What a sad ending...

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

ekmjr1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I really think the UT loss, that we could have just as easily won, took the sails out of this team. We were immortal prior to that loss and then it just came unraveled. I think it took a big bite out of their confidence and we just never over came it.

Warren and the level of play of the whole team caught a lot of people off guard, but after the TN game, people weren't over looking us any longer. That coupled with a loss of confidence and some bad breaks started us down the wrong path and we just couldn't over come it.

We picked it up at the end of the season though when Huertas finally started hitting some buckets. Had we gotten past GA, we could have easily been the SEC champ! Heck, we beat GA by a large margin on their home court the week prior! I had a bad feeling when I found out we had to play them again so quickly, but that game could have gone our way just as easy as it went theirs.

This season's not over yet. We could go on to win the NIT with a break at VA TECH, so don't give up on us yet. An NIT tournament win, or even a single win in MSG would be a good catalyst to next years team!
RebelBond
Scout Team
Scout Team

The UT game hurt but the reason is Parnell got hurt and we really struggled until he returned.

RebelBond
www.bigfoamyhead.com

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and it annoys the pig.
- Paul Dickson
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

RebelBond wrote:The UT game hurt but the reason is Parnell got hurt and we really struggled until he returned.

RebelBond
This is the MAIN reason we fell apart. It forced the young players to take on too much of the responsibility of scoring and pressure of winning. They were not ready, and we fell apart completely. Not necessarily their fault b/c they're so young, but we should have handled it better, from coaches down the the youngest freshman.

Maybe that changes next season, maybe it doesn't. This off-season will be VERY telling.
L. S. WHO?
RebelBond
Scout Team
Scout Team

I agree with you, I think it was a combination of young coaches and players. I just hope they learn from it and get better to handle the adversity that comes along in the course of a complete season.

RebelBond
www.bigfoamyhead.com

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and it annoys the pig.
- Paul Dickson
done

We lost in conference because we didn't play defense or at times SMART offense. Now, Parnell's absence could have contributed to that, but good teams and good coaches make adjustments.

I think we will be smarter and a better coached team next year. AK is still learning to be a HC and we should have excellent point guard play next year, which I still think is absolutely crucial to being a winning program. As talented as Warren is, he is still young and had some bad stretches in some important games. I think those will dissipate as he matures and the kid from Idaho I am hoping will give us a one two punch and keep Warren fresh.

I think that this team played beneath its talent level once conference play started. I expect they will do much better next year. And we as fans will also be more cautious than to put too much credence in pre-conference play.
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

Rebchuck18 wrote:We lost in conference because we didn't play defense or at times SMART offense. Now, Parnell's absence could have contributed to that, but good teams and good coaches make adjustments.

I think we will be smarter and a better coached team next year. AK is still learning to be a HC and we should have excellent point guard play next year, which I still think is absolutely crucial to being a winning program. As talented as Warren is, he is still young and had some bad stretches in some important games. I think those will dissipate as he matures and the kid from Idaho I am hoping will give us a one two punch and keep Warren fresh.

I think that this team played beneath its talent level once conference play started. I expect they will do much better next year. And we as fans will also be more cautious than to put too much credence in pre-conference play.
I for one, will be MUCH more cautious. SUPPORTIVE, but much more cautious with myself. I'm not going to let myself get as wrapped up in it next year until it counts, SEC West, SECT, Dance. THEN I'll go ahead and get all fired up....
L. S. WHO?