problem, if you're Dan Jones.

Major state universities are more than just big football weekends, quirky traditions, Greek system public relations nightmares, and incubators for a states 'best and brightest.' They are huge revenue generators.

Hundreds of millions - if not billions - flow through their hallowed halls in legal fees for health care contracts, research grants, bond issuances, buildings contracting, the list is too long to count. Even in a poor state that chronically underfunds education, we're talking a mountain of untapped billable hours for a firm like Butler Snow.

Dan Jones was standing at the gates of a gold mine, but he wasn't a Butler Snow man. He wasn't a Barbour or Bryant man. He was just a man who cared deeply about his state, felt passionately about education, and wanted to see his alma mater develop into a world-class institution. Or as he put it, he just "wanted to do the right thing."

And for the Bryants and the Barbours and Butler Snow, caring more about the future of your state than the firm's profits was absolutely unacceptable. So late on a Friday Afternoon, with everyone focused on NCAA's March Madness, the Members of the Board of Higher Learning - all appointed by Barbour and Bryant - let Jones go.

So why did these three favorite sons - Grisham and Barksdale and Manning - stand up and fiercely complain about the type of firing that otherwise happens somewhat regularly? It's probably partly out of admiration they felt for a good and decent man.

It may have to do with something else they all have in common - a love and respect for education, and the institution that provided one that enabled them to be successful. And perhaps, they know that turning over their beloved Ole Miss to the political cronies that run our shadow for-profit government is bad for education.

When a university worries more about politics than it does students and educators, that's bad news for the students and educators. When a chancellor has to worry about taking care of the Governor's cronies, those legal fees get taken out of salaries, skimmed off research grants and added to tuition.

While I can't speak for Grisham, Barksdale or Manning, I can say for myself, this is a different kind of Greek tragedy than one you usually see on college campuses these days. It's a classic tale of money and greed and corruption, and the firing of Dr. Daniel W. Jones was only the first act.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ronnie-mu ... 28482.html
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Rumor, rumor.....
Rumors have quickly started that Blake Thompson at Ohio St. University might be the chancellor of choice of the unseen powers.
Were he to get the job, he would join Bill Laforge and Mark Keenum as former Cochran staffers who have been appointed as presidents of MS universities. There's something not healthy about having three people from the same Congressional staff.
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

I am also hearing Barry Cannada as another name being thrown around.
Later,
Hagar
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

rebeljim wrote:Rumor, rumor.....
Rumors have quickly started that Blake Thompson at Ohio St. University might be the chancellor of choice of the unseen powers.
Were he to get the job, he would join Bill Laforge and Mark Keenum as former Cochran staffers who have been appointed as presidents of MS universities. There's something not healthy about having three people from the same Congressional staff.
His Bio makes him look really good... I am impressed with him... he is for sure qualified.

http://thelantern.com/2015/03/ohio-stat ... t-affairs/

Ohio State chooses new vice president for government affairs
March 18, 2015
Amanda Etchison
etchison.4@osu.edu.
Blake Thompson, who currently serves as secretary of the Board of Trustees, was chosen by the university to be the next vice president for government affairs. Credit: Courtesy of OSU
Blake Thompson, who currently serves as secretary of the Board of Trustees, was chosen by the university to be the next vice president for government affairs. Credit: Courtesy of OSU
Ohio State announced Tuesday that it has chosen Blake Thompson as the university’s next vice president for government affairs.

Thompson, who currently serves as secretary of the Board of Trustees, joined OSU in 2009 as the vice president for institutional affairs at both OSU and Battelle, an international nonprofit research organization based in Columbus.

In addition to teaching public policy and nonprofit leadership at OSU’s John Glenn School of Public Affairs, Thompson has also assisted in the establishment of the Center for Science and Technology Policy, a policy center in the school that is endowed by Battelle. Thompson also helped create the Wexner Medical Center Board, and assisted in providing staff support for the presidential search committee. He also served on the presidential transition team, according to a university press release.

As vice president, Thompson will work within the OSU Office of Government Affairs to bolster relationships between the university and federal, state and local government officials. The Office of Government Affairs works with all levels of government on legislative, budget, economic and community-building issues, the release said.

The university has been looking for someone to fill this position since January, when Herb Asher, a professor emeritus of political science, retired after more than 30 years of working closely with OSU presidents.

According to university salary data from calendar year 2013, Asher made a base salary of $236,385 while working as vice president for economic and workforce development and special assistant to the president.

