Seeing where the 4th down play was illegal

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Seeing on other boards where they're saying once the ball hit the ground, it was dead. Don't matter, we lost and our coaching staff sucks.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebel556677
Scout Team
Scout Team

It really doesn't matter. We lost the game, again, to a team we should have buried. The defense played very soft and instead of being "Strong Like OX" they were "Strong Like Bunny Rabbits".
Just another day being better than State.
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

Since it was 4th down (this rule doesn't apply to any other down), no other player on the fumbler's team can advance that ball other than the fumbler himself.

In short, once the lateral hit the ground, it became a fumble. And since fumbles can't be advanced by other team-mates other than the fumbler himself on 4th down, the ball was dead at the 42.

That doesn't change our defensive play. But that's the NCAA rule.

Editing to say this: To the extent that the lateral was in actuality a "backwards pass", to the extent that there's a distinction, it fell incomplete once hitting the ground. If the QB had one-hopped his original pass behind the LOS, okay, per the rules, such passes (and there can be several) can then be made by the 1st or subsequent receivers to another downfield. But once ANY pass is caught beyond the original LOS, this rule no longer applies.

Therefore, the same conclusion is inescapable: Once Henry caught the original pass beyond the original LOS, it cannot hit the ground at any point afterward and be anything other than a fumble. The ruling was wrong.

Paid for and Approved by Hagar
Later,
Hagar
loophole54
Water Boy
Water Boy

Hagar

Please cite the rule that says a backwards pass that falls past the original line of scrimmage is a fumble and thus (on 4th down) can only be advanced by the fumbling player. If the call is wrong it will drive me crazy!!
loophole54
Water Boy
Water Boy

How about Rule 7, Section 1, Article 7::

Planned Loose Ball
ARTICLE 7. A Team A player may not advance a planned loose ball in the
vicinity of the snapper.

Obviously the rule is intended to deal with the "fake" fumble on the snap, picked up by another player. However, there can be no doubt that the receiver who threw the backwards pass "planned" for the backwards pass to be a "loose ball." And the planned loose ball was in the vicinity of the snapper.
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

loophole54 wrote:Hagar

Please cite the rule that says a backwards pass that falls past the original line of scrimmage is a fumble and thus (on 4th down) can only be advanced by the fumbling player. If the call is wrong it will drive me crazy!!
read rebeljim's posted link above.
Later,
Hagar
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

loophole54 wrote:Hagar

read rebeljim's posted link above.

the pass from the QB to the TE was across the line of scrimmage... the "backwards pass" went across the LOS again and backward and bounced "Dead" (incomplete backward pass)... if it was a lateral it was "dead when it hit the ground"... if it was a fumble it could not be advanced at all due to being 4th down. the SEC refs got it wrong.
Later,
Hagar
1OLEMISSREBEL
All American
All American

DId anyone ask CHF about the ruling at today's press conference?
Even a bad day as a Rebel is better than a good day with the dawgs!!!!
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

1OLEMISSREBEL wrote:DId anyone ask CHF about the ruling at today's press conference?
Not that I know of ... however I doubt that any SEC coach would have the cajonies to challenge the SEC office...I don't expect anything to be mentioned about it ever again... just like Duke,. we gotta take a bite of this big ole %#$^&#%^ sandwich
Later,
Hagar
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Follow the link in this thread and it should tell u what u want to know.
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

1OLEMISSREBEL wrote:DId anyone ask CHF about the ruling at today's press conference?
The presser was a cake walk! Not one tough question. Almost as if the questions were screened! No one asked him about Wommack of our ranking of 84th in total defense.
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Now I feel like a dukie
loophole54
Water Boy
Water Boy

Much as I want to believe the officials got it wrong, I don't see a rule stating that after a completed forward pass beyond the line of scrimmage, an incomplete backwards pass behind the line of scrimmage becomes a dead ball.
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

loophole54 wrote:Much as I want to believe the officials got it wrong, I don't see a rule stating that after a completed forward pass beyond the line of scrimmage, an incomplete backwards pass behind the line of scrimmage becomes a dead ball.
okay lets forget about the "back across the line of scrimmage" pass being legal... IT HIT THE GROUND... any pass that hits the ground is... say it with me... INCOMPLETE.... if the play stands as an incomplete pass the ball goes over on downs at the original LOS.
Later,
Hagar