Notes from the ABCA convention last week

Baseball Related Discussions

Moderators: oxfordrebel, Rebel Security

oxfordrebel
All American
All American

The American Baseball Coaches Association convention was last week and Baseball America was there to cover some of it. Here's an interesting article about the Division I coaches' meeting.

Fur Doesn’t Fly In Philly

Just a recap of the really important stuff at the bottom of the article:

1. The NCAA will vote on a proposal to override the 25% scholarship minimum rule. Likely will not pass since the 25% scholarship minimum rule was passed unanimously.

2. Rosenblatt Stadium in Omaha will probably be replaced, not repaired. This brings up the question of if Omaha will continue to host the CWS. The NCAA wishes to stay in Omaha and the city evidently does too, so I believe they probably will work it out.

3. The NCAA is vowing to monitor the activities of pro agents more in the college ranks. Perhaps they will.

4. One of the most significant rule changes (and the point in this article I find the most interesting) is that there will be a crackdown on batters who are leaning in to get hit. Until a year or two ago a batter had to make an effort to get out of the way of a pitch and if he didn't, he was called back to the plate. Either last year or this year the rule was changed slightly, but I don't remember the exact rule. The new rule is that if a ball is coming at a batter he does not have to attempt to get out of the way at all if he wants to take the free trip, but he can NOT lean into the pitch. The umps are going to be cracking down on batters who lean in to get hit. You don't see it very often, but it does happen on occasion and it's nice to know they're not going to get away with it. It's also to protect the batter from trying to get hit only to actually get hurt.
GO REBELS!!!
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

1 and 3 would do wonders for the sport. Like you said increasing schollies is probably a pipe dream, but at least they are talking about it. Monitoring agents is a big problem, I hope they are able to get a handle on it, but I have my doubts.

For number 4, it use to be if a batter was caught leaning into a pitch (especially if he was encroaching the plate), the next pitch or the next time he came to plate he had one aimed at his earhole. There was nothing wrong with leaning into a pitch as long as you were willing to face the consequences. However, I doubt that is the way it's done now. So it's probably good if the umps are enforcing the spirit of the rule.
Randy
rrlynch
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I was in Philly and met plenty of coaches from many schools. I met some members of the Southern Miss staff and when I mentioned my Ole Miss affiliation they kept talking about how tight of a ship Bianco runs. We're definitely respected nationally, that's for sure.
Don't try to teach a pig to sing. They'll call you silly names and get all bitter about head coach.
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

rrlynch wrote:I was in Philly and met plenty of coaches from many schools. I met some members of the Southern Miss staff and when I mentioned my Ole Miss affiliation they kept talking about how tight of a ship Bianco runs. We're definitely respected nationally, that's for sure.
That's so awesome! I really wish I could have been there. And Ole Miss has pretty much become the best team never to be in Omaha. LOL But all that changes this year. This is the year for a CWS run!
GO REBELS!!!
OMNOB
2nd String
2nd String

oxfordrebel wrote:
rrlynch wrote:I was in Philly and met plenty of coaches from many schools. I met some members of the Southern Miss staff and when I mentioned my Ole Miss affiliation they kept talking about how tight of a ship Bianco runs. We're definitely respected nationally, that's for sure.
That's so awesome! I really wish I could have been there. And Ole Miss has pretty much become the best team never to be in Omaha. LOL But all that changes this year. This is the year for a CWS run!
I have to believe you're right OxReb! I can't wait to see this team in Nebraska!
"America is the New York Yankees of countries,powerful and respected until the year 2000"-Homer Simpson
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

With regard to #2, why isn't there a rotating CWS venue? I know, I don't know crap about the inner workings of NCAABB but I was just wondering. I mean, NCAA should require you to have minimum seating capacity and a well appointed facility to even be on the list, then they rotate the WS to each site yearly. And when another venue upgrades enough or builds a new stadium to their standards, the committee votes on adding it in the mix. Is this a bad idea? Like I said, I don't know much about the behind the scenes stuff, hence my query.
L. S. WHO?
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

oxpatchreb wrote:With regard to #2, why isn't there a rotating CWS venue? I know, I don't know crap about the inner workings of NCAABB but I was just wondering. I mean, NCAA should require you to have minimum seating capacity and a well appointed facility to even be on the list, then they rotate the WS to each site yearly. And when another venue upgrades enough or builds a new stadium to their standards, the committee votes on adding it in the mix. Is this a bad idea? Like I said, I don't know much about the behind the scenes stuff, hence my query.
IMO, there are three things that keeps the CWS in Omaha,

