Random thoughts

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Carlos Davis owes CJ Johnson a meal. Hopefully Carlos learned his lesson as far as dangerous fielding of punts.

Our starting 11 have scored a touchdown every drive that they have had the ball.

Our starting 11 on defense have not given up a touchdown. We were already substituting generously when Fresno scored their first offensive touchdown.

Despite the previous point, we have got to improve our tackling. We saw that the first week, and although we improved a little this week, Waller definitely gave the Alabama running backs a picture of where we are tackling wise.

We need Conyers’ athletic ability against Alabama. We also need zero bad snaps. That sounds too obvious to mention, but with a snap over the head in each game, it is a big concern. Just one of those could wreck our chances against any SEC team.

Hugh Freeze says that Chad Kelly studies film more than he (Coach Freeze) does. Chad says that he has watched Alabama film every day that he has been at Ole Miss.

Our receiving corps is outstanding. I know that everyone here knows that, but I have to say it anyway. Treadwell had the first game back jitters in the first game and dropped a couple of passes. Pack had the one bad drop when he was wide open against Fresno, but other than that they have been flawless. They are not only good at catching the ball, but they are excellent and relentless blockers. Interestingly, Engram has one catch on the year and was not even targeted against Fresno. Of course, we are well aware what he can do.

There is so much that we have on offense and defense that we have not yet shown. With that, we have definitely given other teams something to think about with the addition of one of the best deep ball capabilities out there.
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

I also gotta add we have probably the Best FG kicker in the SEC and he hasn't had the first attempt this year...I expect his contribution this game to be the difference in the game... imagine a scenario a couple of good passes each drive and a FG should we stall out...that alone should be enough to keep bama at bay.
Later,
Hagar
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Hagar wrote:I...he hasn't had the first attempt this year...
We kicked a field goal against Fresno. We had a drive that stalled with our substitutes in and Wunderlich kicked a thirty something yard FG.
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

37 yards was the official distance. It was as perfect as a FG can be.
Grenada Reb
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

Great point on the high snaps from Conyers, maybe too much adrenalin because I think they have happened on the 2nd play of the 1st drives. Isn't it great that we are nitpicking such a great team? I worry about Saturday from the standpoint of are we going to make these mistakes when we line up against "the gold standard" but I also wonder what is going through their minds as well...Let's see they are averaging 74.5 points per game and their 2 all-American receivers haven't caught a TD pass yet...their new quarterback has been studying film on our tendencies every day since he has been on campus....their defensive starters haven't played more than a half in each game.......
CrossroadsReb
Scout Team
Scout Team

My Key: How will we respond to our first real case of adversity? In the first 2 games, the kids knew that they would be able to overcome mistakes against inferior opponents. However, the fact that this is a game in which there will somewhat be a FEAR of making that one big, costly mistake combined with this being the first game in front of a hostile crowd...deadly combination unless your kids are VERY tough mentally.

I think we've got this...
"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!"
spudhog
3rd String
3rd String

Definitely believe that OM has upgraded at QB. I'm still concerned with OM's running game. They'll need to get around 100-125 to win at ALA this week. If they can do that, then I feel like a win is probable. OM will definitely be able to challenge that ALA def a lot more than just about anyone else in the SEC this year.

I like OM in this one. Hard to pick anyone to beat Bama at home but OM may just have the horses to do so. All depends on their OFF though.