Conference Realignment & The SEC

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

carlosphat
Water Boy
Water Boy

This article is kinda long, but a pretty interesting read. The writer says he works in media and that TV is going to demand a lot of changes as it puts more money into college football including 4 16-team major conferences and an 8-team playoff. It also predicts that some current P5 schools will end up in G5 conferences and vice versa, based mostly on the size of the television markets they play in. Has some interesting predictions on who might join and leave the SEC.

http://www.thechaosindex.com/cest-la-tv ... u-realize/
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

I don't want to live to see any of this.
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Just click bait designed to get people worked up. The SEC is not going to abandon long-term members.
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

JustBlues wrote:Just click bait designed to get people worked up. The SEC is not going to abandon long-term members.
I agree, however I can see NC/Clemson OR Oklahoma/Texas getting in the SEC if push comes to shove against the Media money hogs. As long as that SEC passion stays up there for football we will still get a payday from ESPN. Bet on that.
Later,
Hagar
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I doubt we would get anybody from the acc. Exit costs and they signed their tv rights to the acc conference. I can see two big 12 coming. Oklahoma for football and Kansas for basketball. Would have a tv rating for Kansas Kentucky home and home similar to duke NC.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Agree, be hard with the ACC having such high exit fees. I don't think the big 12 survives as is. Other conferences will probably raid it.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
GtownRebel
All American
All American

Hagar wrote:
JustBlues wrote:Just click bait designed to get people worked up. The SEC is not going to abandon long-term members.
I agree, however I can see NC/Clemson OR Oklahoma/Texas getting in the SEC if push comes to shove against the Media money hogs. As long as that SEC passion stays up there for football we will still get a payday from ESPN. Bet on that.
Texas will not be in the SEC. They were offered a chance and turned their nose up at it because they were too "good" to play in the SEC. Pac-12 is more their style I hear.
GeorgiaREB
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

Im a Clemson fan and think they would be a natural fit but I dont think that the SEC would go after a school unless it gets them into a TV market they are not already in so that rules out Clemson and Texas
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

GeorgiaREB wrote:Im a Clemson fan and think they would be a natural fit but I dont think that the SEC would go after a school unless it gets them into a TV market they are not already in so that rules out Clemson and Texas
while I think Clemson is a great school, I don't know for sure if Clemson is ready for the SEC just yet...The rest of the SEC (the old Guard if you will) has been built and was raised on a level of competition week in and week out and realizes the amount of money and time that goes into preparing for the level of competition that membership brings into the equation. Texas A&M is learning that now as well as is Mizzou...a prime example is Arkansas, at one time one of the powerhouses in the old southwest conference too... is Clemson ready to assume middle of the road status in the SEC? I seriously doubt that they would have any more success that any of these other teams... granted Clemson has been a powerhouse recently on the college football scene, but membership in the SEC is for life and getting into the SEC just because the money is now right doesn't justify allowing membership... ask yourself one question and look deep inside for the honest answer...Would Clemson have made the move 20 years ago?... everyone wants to move into a big house they didn't build when their own house is starting to show some wear. I don't mean to belittle Clemson in any way, however it isn't hard to follow the money either. The SEC isn't a town that welcomes newcomers well.
Later,
Hagar
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

i really can see adding two more teams. Acc ain't happening. Too many problems to negotiate and too much money never recovered. As for the 8 team playoff I think that is stupid. There is more than that now with conference championship games. ( I believe this is their way to be rid of championship games) Why give up our championship game for a playoff game our conference earns lots from then have to share the revenue with another conference or non power 5 conference? Our game already makes quite a bit more than anybody else's so at best we would lose money to appease some dumb media that already hates us. This doodoo that it isn't fair that the sec makes more money and has more fan interest so it should share with the rest is what got our country in the state it is in!!! If the other conferences want to level the playing field several things must happen.

1. Learn to tailgate the right way and get plenty of fans doing it.
2. Learn to market your team so you can sell more stuff.
3. Pay each team equally.
4. Travel.
5. Learn how to recruit quality. That doesn't mean just 5 stars that media has labeled somebody. That means learn what quality is and does it fit your system.
6. Win. Win on tv. Win when people are watching so they will take notice of what you are doing!
7. Learn how to keep fan interest 24-7,365.