Any fine PDF converter recommendations?

Computer related discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

Aly20
Water Boy
Water Boy

Hello,

I need a software tool for Windows that works as a PDF printer driver, I mean to stay among the real printers and to create PDF files from what I print to it ( must work with Excel, PowerPoint ).. I tried a few free ones but they all have some nags or annoying limitations, a commercial product would be acceptable as long as is not very expensive ( under $100 )... Any suggestions?
RushB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Primo PDF works well, and it's free.

http://www.primopdf.com

Later,
RushB
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan
Aly20
Water Boy
Water Boy

Hello and thank you for the reply.

I haven't tried Primo PDF. I'll take a look at it. I also found PDF Factory Pro ( www.pdffactory.com ) and PDF Writer Pro ( http://www.amicutilities.com/pdf-writer ) which look very good.. the first one looks like a very popular software and the other has very good compression for the same quality.. I'll take them all for a spin and see which one is better.

Thank you again!
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

Aly20 wrote:Hello and thank you for the reply.

I haven't tried Primo PDF. I'll take a look at it. I also found PDF Factory Pro ( www.pdffactory.com ) and PDF Writer Pro ( http://www.amicutilities.com/pdf-writer ) which look very good.. the first one looks like a very popular software and the other has very good compression for the same quality.. I'll take them all for a spin and see which one is better.

Thank you again!
One of the free PDF creators (I think PDF Factory) creates PDFs, but Adobe Reader (the most popular reader program) SOMETIMES has a problem opening the files. I know PDF processing software has a problem. At the University we take PDFs and run them through a program that reads text out of it. One department tried using a free one (still think it was PDF Factory) and it kept failing every time.

That's just something to keep in mind. Whatever you're planning on doing with it, I would strongly recommend testing it out throughly before using it for important applications.
GO REBELS!!!
USCrebel
2nd String
2nd String

Poor B@st@rds! This is a standard part of the Mac OS. No add-on needed.
It's not insane to suggest that the Rebels have the best defensive line in college football.
----- Foxsports power ranking OM at #14
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

USCrebel wrote:Poor B@st@rds! This is a standard part of the Mac OS. No add-on needed.
Yeah, but unfortunately Mac OS won't do much else :lol:

J/K. Actually, Mac did something that M$ needs to do. Mac realized that Mac OS was a horrible excuse for a OS and they re-engineered it to run a modified version of BSD, thus improving stability and enhancing performance and significantly lowering processing time on all applications.

If Microsoft did that with Windows, they would actually own the market on all new computers and I think several Mac folks might move over too.

Me personally, I like Linux.
GO REBELS!!!
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

oxfordrebel wrote:
USCrebel wrote:Poor B@st@rds! This is a standard part of the Mac OS. No add-on needed.

J/K. Actually, Mac did something that M$ needs to do. Mac realized that Mac OS was a horrible excuse for a OS and they re-engineered it to run a modified version of BSD, thus improving stability and enhancing performance and significantly lowering processing time on all applications.

If Microsoft did that with Windows, they would actually own the market on all new computers and I think several Mac folks might move over too.

My kinda guy. What's your flavor?

I justed installed openSuse 10.2 to give it a whirl. Been running Ubuntu for a little over a year or so. Fedora before that. Don't quite have the know how to fool with Debian yet.

My only gripe with Linux, is printer support and the fact that Flash is so behind in releasing the new version.
Some Random Dude
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

lewindha wrote:
oxfordrebel wrote:

I justed installed openSuse 10.2 to give it a whirl. Been running Ubuntu for a little over a year or so. Fedora before that. Don't quite have the know how to fool with Debian yet.

My only gripe with Linux, is printer support and the fact that Flash is so behind in releasing the new version.
I like Gentoo personally, but I've messed with Redhat (before the Fedora project) and Debian along with some other smaller distros, but nothing as extensively as Gentoo. I've heard a lot about Ubuntu, but I haven't looked at it much yet.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to do everything I'd like to, but I get around. My biggest gripe is driver installation/support, especially printer (as you said) and WiFi.

I don't remember, are you still a student here? If so, I would highly recommend Dr. Maginnis' CSCI 323 class (Linux System Administration) if you end up needing 3 hours. I took it my Sr. year. It's very useful and his testing policy is easy. Plus, and I'm not sure if it's still this way, when we were finished, everyone who made an 85 or higher in the class received their Linux and GNU Certified Professional certification.

At the very least, check out his website for the class (http://pix.cs.olemiss.edu/csci323/). He has all his notes for the class on there. The text for the book was the "Running Linux" book from O'Reilly. Considering that Dr. Maginnis was a major contributor/author for the book, that's not surprising. If you want to pick up some of the basics on Linux, check out his site and that book.
GO REBELS!!!
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

oxfordrebel wrote:
lewindha wrote:
oxfordrebel wrote: Yeah, but unfortunately Mac OS won't do much else :lol:

I like Gentoo personally, but I've messed with Redhat (before the Fedora project) and Debian along with some other smaller distros, but nothing as extensively as Gentoo. I've heard a lot about Ubuntu, but I haven't looked at it much yet.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to do everything I'd like to, but I get around. My biggest gripe is driver installation/support, especially printer (as you said) and WiFi.

