LSU game thread

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

carl winslow
3rd String
3rd String

MageeRebel425 wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:57 pm
carl winslow wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:48 pm Metcalf and Brown may be back next year if this continues. Why we don’t run Phillips more early is just stupid.
Not a chance... They are both still 1st rounders..
Don’t see it tonight. Didn’t see it against Bama either.
carl winslow
3rd String
3rd String

carl winslow wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:48 pm Metcalf and Brown may be back next year if this continues. Why we don’t run Phillips more early is just stupid.
Just don’t see it after this game and Bama. They played real DB’s and didn’t make the impact they should. Too many dropped balls.
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

carl winslow wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:19 pm
Just don’t see it after this game and Bama. They played real DB’s and didn’t make the impact they should. Too many dropped balls.
They are playing a real defense.. This scheme doesn't work against real coordinators..
rebelbear
Head Coach
Head Coach

Well, here’s to 0-8 in the SEC...the staff has lost this team. I’m having flashbacks of 2011.
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebelbear wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:47 pm Well, here’s to 0-8 in the SEC...the staff has lost this team. I’m having flashbacks of 2011.
Thought the same earlier.. 17 penalties 167 yards.... This is the most undisciplined Ole Miss team I have ever seen.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

This program is an embarrassment to decently run programs. Vitter all the way to the ball boy need to go. But with Vitter not leaving until the end of next year, doubt many changes are made. And we get to watch Luke run up and down the sidelines with that wild look in his eyes, still trying to figure out when to call a timeout, and when not to.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I’m gonna be too old to know who is playing before this team can be good again.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

The announcers were making fun if our team last night. I think most Rebels finally see Luke isn't the answer.
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I see one more win left
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

We are in a time where you are supposed to blame something for any misfortune incurred. I blame the shark.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

bbqit wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:43 am We are in a time where you are supposed to blame something for any misfortune incurred. I blame the shark.
I thought it was always the butler that did it. Blame him.
carl winslow
3rd String
3rd String

I’m ready to hire Freeze back and accept the fact that he’s going to call a bunch of hookers.
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

carl winslow wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:59 am I’m ready to hire Freeze back and accept the fact that he’s going to call a bunch of hookers.
I don’t know any to supply but I will be glad to call for him.
GtownRebel
All American
All American

rebeljim wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:24 am The announcers were making fun if our team last night. I think most Rebels finally see Luke isn't the answer.
I posted this on another site and thought it might give you my thoughts about this situation. Jim is on that site too.

I am not happy at how this team is being coached. I think once seeing the first play of each game - Bama and LSU - I wasn't surprised to see Longo go for the same first play. LSU was waiting for it because that is what HS coaches do - repeat a play if it worked against a better team. College coaches vary the play and make adjustments to throw off the defense. Longo has no *beep* of plays, but he has one of the best WR corps in college football, so he has no excuse except himself. In this game though the Receivers did not help by catching easy passes to them in the first quarter and it played on the QB's mind. Longo needs to gain some wisdom and admit he needs help. I don't think he understands as much as everyone thinks he does. Freeze wanted a "yes" man and now he is in the position that he runs the offense and not the HC. I don't think he has the capability of dissecting a defense and attacking its weakness and thus, I don't think he is that good of a coach.

The defense has no coaching leadership. I know McGriff is a new DC and I know he is passionate about winning. I don't think his assistants have the same passion. I know our defense is VERY young and are learning about the SEC through baptism by fire so far in every game. Many of the players were in HS last year so they are having to learn quickly. Some can and some can't. I don't see any leadership on the defensive side in the coaching ranks, i.e., when LSU went for it on 4th down with one yard to go, apparently no coach was yelling for the DL to not take any head motion or hard count movement and not jump off sides. That was so apparent in watching it over and over. I think we actually have a lot of talent of the defense but no coaching equals a disaster and this we have seen in the first 5 games - even against lesser teams. It is time to clean house on that side of the ball. I don't see much except maybe DL coaching, but I explained above that that coach isn't on top of his game either.

Special teams seems like the only decent area for now...not world better at all, but not costing us on every play. The first two areas are costing the game or at least not being competitive.

The HC is a disappointment really. I look at him on TV since I can't get to the games in person and he doesn't act like a HC. He doesn't dress the part, talk to the assistants about *beep*-ups on the field, coach kids as they come off the field...he reminds me of a deer in the headlights and lost. I feel for Matt as I like him and always have. But he was placed in a no-win situation and hamstrung with NCAA sanctions before he took the job. He needs help. Maybe he is getting that or maybe he is too proud to ask for it...I don't know. But I do know he is not performing the job like any HC I have ever seen and that is on the administration and not Matt for this happening. The Administration needs to step in and offer to assist him in getting some outside help in this area - OJT as we call it. This is a Big Money Sport and I will guess that next year there will be many openings for season tickets as people will use their entertainment dollars to watch something that gives them more pleasure than watching Ole Miss not be competitive in a sport that many of us love today.

This is just observations from watching through the Boob-Tube and listening to the play by play announcers dissect our inability to be competitive and doing stupid things like 17 penalties for 147 yards, which is a head-shaker for me. And as you say Don, the most critical part of football is blocking and tackling and we are poor in that category. We have to improve or it will be painful the rest of football season for Ole Miss and the fans and the players.

Your comments are welcomed.
fenderman
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Outcoached by the Cookie Monster. But hey Luke loves Ole Miss