Look for Andy to step down at 3 this afternoon

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

He will resign effective at end of season. I am now officially a basketball couch potato.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

I like AK but it’s time. We have to move on from him if we expect to ever do any better.
jrhawki
Scout Team
Scout Team

Ok some have gotten what they wanted...Who is on the list to replace or would like to see????
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Hotty Toddy!!! It's a great day to be a Rebel!
Some Random Dude
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I quit reading after the article leads you to believe AK is getting paid peanuts. He has been middle of the road in the SEC coaching salaries. Very simple, win make more money.. Win bigger, make more money. Win huge, make huge money... I think the problem people run into with AK, is most like him as a guy and its hard to look at it like a bottom line business. I agree, at the Tad Pad, he had a very tough sell, but as soon as ground was broken on the Pavilion, recruiting should have been far easier. Where are we now? 2 years into a new arena. Some of you say there is no talent, who does that fall on? The job is the best it has been since he has been here, but the program is completely stale and it is time to move on.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

MageeRebel425 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:26 am
I quit reading after the article leads you to believe AK is getting paid peanuts. He has been middle of the road in the SEC coaching salaries. Very simple, win make more money.. Win bigger, make more money. Win huge, make huge money... I think the problem people run into with AK, is most like him as a guy and its hard to look at it like a bottom line business. I agree, at the Tad Pad, he had a very tough sell, but as soon as ground was broken on the Pavilion, recruiting should have been far easier. Where are we now? 2 years into a new arena. Some of you say there is no talent, who does that fall on? The job is the best it has been since he has been here, but the program is completely stale and it is time to move on.
Andy's salary is next to last in the SEC, not middle of road. The assistant pay pool is dead last in the SEC. Armstrong left for LSU because our assistants had not been given a raise for 3 years. He is credited for bringing in LSU's top 2 freshmen this past year. Andy only had one year to recruit to the Pavilion, with the administration's support, and he brought in the 16th rated class in a the country. vitter blew that one up. Of the 2 signees that left after vitter's brain fart, one recently had 5 threes in one game, and the other has averaged 20 points and 9 rebounds a game recently. Both have been starting for their clubs during the season. Last year's class was done with Andy having the albatross around his neck, having recruits being told Andy wouldn't be here for their full careers. Now let's see how many of our signees go elsewhere, and how many players on our team transfer. Pretty sure Surrell Smith will go elsewhere, and he sounds like he'll be a really good one. Through our first 11 seasons, Andy had a losing record for one game. And that's coming here after 4 straight losing seasons. Let's see if our new coach can say the same.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Also, u are saying win and more money. Since AK got here, only Ky. and Fla. have more wins than we do, yet he's paid next to last, and assistants are last in pay. Sounds like Andy is giving us more than we're paying him and his staff. But don't let facts get in the way of a good hate. Plus, unless we do something about the support we give the program, as in donors doing what needs to be done to get top recruits, then.....
RebnPhilly
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

And since AK has been our coach, only 3 SEC teams have been to the NCAA tournament fewer times than Ole Miss. And all 3 of these teams have made coaching changes to improve themselves. Auburn & South Carolina quite successfully and Alabama is very improved. Those are the comparisons I care about, not whether AK is the best coach Ole Miss has ever had, which by the way he is. But that means *beep* to me.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

And nobody else in the SEC had the obstacles AK had with our lack of support to the program. And we'll never know what AK could've done with just a little support. He wasn't given that luxury. The one year he had that support, he knocked the ball out of the park in recruiting. But that was the only year Andy was given.
RebnPhilly
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I’ve said before that Ole Miss has not supported men’s basketball which includes having an average at best head coach. Now with Ole Miss’s commitment to basketball with a new arena, we need a new coach, one that can implement some resemblance to an offensive scheme.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