I don't remember, are you still a student here? If so, I would highly recommend Dr. Maginnis' CSCI 323 class (Linux System Administration) if you end up needing 3 hours. I took it my Sr. year. It's very useful and his testing policy is easy. Plus, and I'm not sure if it's still this way, when we were finished, everyone who made an 85 or higher in the class received their Linux and GNU Certified Professional certification.

At the very least, check out his website for the class (http://pix.cs.olemiss.edu/csci323/). He has all his notes for the class on there. The text for the book was the "Running Linux" book from O'Reilly. Considering that Dr. Maginnis was a major contributor/author for the book, that's not surprising. If you want to pick up some of the basics on Linux, check out his site and that book.
Yeah, I've heard good things about Gentoo. At my last job in Memphis, we were speaking with a company in the UK about their software that managed client portfolios. It was a Java web-app and they used Gentoo as their server.

Ubuntu is just easy, which is why I liked it. There was a lot of hype about openSuse 10.2, so I installed it for the heck of it. Impressed so far.

And, yes, I took Dr. Maginnis' class on Linux and received the certificate. I actually managed the Linux lab for him a couple of times. He and Dr. Wilkins were my two favorites while I was in school.
Some Random Dude
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

lewindha wrote:Yeah, I've heard good things about Gentoo. At my last job in Memphis, we were speaking with a company in the UK about their software that managed client portfolios. It was a Java web-app and they used Gentoo as their server.

Ubuntu is just easy, which is why I liked it. There was a lot of hype about openSuse 10.2, so I installed it for the heck of it. Impressed so far.

And, yes, I took Dr. Maginnis' class on Linux and received the certificate. I actually managed the Linux lab for him a couple of times. He and Dr. Wilkins were my two favorites while I was in school.
Well then, you know how good Dr. Maginnis is. I was a MIS major, so I didn't have a class under all the CS faculty. I never had Dr. Wilkins, although everyone I've talked to who has had her has said she is wonderful. I think my favorite was Dr. Schoenly who retired in December a year ago. I had him for 111 and 112. He was awesome.

I've got a computer to mess with that I was just about to install Gentoo on. I think I might try out Ubuntu for a little while first to see what the hype is. It is getting serious hype right now in the Linux community. I hope it isn't like Redhat/Fedora. Their distros were always so bloated and took up a lot of space with programs that I would never use. That's why I went to Gentoo. It only installs what you want installed, and of course any packages required for what you want. But I'm going to give Ubuntu a try.
GO REBELS!!!
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

oxfordrebel wrote:
lewindha wrote:Yeah, I've heard good things about Gentoo. At my last job in Memphis, we were speaking with a company in the UK about their software that managed client portfolios. It was a Java web-app and they used Gentoo as their server.

Well then, you know how good Dr. Maginnis is. I was a MIS major, so I didn't have a class under all the CS faculty. I never had Dr. Wilkins, although everyone I've talked to who has had her has said she is wonderful. I think my favorite was Dr. Schoenly who retired in December a year ago. I had him for 111 and 112. He was awesome.

I've got a computer to mess with that I was just about to install Gentoo on. I think I might try out Ubuntu for a little while first to see what the hype is. It is getting serious hype right now in the Linux community. I hope it isn't like Redhat/Fedora. Their distros were always so bloated and took up a lot of space with programs that I would never use. That's why I went to Gentoo. It only installs what you want installed, and of course any packages required for what you want. But I'm going to give Ubuntu a try.
That's one of the good things about Ubuntu. The install disk is a single CD. It installs sort of a bare minimum system and then once you get it up and running, you have Synaptic to add different packages. Also has an 'Add/Remove Programs' menu item that is helpful for desktop apps.

I liked Dr. Schoenly also. Sorry to see him go, but I had heard while I was still there that he was counting down the days until he could retire. He always liked just picking a topic and teaching 'Special Topics' course on the subject. A lot of times, he had as much knowledge about the subject as the students in the class. I think he used those classes to learn also. Pretty cool.
Some Random Dude
00atmm
Water Boy
Water Boy

i used PDF Writer Pro. it can Create PDFs from any application, Microsoft Word, Excel, Auto-Cad, PowerPoint, etc. Merge documents to single PDFs!
Print using most standard printers and most common paper sizes.
all the features you want. you can try:
http://www.sharewarecheap.com/PDF-Write ... _2910.html
snow099
Water Boy
Water Boy

I introduce one software named
PowerPoint Converter which can help you finish almost formats conversion, please have a try
MuseOfLife
Water Boy
Water Boy

I prefer to utilize this PDF Creator. It is freeware and produces fine PDFs.
steven605
Water Boy
Water Boy

PowerPoint Converter is a totally free software, which enables you to convert all kinds of powerpoint presentations like: PPT, PPTX, PPTM, PPS, PPSX, POT, POTX, PTOM into popular media profiles, for instance: MP4, AVI, MOV, RMVB, FLV, TS, VOB, MPG, DAT, WMV, ASF, MKV, DV, DPG, 3GP, 3G2.