Although Thompson, who has a Ph.D. in pharmaceutical sciences from the University of Mississippi, has an academic background based in science and research, he has previously worked with and for the government at multiple levels.

Prior to taking a job at OSU, Thompson served as director of university partnerships for Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Tennessee. Before that, Thompson held the position of Republican Deputy Staff Director of the United States Senate Committee on Appropriations, the release said. He also served on the staff of Mississippi Sen. Thad Cochran as legislative director.

In the release, OSU President Michael Drake said he thinks Thompson is “well-positioned to make a smooth transition” into his new job at the university.

Thompson is set assume the role of vice president for government affairs “pending Board of Trustees approval,” the release said.
Later,
Hagar
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Hagar wrote:I am also hearing Barry Cannada as another name being thrown around.
Have seen his name mentioned as well. Was a thread on scout about him.
darylscook
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

I don't believe anything Ronnie Musgrove says, Just saying.....
-----
Go Rebs!!
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

darylscook wrote:I don't believe anything Ronnie Musgrove says, Just saying.....
Went to college 2 years with Ronny. He went to North Panola High School if I'm not wrong. Always got along with him back in the day. Saw him again about 10 years ago at an Ole Miss football game. We talked over old times for a few, then headed to the Vaught.
beastbutler65
Scout Team
Scout Team

Hi y'all! Been gone a long time. Watching Quon get his leg broke was just too much for me and I went into "hibernation."

The Jones debacle has brought me out. I prayed for the man's recovery from his illness and wish him no harm. I agree with what he has done in many things such as the hiring of Freeze and Bjorg. I do not agree with many things that he has done such as turning a deaf ear to anyone who disagrees with him and the kowtowing to ultra liberal demands for removing this and that tradition, song, symbol, building name, flag, street name, whatever.

Good gosh! Somebody actually quoted a fairy tale from Huff Puff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Really now??????????????

The situation as I understand it is this---Jones refused to follow policies and procedures established by the BTIHL in regard to the issuance of contracts at the UMMC since he felt, and in no uncertain terms told any and every body who would listen including the BTIHL, that he knew better how to run UMMC than either the new Vice-Chancellor and certainly better than the BTIHL themselves. They called him on this and he refused to change his ways. This process evolved over several years and finally culminated in the non-renewal on Friday.

If Jones is such the great leader that all these people say that he is, then he will have the courage to resign and do it NOW.
14zrebs
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

beastbutler65 wrote:Hi y'all! Been gone a long time. Watching Quon get his leg broke was just too much for me and I went into "hibernation."

The Jones debacle has brought me out. I prayed for the man's recovery from his illness and wish him no harm. I agree with what he has done in many things such as the hiring of Freeze and Bjorg. I do not agree with many things that he has done such as turning a deaf ear to anyone who disagrees with him and the kowtowing to ultra liberal demands for removing this and that tradition, song, symbol, building name, flag, street name, whatever.

Good gosh! Somebody actually quoted a fairy tale from Huff Puff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Really now??????????????

The situation as I understand it is this---Jones refused to follow policies and procedures established by the BTIHL in regard to the issuance of contracts at the UMMC since he felt, and in no uncertain terms told any and every body who would listen including the BTIHL, that he knew better how to run UMMC than either the new Vice-Chancellor and certainly better than the BTIHL themselves. They called him on this and he refused to change his ways. This process evolved over several years and finally culminated in the non-renewal on Friday.

If Jones is such the great leader that all these people say that he is, then he will have the courage to resign and do it NOW.
U R absolutely right!
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

beastbutler65 wrote:Hi y'all! Been gone a long time. Watching Quon get his leg broke was just too much for me and I went into "hibernation."

it would seem that you and I were both right in our assessment of the situation...here is the quote regarding your statements/quotes/thoughts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kHnIBrEWlw

I think we can all make some sort of informed decision now on who caused and what the incident was that brought down Dr. Jones... I guess everyone will have to ultimately decide for themselves which was the more important factor.
Later,
Hagar
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

U and Hagar are not right on all these things. And him being replaced is wrong. Believe what u want, but this stinks big time, and will only be bad for Ole Miss. Been seeing a lot about this on Ole Coach's board with people that know what's what. This is a power play by the IHL, nothing more. Jones is a liberal that stepped on a lot of toes, but a lot of it needed to happen. And again, if we hire a good ole boy, then Ole Miss is totally screwed. But I guess Archie and others that have a good idea of what's happening are wrong, and u and Hagar are right. Better hope RB doesn't leave over this. If he goes, I expect others to follow.