Vandy Thread

Baseball Related Discussions

Moderators: oxfordrebel, Rebel Security

GtownRebel
All American
All American

The key was the last two games pitching. Moving Seth Smith to relief turned the tide on the third day. We have bullpen strength if we use it at the right time. In this series MB did use it properly and we took the series. Plus the hitting finally gelled that series. I won't say it is fixed because we usually find a way to *beep* it up, but it was a nice surprise to see some hits after the first game in the series.

I heard earlier in the season that we were taking the first two pitches and MB finally took the reins off the batters and let them swing early if it was a good pitch. Seems like it is working in most cases.
Last edited by GtownRebel on Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

Yeah, I agree about Sam Smith. Use him in middle relief. I also heard that he had had some surgery off-season and that what he really needed was time to fully recover. At any rate, I think MB did handle the Vandy series big-time.
rebelbear
Head Coach
Head Coach

FWIW, the NCAA has us at 26 in RPI. That's pretty solid with our record being an even .500 (thanks to the #1 SOS). That schedule doesn't get much easier. Four out our remaining five SEC opponents are inside the top 35 (including A&M at #4). That means there are plenty of opportunities for us to get ourselves in the conversation to host.
GtownRebel
All American
All American

Considering that we have had to rebuild our team from last year with all of the players that moved on, I have to give MB credit for having a competitive team this year. IF we make it, great. If not, it was a rebuilding year for us and we will be strong next year for sure. It would be great for us to make the regionals this year.
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

I think once MB got over the hump of getting us to Omaha and performing well there, he became the coach he was always capable of being. Some bad breaks prevented him from getting us to Omaha before, and some of us were super critical of him--myself included. But as far as I'm concerned, he's my coach, and I'm happy to have him here.