Polls - March 17

Baseball Related Discussions

Moderators: oxfordrebel, Rebel Security

oxfordrebel
All American
All American

Baseball America: Rebs slip again, but not too bad. Slide from #5 to #8. Still top 10 and this time they've got it about right. Not too high and not too low. This team really is about #8.

Collegiate Baseball - CB continues to disrespect Ole Miss as the Rebels take the plunge from #13 to #18. Then again Ricky Bowen did early PotW honors due to his efforts against Ole Miss on Sunday, so I'm sure that hurt us.

NCBWA and ESPN/USA Today have not released polls yet.
GO REBELS!!!
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

oxfordrebel wrote:Baseball America: Rebs slip again, but not too bad. Slide from #5 to #8. Still top 10 and this time they've got it about right. Not too high and not too low. This team really is about #8.

Collegiate Baseball - CB continues to disrespect Ole Miss as the Rebels take the plunge from #13 to #18. Then again Ricky Bowen did early PotW honors due to his efforts against Ole Miss on Sunday, so I'm sure that hurt us.

NCBWA and ESPN/USA Today have not released polls yet.
I like us at a top ten level. We're not consistent enough to be higher right now. But after a really solid run through the SEC with a couple sweeps and only 1 series loss (SC and UK are going to be tough series, if we lose one, it's expected), I'd like to end up in a top 5 position for a decent national seed.
L. S. WHO?
sportsdirector06
Water Boy
Water Boy

we are currently about one third of the way through the season with a 13-5 record

if the current trend continues, we'd be 39-15 with two games left to play

these numbers are promising, but we need a few sweeps and solid midweek play to continue to stay at the top for one of those 8 national seeds

i would wager that we'd have to lose 12 or less games to snag one of those top 8 unless other teams fall apart a little more than expected

then again, this is baseball and you never know what might happen
ole miss basketball is the reason i have heart problems at 22
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

sportsdirector06 wrote:we are currently about one third of the way through the season with a 13-5 record

these numbers are promising, but we need a few sweeps and solid midweek play to continue to stay at the top for one of those 8 national seeds

i would wager that we'd have to lose 12 or less games to snag one of those top 8 unless other teams fall apart a little more than expected

This is precisely why I don't like the thought of losing midweek games to sub-standard teams b/c the "pitcher has a great game". I understand that sometimes bad pitchers have great games, and I know that this Sunday was a great example of a guy being un-hittable. I also understand that every team we play will bring all the energy and attention they can muster to our games b/c we are a nationally ranked team. So assuming that happens another 4 or 5 times, that's at least a 10 loss season. And if we let another few get away from us like the other 4 losses we have so far, that's a total of 13-15 losses. We have to find a way to beat every single midweek team from here on out. Somebody in the SEC is going to take a series from us, and with our streaky hitting combined with poor defense, we COULD be swept by an underrated LSU team or SC or UK OTR. I'm just hoping that we can really, really put together a solid performance in conference. I want a couple sweeps, no series loses, and only 1 or 2 midweek drops the rest of the way out. But that's hoping. Here's to hoping!!! :azz:
L. S. WHO?
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

oxpatchreb wrote:
sportsdirector06 wrote:we are currently about one third of the way through the season with a 13-5 record

This is precisely why I don't like the thought of losing midweek games to sub-standard teams b/c the "pitcher has a great game". I understand that sometimes bad pitchers have great games, and I know that this Sunday was a great example of a guy being un-hittable. I also understand that every team we play will bring all the energy and attention they can muster to our games b/c we are a nationally ranked team. So assuming that happens another 4 or 5 times, that's at least a 10 loss season. And if we let another few get away from us like the other 4 losses we have so far, that's a total of 13-15 losses. We have to find a way to beat every single midweek team from here on out. Somebody in the SEC is going to take a series from us, and with our streaky hitting combined with poor defense, we COULD be swept by an underrated LSU team or SC or UK OTR. I'm just hoping that we can really, really put together a solid performance in conference. I want a couple sweeps, no series loses, and only 1 or 2 midweek drops the rest of the way out. But that's hoping. Here's to hoping!!! :azz:
I like it and I think you're right. Rebels need to win the ones they're suppose to win. I think they seep someone they're not suppose to (Vandy at home) and I think they drop a series they shouldn't (SC or UK away). Like you both said, it's the ones you're suppose to win that you have to take care of business in. Tonight against UCA. Tomorrow night against UALR. OTR against LSU. OTR against MSU.

Look at our schedule. SC, Vandy, UK, Arkansas. Those are the biggies that jump out at me. You have the pesky teams like Auburn, UGA, and Bama who never like to go away easy. You have the underrated teams like LSU and South Alabama, Southern Miss, Memphis, and Arkansas State (who would love nothing more than to sweep the Rebels like they used to do every year).

I tend to agree with the thought that you need 12 or fewer losses to get a national seed, ALTHOUGH the Rebels are enough of a national power now to possibly get a national seed with more losses just because of name and conference.

Last season's national seeds and losses entering the Regionals:

#1 Vanderbilt - 11 losses
#2 Rice - 12 losses
#3 North Carolina - 12 losses
#4 Texas - 15 losses
#5 Arizona State - 13 losses
#6 Florida State - 11 losses
#7 Arkansas - 19 losses
#8 San Diego - 16 losses

Average was 13/14 losses. How Arkansas made it in, I have no clue and I remember saying something about that one last year, but whatever. I think that's a case of having a name and playing in the SEC. Ole Miss could be as lucky this year, but I'd rather see us just take care of business in the regular season like Vandy and Florida State did last year.
GO REBELS!!!
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

Any update on polls after this 2-3 week? Are we still in top 25?

On another note, this would be the time to put together a 4-0 or 3-1 week.

Coming home to a LONG home stand against some tough teams (memphis just swept UAB, Vandy is good, can't look past USA and LSU will come here with ALOT of attitude), we HAVE GOT to get on track this week. We come back from this road trip with our tails between our legs from a 2-2 or 1-3 performance, and we are in VERY DEEP trouble against Mem and Vandy. Once our guys get it in their head that we are losing, it won't be pretty.

If ever we needed a sweep weekend, this is it against a VERY beatable Bama team.

To MB and the players,

YOU WANT PEOPLE TO CONSIDER YOU DANGEROUS!?!??!? YOU WANT PEOPLE TO FEAR PLAYING OLE MISS???? NOW IS THE TIME..... NOW!!!!!!
Show them that the beginning of the season is just early season issues. Get ANGRY at the plate(:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ), and get FOCUSED in the field. GET HOT AND STAY HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on Rebels, play with PRIDE!!!!!!!
L. S. WHO?