Tradition
Tradition
Tradition

I believe the first CWS was held in the early 50's, even though there has been talk from time to time to move it, I don't believe it has ever had any serious consideration.

If I am not mistaken, I believe Rosenblatt upgraded pretty significantly a few year ago out of fear that moving it would become a reality.
Randy
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

rewalters wrote:
oxpatchreb wrote:With regard to #2, why isn't there a rotating CWS venue? I know, I don't know crap about the inner workings of NCAABB but I was just wondering. I mean, NCAA should require you to have minimum seating capacity and a well appointed facility to even be on the list, then they rotate the WS to each site yearly. And when another venue upgrades enough or builds a new stadium to their standards, the committee votes on adding it in the mix. Is this a bad idea? Like I said, I don't know much about the behind the scenes stuff, hence my query.

Tradition
Tradition
Tradition

I believe the first CWS was held in the early 50's, even though there has been talk from time to time to move it, I don't believe it has ever had any serious consideration.

If I am not mistaken, I believe Rosenblatt upgraded pretty significantly a few year ago out of fear that moving it would become a reality.
That's kind of what I figured. But I didn't know if there was something more to the story. Believe me, I'm as rooted in tradition and slow change as anyone, but maybe it's b/c I live so far away that I'd like to see the Basketball and Baseball teams around my neck of the woods in the "post season".
L. S. WHO?
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

oxpatchreb wrote:
rewalters wrote:

Tradition
Tradition
Tradition

That's kind of what I figured. But I didn't know if there was something more to the story. Believe me, I'm as rooted in tradition and slow change as anyone, but maybe it's b/c I live so far away that I'd like to see the Basketball and Baseball teams around my neck of the woods in the "post season".
The CWS is only about half of the actual baseball "post season". Post season starts with the Regionals then proceeds to the Super Regionals. If you're not familiar with NCAABB, here's the post season over view.

You start with a field of 64 teams in the tourney. To be one of the 64 out of the total 290-ish Division I teams is pretty impressive in itself.

Of those 64 teams, the selection committee picks 16 of those to be Regionals host sites. Ole Miss has held one of those spots each of the last 4 years.

The 64 teams are divided among the 16 Regional sites, 4 teams to each site. Each Regional's teams are then seeded 1-4. Normally the #1 seeded team is the host team, but not always. Sometimes the host team is seeded #2. I don't remember a host team being seeded #3 or #4, but I suppose it could happen, but probably wouldn't ever. Ole Miss has always been #1 in their Regional when hosting. The 4 teams at each site then play a double-elimination tourney the first weekend in June. It starts on Friday afternoon and wraps up sometime on Sunday afternoon/evening.

At the end of the Regionals you have weeded the field of 64 down to 16. Not bad for 3 days work. Remember I said that the 16 host sites are selected by the selection committee. When they select those 16 host sites they designate 8 of them (the best eight teams in the country in their opinion) as what's called "National Seeds". Each of those national seeds are matched up with a non-national seed host site. Ole Miss has been chosen as a national seed 1 time, back in 2005. If a national seed wins the Regional they are hosting, they automatically get to host the Super Regional they will play in the second weekend in June. Their opponent will be the winner of the regional hosted by the non-national seed they were originally paired with. Those two teams will play a best of 3 series on either Friday, Saturday, and Sunday; or on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.

IF a national seed does NOT win the Regional that they hosted, but the non-national seed they're paired with DOES win the Regional that they hosted, then the non-national seed automatically gets to host the Super Regional. This happened for Ole Miss in 2006. Nebraska was a national seed and they were paired with Ole Miss. Ole Miss won the Oxford Regional; however Miami won the Lincoln, NE Regional. Since Nebraska lost, Ole Miss got to host the SR, but lost in Oxford to Miami.

