Some Rushing Stats from Auburn Game

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

bldn10
Water Boy
Water Boy

So we ran the ball pretty well yesterday? Omitting Kelly, we got 135 yards on 31 carries for an ave. of 4.35. Then why, some may ask, do we have so much trouble making 3rd and short? The answer is inconsistency, and illustrates how averages can be misleading. On 16 of those 31 attempts, over half, we netted an average of a mere 1.4375 yards! We had 5 runs of 0 or lost yardage, 3 for 1, 6 for 2, and 6 for 3. 11 runs got over 3 yards. Based on this game, we have a probability of making 3rd and 3 on the ground only about 1/3 of the time.

Another illustration is Judd's day, which has gotten generally favorable comments. He ran 8 times and averaged an impressive 6.75 yards. But that is skewed by runs of 7, 14, and 25 yards. On the other 5 he had a total of 8. Jaylen averaged 3.9 but his was skewed by runs of 7, 13, 12, and 10. The total on the other 16 was 36, an average of 2.25. Good thing we break one every now and then.
Bill/Memphis
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

Not really sure about your aim with the stats, but I think it's obvious at this point we're not a rushing team. Although, I have seen an improvement the last 2 weeks. Some of your stats may have merit but I think the bottom line is we've run the ball lately well enough to keep defenses honest enough to respect it and at the same time open up our passing game which is what it's all about.
CrossroadsReb
Scout Team
Scout Team

The majority of our "big runs" the past 2 weeks can be credited to a change in our blocking scheme. We are pulling the guard (a scheme that just hasn't worked very well for us) less and, instead, are bringing our H-back across the formation to make that kick-out block. However, in those 3rd & 4th down situations, we go back to pulling the guard. In most cases, another lineman gets blown up and prevents the pulling guard from getting to his block. I'd prefer to see us go to more of a spread formation to give us more run/pass options.
"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!"