Maryland Game 1

Baseball Related Discussions

Moderators: oxfordrebel, Rebel Security

lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I say we fire this "razorback". I mean, dammit, he's missed the post-season twice in the 15 years. That ain't good enough.

We lost a ton of talent, leadership, etc.

We keep talking about the obstacles Kennedy has in basketball. How about only be able to give out 11 full scholarships in baseball. Chase on Rivals talks about this all the time while mentioning "it's basically a miracle he's been able to accomplish what he has when LSU and Vandy and the like can stack their teams with scholarship players". Some on Rivals suggested that we need a state lottery, b/c that is how LSU and Vandy are able to put more money into their baseball budgets.

I feel this year was a bit disappointing, also. But, but if making the post-season is a disappointment, then I'll take where we stand as a program any day.

I mean, he IS the winning coach in program history. Apparently that only counts for something when it's basketball.
Some Random Dude
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Our recruiting has taken a hit. We aren't getting the players needed to stay competitive. Here's the top 500 players for the draft this year. Noticed no Ole Miss players on the list. Baseball should be the easiest sport to recruit to. Eric also has a point stating we're behind the 8 ball because of stupid rules that need to be changed.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft-preview/
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

lewindha wrote:I say we fire this "razorback". I mean, dammit, he's missed the post-season twice in the 15 years. That ain't good enough.

We keep talking about the obstacles Kennedy has in basketball. How about only be able to give out 11 full scholarships in baseball. Chase on Rivals talks about this all the time while mentioning "it's basically a miracle he's been able to accomplish what he has when LSU and Vandy and the like can stack their teams with scholarship players". Some on Rivals suggested that we need a state lottery, b/c that is how LSU and Vandy are able to put more money into their baseball budgets.

I feel this year was a bit disappointing, also. But, but if making the post-season is a disappointment, then I'll take where we stand as a program any day.

I mean, he IS the winning coach in program history. Apparently that only counts for something when it's basketball.
Slow down boss. I don't see anyone mentioning firing Bianco. But, since when is higher expectations unacceptable? It seems to me some fans become content with mediocre and get somewhat complacent. Im done being satisfied with making a freaking regional. We made the CWS...LAST YEAR....hooray!!! guess what, it's a new year and that is in the past!! Should we settle with that and wait another 10, 15, 20 years for another trip?! I don't think so my friend. Like mentioned before, this program is more than able to be in the national spotlight every single year.

Am I saying we should go to Omaha every year and win it all every couple of years...no. But, when we become ok with appearing in a regional and using that as an arguement for satisfaction, I think that's low standards for a school that is considered by most..."a baseball school". I've seen this team be great, I've seen some top tier talent come here, i see top tier facilities, I see top 2-3 attendance year on year out, and I finally see an athletic director committed to our sports programs. but, then I see teams that make a lot of noise here and there only to come up short of the big dance year after year. So, please explain to me why I'm wrong about higher expectations....and BTW, your constant arguement about our basketball team has NoTHING to do with baseball so let's not go there.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

WildRebel wrote:
lewindha wrote:I say we fire this "razorback". I mean, dammit, he's missed the post-season twice in the 15 years. That ain't good enough.

Slow down boss. I don't see anyone mentioning firing Bianco. But, since when is higher expectations unacceptable? It seems to me some fans become content with mediocre and get somewhat complacent. Im done being satisfied with making a freaking regional. We made the CWS...LAST YEAR....hooray!!! guess what, it's a new year and that is in the past!! Should we settle with that and wait another 10, 15, 20 years for another trip?! I don't think so my friend. Like mentioned before, this program is more than able to be in the national spotlight every single year.

Am I saying we should go to Omaha every year and win it all every couple of years...no. But, when we become ok with appearing in a regional and using that as an arguement for satisfaction, I think that's low standards for a school that is considered by most..."a baseball school". I've seen this team be great, I've seen some top tier talent come here, i see top tier facilities, I see top 2-3 attendance year on year out, and I finally see an athletic director committed to our sports programs. but, then I see teams that make a lot of noise here and there only to come up short of the big dance year after year. So, please explain to me why I'm wrong about higher expectations....and BTW, your constant arguement about our basketball team has NoTHING to do with baseball so let's not go there.
U should know Eric and some others cannot talk about anything Ole Miss without taking a shot at AK and the program. It just doesn't happen.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

We will have to hold AK to higher standards (not that some of us haven't been anyway) when he starts coaching in The Pavilion. Otherwise, why build it? As for baseball, MB has a far better postseason record than AK, but I agree with the position that with our facilities, fan base and past appearances in Supers and finally in the CWS, merely appearing in somebody else's regional is the lowest of standards. In any case, Freeze, Kennedy and Bianco should all be held to the highest standards possible. We will soon begin expanding the North End Zone. It's about winning at the highest level possible. Taking no prisoners. That is all.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I'm sorry. It just blows my mind that Bianco gets criticized after what he's accomplished and AK gets pass after pass after pass after pass. Baseball was in as bad or worse shape than basketball when Bianco took over. ONE postseason appearance in 30 years before he was hired. You talk about 'who would want to come here if we fire Kennedy'? Who would want to come here if we fire Bianco? And don't give me the we have great fans and a great stadium BS. You just fired a guy who missed the postseason twice in 15 years, made 5 supers, and a CWS at a school that was absolutely NOBODY in college baseball before he got here.

I know it's all about what have you done for me lately, but it will now and will always grind my gears that Kennedy has made two tourney appearances and he's doing a GREAT job, and Bianco has built a nationally relevant program, but let's put him on notice b/c he hasn't won 10 championships. Let's ignore the scholarship thing, let's ignore that fact that he keeps losing elite coaching talent to head coaching jobs and having to replace them. But all of Kennedy's faults are soley based on the Tad Pad and our lack of support for the basketball program.
Some Random Dude
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

I'll just repeat what I said in my last post on this thread: Freeze, Kennedy and Bianco should all be held to the highest standards possible every year. All of them. We should want Freeze to get us to the Playoff, as he flirted with last year. We should want Kennedy to get us to the Tournament and do some damage, which he has only done once in his tenure. I can't be clearer than that about what I expect from him. And, yeah, I hated seeing Michael White go to Florida! But I really didn't see much criticism of Bianco this year. I think most fans were realistic and patient this season. I certainly was.

So, next sports year, I don't think these goals are unrealistic: a New Year's Six Bowl or better for Freeze; going to the tournament (not a play-in game) and winning at least one game for Kennedy; and hosting for Bianco. Those are my expectations.