U say he's average, that's just your opinion. I think u could be wrong. We don't know what he could do with support. Like I said, he recruited the 16th best class in the country with the only year he had any support to go with the Pavilion. He very well could have kept bringing in top talent to the program, and that would've meant more victories. He's done what he's accomplished with jc's, transfers and foreign players. Who knows what he could accomplish with 4* players. This has been my complaint all along. Never very felt like he had a fair hand to play with. And vitter made sure he didn't get more than one year. U nor I know what he could do with better players, since we usually have less talent than most SEC teams. Would have like to see, and he earned the right to see, what he could have done with the Pavilion. But thanks to vitter, we'll never know. Look for our program to take a down turn.
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

rebeljim wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:38 pm U say he's average, that's just your opinion. I think u could be wrong. We don't know what he could do with support. Like I said, he recruited the 16th best class in the country with the only year he had any support to go with the Pavilion. He very well could have kept bringing in top talent to the program, and that would've meant more victories. He's done what he's accomplished with jc's, transfers and foreign players. Who knows what he could accomplish with 4* players. This has been my complaint all along. Never very felt like he had a fair hand to play with. And vitter made sure he didn't get more than one year. U nor I know what he could do with better players, since we usually have less talent than most SEC teams. Would have like to see, and he earned the right to see, what he could have done with the Pavilion. But thanks to vitter, we'll never know. Look for our program to take a down turn.
What makes you so sure it will take a downturn without even knowing who the next hire is? Do you really think AK is the best we can do? I’m sorry but you have really low expectations if you believe that. I believe we can pull in someone that can take us to the next level. I’m not saying we can be the second coming of Kentucky. But, I do believe we can reach the tourney every 2-3 years with the right hire. That’s all most fans want.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

WildRebel wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:44 pm
rebeljim wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:38 pm U say he's average, that's just your opinion. I think u could be wrong. We don't know what he could do with support. Like I said, he recruited the 16th best class in the country with the only year he had any support to go with the Pavilion. He very well could have kept bringing in top talent to the program, and that would've meant more victories. He's done what he's accomplished with jc's, transfers and foreign players. Who knows what he could accomplish with 4* players. This has been my complaint all along. Never very felt like he had a fair hand to play with. And vitter made sure he didn't get more than one year. U nor I know what he could do with better players, since we usually have less talent than most SEC teams. Would have like to see, and he earned the right to see, what he could have done with the Pavilion. But thanks to vitter, we'll never know. Look for our program to take a down turn.
What makes you so sure it will take a downturn without even knowing who the next hire is? Do you really think AK is the best we can do? I’m sorry but you have really low expectations if you believe that. I believe we can pull in someone that can take us to the next level. I’m not saying we can be the second coming of Kentucky. But, I do believe we can reach the tourney every 2-3 years with the right hire. That’s all most fans want.
It's my opinion, I do believe I have that right. I expect us to lose Surrell Smith, doubt he comes here now. Think he is going to be very good. May lose other signees. Also expect to see some already on the team to transfer. And even though most on here think AK wasn't very good, we only had a losing record for one game in 11 years. We started 0-1 a few years back, that's the only time we were below .500. I'd bet anyone on here the next coach won't do that, even with the support Andy never got. All these years, that's been my ONLY complaint, he never had a chance to coach with the support it takes to produce a winner. Winning basketball at Ole Miss is very hard. The Pavilion will help a lot, but until our donors decide they want to do what it takes to win in college basketball, gonna be tough. The Pavilion alone won't bring us winnng basketball. I also think AK will take his new team to the dance before we go again.
rebelbear
Head Coach
Head Coach

rebeljim wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:56 pm Also, u are saying win and more money. Since AK got here, only Ky. and Fla. have more wins than we do, yet he's paid next to last, and assistants are last in pay. Sounds like Andy is giving us more than we're paying him and his staff. But don't let facts get in the way of a good hate. Plus, unless we do something about the support we give the program, as in donors doing what needs to be done to get top recruits, then.....
Dam Jim, it's time to grow up. There's an argument for keeping AK sure. 20 win seasons and everything (whatever that's worth). But don't try to act like there's not a d*** good argument for moving on. Whatever side you fall on, it's enough with the "AK hate" BS. Nobody on here has ever posted anything resembling hatred towards Andy Kennedy. I keep hearing arguments about what great things AK has done with the program and what a top notch coach he is, considering he is at poor little Ole Miss with *beep* facilities and *beep* pay. Well, funny that NOT ONE DECENT PROGRAM HAS OFFERED HIM A JOB. If they have, why has he stayed at poor little Ole Miss all this time with his *beep* facilities and *beep* pay? Seems like the schools whose administrations actually support basketball (ours clearly don't if you didn't know) would have snatched up a coach who could take a bottom feeder like OM and win TWENTY GAMES a year. Unfortunately for all involved, that didn't happen.