Is Laquon Treadwell actually considering returning to Ole Miss for his senior year?

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Treadwell told ESPN his decision is still "in the air," but you should keep your expectations grounded.

Laquon Treadwell raised the collective hopes of the Ole Miss faithful on Thursday when he told ESPN's Mark Schlabach that his decision on going pro is "still in the air." The first-team All-SEC wideout and surefire NFL first rounder said he doesn't have "anything left to prove in college," but that he's incentivized to return for his senior season by a shot at winning the SEC and making it to the Playoff.

Treadwell told Schlabach that whatever his decision is, he's promised his coaches to wait until after the Sugar Bowl to announce it.

Even the most ardent realists among you are by this point conjuring up another year of Chad Kelly rainbows landing softly in Laquon's hands, defenders and records strewn behind him in various degrees of ruination as he gallops his way through the SEC history books and...

Stop it.

Look, I don't doubt Laquon's candor when he says he wants to get Ole Miss to a Playoff game. But as desperately as we fans would like to believe that decisions like this are influenced by selfless loyalty to the university we love, they are, in the end, a matter of cold economics. The fact of the matter is that the risks of coming back to play another season of free football simply outweigh the potential rewards -- after all, if anyone knows how abruptly a devastating injury can disrupt the best laid plans, it's Laquon.

It's not like there's much space for him to improve his stock, anyway. Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay both have him as the top pass catcher in the 2016 class and most mock drafts have him going to the wideout-needy St. Louis Rams, who would pick seventh if the season ended today. No receiver has gone more than three spots higher than that in the last eight years.

There was a time, of course, when the financial difference between No. 4 and No. 7 was pretty hefty. In 2010, the year before the NFL's current collective bargaining agreement was put into place, fourth overall pick Trent Williams signed for nearly $11 million more in guaranteed money than seventh overall Joe Haden. Last year, however, Amari Cooper made just $6 million more than Kevin White. Still a lot of money, sure, but it pales in comparison to what Treadwell stands to lose were he to get injured.

And that's assuming Laquon could significantly improve on his 1,082-yard, eight-touchdown junior campaign. He told Schlabach that he "might have put up twice the production" had he been healthy this season, but given the upcoming offensive turnover, there's reason to doubt whether Treadwell could do much better in 2016. We're not sure if Chad Kelly is coming back and even if he does, his ability to push the ball downfield will be limited by the loss of both starting tackles.

It's not like I'm trying to drive the guy off, mind you. (Quon, if you're reading this, forget everything I said up to this point -- you should totally come back, it makes perfect sense.) I'm simply saying that the opportunity to set himself financially for the rest of his life will almost certainly win out over whatever desires for another Playoff run he harbors.

http://www.redcuprebellion.com/2015/12/ ... t-ole-miss
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

My opinion is that yes he is considering it and no he will not return. He is the ultimate team player as evidenced by his blocking, but in the end loyalty and devotion to family will win out over loyalty and devotion to team. We are talking about several million dollars now versus possibly nothing next year if you get seriously hurt. There is not anything in the next year that is going to greatly increase his draft stock and an injury could make him unemployable.
55chevy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

It's not like he couldn't get a insurance policy against a career ending injury. It happens all the time. I know it's a pipe dream but I'd like for all of them to come back just to watch them. They had a shot at the West this year and I think could make another run if they would all come back. It's not going to happen I know .
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

They can get an insurance policy, but for these three young me there is no way that any policy they get would adequately make up for the amount of money they would give up. Additionally, they would have to pay for the insurance policy so if there are current financial struggles, not only would they give up the immediate boon of a large signing bonus, they would add yet another bill.
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

JustBlues wrote:They can get an insurance policy, but for these three young me there is no way that any policy they get would adequately make up for the amount of money they would give up. Additionally, they would have to pay for the insurance policy so if there are current financial struggles, not only would they give up the immediate boon of a large signing bonus, they would add yet another bill.

Correct... The fact that he of all people would entertain it after his injury last year says a lot about him... This guy and Engram are the ultimate team guys, which is refreshing because they play Diva positions... He has been one of my favorite guys to watch, and a great ambassador for the university.. There is no way he comes back. An insurance claim is a drop in the bucket compared to his earning potential in the league..
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

His blocking tells you a lot about his dedication to the team.
umrebel96
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

He can get an insurance policy but he can't ever get back the minimum $3 million he would make next year, and a policy doesn't protect his body from another year of wear and tear. One year doesn't sound like much, but it can be the difference between getting or not getting one more contract at the end of his career.

He will go, and best of luck to him.
fenderman
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Unless he can show he can be even better than he is now, I doubt it
fenderman
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

BUT considering how fun it was at Ole MIss, I would do another year for sure
Rebel PT2
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

When I watch him stroll down the Walk of Champions, I see a young man who loves the college atmosphere. He readily is searching out the young kids and always is full of smiles. He genuinely appears to be an awesome kid with high integrity. As a father, and watching his interaction with the kids, I build my opinion. Often I see young men who gravitate to the "knock out" young ladies or "elite" appearing adults. I can't say how I would respond if placed in their shoes. That being said, he can't turn down the money he will be rewarded with in the coming months.
"I'm not an athlete. I'm a professional baseball player."
-John Kruk
CrossroadsReb
Scout Team
Scout Team

Considering that Robert Nkemdiche has probably created some serious character / maturity questions among NFL scouts, would it benefit him to return for his Senior year?
"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!"
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

CrossroadsReb wrote:Considering that Robert Nkemdiche has probably created some serious character / maturity questions among NFL scouts, would it benefit him to return for his Senior year?

0% chance...
fenderman
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

At this point both the brothers seem to be train wreck and need about 3 months in a rehab
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

When treadwell is done with his hall of fame pro career I sure would like to see him come back as a coach. Good things happen when he is near.