If both the national seed AND the non-national seed that are paired together lose their Regionals...I don't know what happens. I THINK it goes back to the selection committee to determine which winning team gets to host the Super Regional. Seems like perhaps this happened last year? Just don't remember.

Anyway, the Super Regionals are played. At the end of that round you have 8 teams left. Those 8 teams meet in Omaha, NE to begin the CWS. They play double-elimination in two-4 team brackets until they end up with 2 teams remaining. Then those two teams (the winners of each bracket) meet up for a best of 3, winner-takes-all series.

It's quite elegant the way it's done. The double-elimination setup really provides a little bit of a buffer to weed out the "hot" teams and get a more consistent team as your champ, but it doesn't always work.

And that is the college baseball post season in a nutshell. I started this all to say that if you want to see some college baseball in your area (New Orleans) then you're in luck. Tulane almost ALWAYS has a great team and they've hosted several Regionals. Lately they've not hosted like last year when they came to Ole Miss, but I believe they did host the year before that. Granted, you probably won't see Ole Miss in that field, but it's good college baseball anyway.
GO REBELS!!!
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Good breakdown!

I assumed he was referring to the final 8, but you are correct if you want the CWS experience, in my personal experience the Regional and definitely Super Regional are both just as exciting as Omaha.

Granted I have only been to Omaha twice (Both pre ’90), and my Regional and Super Regional attendance has spanned from the 80’s through the 00’s, but I still believe the experiences were very comparable.
Randy
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

oxfordrebel wrote:
And that is the college baseball post season in a nutshell. I started this all to say that if you want to see some college baseball in your area (New Orleans) then you're in luck. Tulane almost ALWAYS has a great team and they've hosted several Regionals. Lately they've not hosted like last year when they came to Ole Miss, but I believe they did host the year before that. Granted, you probably won't see Ole Miss in that field, but it's good college baseball anyway.
Great info OxReb, thanks. And yes, that's what I meant, seeing more Ole Miss in the post season. I love Tulane Baseball, dad is an Alum and took me to alot of games as a kid b/c we lived 2 blocks from the stadium. We still go to a few games a year. But I was specifically talking about the CWS itself. As in, once the SR's are over and we're down to the 8 team CWS field, why wouldn't they want to proudly showcase their product in a different venue every year instead of always having it in Omaha? Like Zephyr Field in NO. GREAT venue for baseball!!

I guess the consensus is that it's tradition. It's always been in Omaha and it'll be there forever. Which I can understand, being a traditional sports fan as well. Just poking around on a topic that I've often wondered about.
:)
L. S. WHO?
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

oxpatchreb wrote:
oxfordrebel wrote:
Great info OxReb, thanks. And yes, that's what I meant, seeing more Ole Miss in the post season. I love Tulane Baseball, dad is an Alum and took me to alot of games as a kid b/c we lived 2 blocks from the stadium. We still go to a few games a year. But I was specifically talking about the CWS itself. As in, once the SR's are over and we're down to the 8 team CWS field, why wouldn't they want to proudly showcase their product in a different venue every year instead of always having it in Omaha? Like Zephyr Field in NO. GREAT venue for baseball!!

I guess the consensus is that it's tradition. It's always been in Omaha and it'll be there forever. Which I can understand, being a traditional sports fan as well. Just poking around on a topic that I've often wondered about.
:)
Ah, well, didn't know where you were coming from. Cool about seeing Tulane as a kid! I have a memory or two of going to a couple of minor league games as a kid. Went to see the Arkansas Travelers once and the Memphis Chics once or twice long ago.

I have no clue why Omaha has remained rather than it being moved around. But Omaha is a good venue and, while I'm not positive, I'll go with tradition as well.

Part of me says that I'd like to see it moved around some (would be a good source of revenue when it's your year to host even if you're not in it!), but the biggest part of me says keep the tradition.
GO REBELS!!!