Most Ole Miss freshmen will be redshirted

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Game week is here, but most Ole Miss freshmen are still a year away from seeing the Vaught-Hemingway Stadium field on Saturdays.
Many seasons past the Rebels would be counting on young newcomers in some key roles. Beyond freshman guard Javon Patterson that’s not the case in 2015, the fourth season under coach Hugh Freeze.
There are junior college transfers who will play, and some will start, most true freshmen will be redshirted.
Patterson (6-3, 307) was rated a five-star prospect by 247Sports, a four-star by the other recruiting services. He graduated early from Petal High School, went through spring drills and closed off an impressive camp by running first team at left guard.
“I’m comfortable with Javon,” Freeze said.
The freshman class includes two of the top 15 wide receiver prospects, but it’s unclear if either will get on the field this year.
Freeze raved about running back Eric Swinney on signing day, but a summer stress fracture in his leg required surgery, increasing the chances of a redshirt for the four-star prospect from Fayetteville, Ga.
Freeze, other coaches and returning players have had good things to say about various freshmen throughout the month.
Senior safety Chief Brown was impressed with cornerback Cam Ordway, a four-star signee who attended the same high school in Pulaski, Tenn., as former Ole Miss quarterback Bo Wallace.
“He’s learning the defense and not being able to play fast he’s been doing well. Kailo (Moore) got hurt the other day, and he stepped right in. The first play he got an interception so he’s coming on really good. He’s the one who’s been the most impressive freshman to me, especially on the defensive side,” Brown said.
Defensive coordinator Dave Wommack has highlighted safety Zedrick Woods.
Promising Receivers
Receivers coach Grant Heard said his highest rated signees, DaMarkus Lodge and Van Jefferson, have looked “like freshmen” and that he was unclear if they would play this season.
Freeze, though, had more defining commentary.
“Van Jefferson is going to be really, really good. It remains to be seen this year whether we play him or not,” Freeze said. “He’s good enough to play. So is Lodge, but Van stands out the way he runs routes.”
That was the book on Jefferson during his recruiting, that he was a good route runner, a technician. That’s not surprising given he’s the son of an NFL wide receivers coach, Shawn Jefferson.
The freshman who has most surprised Freeze has been walk-on tight end Dawson Knox. He played at Brentwood (Tenn.)Academy and was listed as a dual threat quarterback by Rivals.com.
“Dawson Knox has had a great camp. He’s an athletic kid, and he’s going to be a big kid, but he needs a year to get ready. He’s been a big surprise,” Freeze said.

http://djournal.com/sports/most-ole-mis ... edshirted/
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
badmotorfinger
All American
All American

This is a testament to the quality depth that we have. Personally I don't think it's been this good since I've been a rebel fan. CHF has done a fine job recruiting.
Rule #1.......Don't panik
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I like that freeze said he discusses red shirting with the parents