I'm Sad

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

texasrebel
Scout Team
Scout Team

Last edited by texasrebel on Wed May 06, 2015 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Surprised it took this long.

Take that Florida.
Some Random Dude
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

This is well deserved. We DID go dancing, so an extension is warranted.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebeljim wrote:This is well deserved. We DID go dancing, so an extension is warranted.
Just glad it got done before Florida, or anyone else, called.
Some Random Dude
texasrebel
Scout Team
Scout Team

rebeljim wrote:This is well deserved. We DID go dancing, so an extension is warranted.
I don’t agree...we went pre-dancing and got blown away. He was and has been paid handsomely for mediocrity. If that’s what we are after, then we are there. We are currently being lapped by the other SEC schools as to coaching, especially MSU. When we finally come to the realization that AK will never take us to the next level, we will be years behind. I like AK as a person but he will never get us to that level. He has had ample time to do it. All he does is put band-aids on this program year after year. I could see maybe a 1 year or 2 year extension but not 4 years. Highly disappointed.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

texasrebel wrote:
I don’t agree...we went pre-dancing and got blown away. He was and has been paid handsomely for mediocrity. If that’s what we are after, then we are there. We are currently being lapped by the other SEC schools as to coaching, especially MSU. When we finally come to the realization that AK will never take us to the next level, we will be years behind. I like AK as a person but he will never get us to that level. He has had ample time to do it. All he does is put band-aids on this program year after year. I could see maybe a 1 year or 2 year extension but not 4 years. Highly disappointed.
I'm not crazy about him as a person.

But, with 4 year maximum contract that is in place by MS legislature, it's kind of an insult to not offer the max. IMO, a two-year contract would signal to the coach that confidence is low among the admin. So I understand the reasoning. And, like Jim said, he made the tourney. And it's been 2 in 3 years. So maybe he's starting to turn it around. I, like you, aren't convince just yet. Mainly b/c I agree with your band-aid statement. But, it is what it is.
Some Random Dude
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

lewindha wrote:
texasrebel wrote:
I'm not crazy about him as a person.

But, with 4 year maximum contract that is in place by MS legislature, it's kind of an insult to not offer the max. IMO, a two-year contract would signal to the coach that confidence is low among the admin. So I understand the reasoning. And, like Jim said, he made the tourney. And it's been 2 in 3 years. So maybe he's starting to turn it around. I, like you, aren't convince just yet. Mainly b/c I agree with your band-aid statement. But, it is what it is.
And we had to do something. You know, with his phone ringing off the hook and all.
Some Random Dude
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

texasrebel wrote:
It's just a one year extension. And if he gets another extension next year, it'll be till 2020. When we decide to do the things msu did in basketball, then we'll be better. But until then.........
CrossroadsReb
Scout Team
Scout Team

Our window of opportunity to be able to get Michael White just slammed shut.
"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!"
rebelbear
Head Coach
Head Coach

rebeljim wrote: When we decide to do the things msu did in basketball, then we'll be better. But until then.........
Hire a good coach??
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebelbear wrote:
rebeljim wrote: When we decide to do the things msu did in basketball, then we'll be better. But until then.........
Hire a good coach??
If that's what u call it. Howland is a cheat, but good coach? Also rumor is a certain state booster that sells tires put up $250,000 to help get Newman. Let me know when one of our boosters helps that much with a basketball recruit.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

how is he a cheat?
Some Random Dude
rebelbear
Head Coach
Head Coach

rebeljim wrote:
rebelbear wrote:
Hire a good coach??
If that's what u call it. Howland is a cheat, but good coach? Also rumor is a certain state booster that sells tires put up $250,000 to help get Newman. Let me know when one of our boosters helps that much with a basketball recruit.
Jim, I was really just messing with you...I couldn't care less what State does in basketball, football, or baseball, and honestly I know absolutely nothing about Howland and his coaching ability. As far as the booster throwing up $250K to get Newman, I'm going to call BS on that one. I find it very hard to believe that an SEC school not named Kentucky would put up that kind of cash for a basketball player. Besides, I thought it was Adidas and the shoe deal that got Newman to State.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

lewindha wrote:how is he a cheat?
Google him Eric. Look what it says about him at UCLA. Hey, I'd take him in a minute. I'm not too proud to cheat to win.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Hire a good coach??[/quote]

If that's what u call it. Howland is a cheat, but good coach? Also rumor is a certain state booster that sells tires put up $250,000 to help get Newman. Let me know when one of our boosters helps that much with a basketball recruit.[/quote]

Jim, I was really just messing with you...I couldn't care less what State does in basketball, football, or baseball, and honestly I know absolutely nothing about Howland and his coaching ability. As far as the booster throwing up $250K to get Newman, I'm going to call BS on that one. I find it very hard to believe that an SEC school not named Kentucky would put up that kind of cash for a basketball player. Besides, I thought it was Adidas and the shoe deal that got Newman to State.[/quote]

A lot of what he gets from Adidas will come after his one year at state. I think he gets an x-amount up front from Adidas, and the rest when he goes pro. The school still pays their share to get the player. I don't know everything that's involved in recruiting. Meskelly [sp] is the one that paid a bundle to insure Newman is a dog from what's being said. When u get a top player, u pay top dollar.