Ole Miss Football: Offensive Ratings

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Ole Miss Football: Testing the Stars—Offensive Ratings by Recruiting Services...

'Regardless of if you believe in the star rankings, which have their pros and cons, there is no doubting that Ole Miss has the skill players and experience on the offensive line to make for a decent SEC offense—and arguably as much offensive talent they've had in one group in school history. '

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3544 ... g-services
twlong
Water Boy
Water Boy

I agree with that
optimism is more fun than dwelling on the past
dgmcdowe
2nd String
2nd String

got to test NCAA 08 the other day, and Snead is great.
done

Hold on now....reality check...the best group of offensive stars in our history????

We were 3-9 last year, lost our best RB and as far as starters go only really added an, as yet, unproven QB.

I think that we improve by 3 wins simply because we have a legitimate HC now, but we might not want to buy in to the superlatives too much...

I imagine BS probably looked good in video games as well 8)
RebelFIL
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

The 2007 team went 3-9, the 1997 team went 7-5 including the bowl victory over Marshall. I watched both teams carefully and believe the 2007 team was certainly better. The problem is that our opponents were a whole lot better than our 1997 opponents. If you need support, see Memphis Tigers last year; they went to a bowl game. Thank God for BenJarvis and Bruce, but the RB stable should be stronger this year and next than it was the past 2 years. Also, our OL and WRs are 1 year more experienced, and I believe Snead will at the very least equal Seth Adams, so our Offense has to improve. We have a 9-win team this year, but we play a 6-win schedule. We will need to pull some upsets to get above 6.
MtownRebel
3rd String
3rd String

Feel free to crucify me but BJGE was not the best RB on the team last year. Bruce Hall was just as serviceable and did not get nearly enough carries.

When O was fired and players were asked about Eason a few of them said something along the lines of "I do not know why Cordera did not play more last season, he proved himself in practice but was never given a chance."

Our WRs are great. Shay Hodge is a great possession receiver, Wallace will burn you deep, Dexter is a playmaker, Summers is great for run support and is a threat at WR too, Lionel Breaux is going to be the replacement to Wallace, and Jecarious Lucas and Hicks are still servicable if all these guys go down with injuries. Note, I am not including the freshmen in this.

QB is an improvement. Everyone says do not annoint him yet because he has not played in a real game. While this is true, he has played in plenty of practices and scrimmages and looked plenty capable to me in them. Schaeffer did not.

O-line is set with Oher, Jerry, Neely, Geralds, Miller, Harris, and company.

We may have one of the more underrated players in the SEC at FB in Jason Cook.

The only question mark I can see is at the TE position, but I feel good about Harris and Traxler and the incoming freshmen at the position.

Sorry this post is so disjointed and poorly written (thinking out loud in it) but I see no reason why we should not be excited about this offense.
maroby001
Scout Team
Scout Team

MtownRebel wrote:Feel free to crucify me but BJGE was not the best RB on the team last year. Bruce Hall was just as serviceable and did not get nearly enough carries.

When O was fired and players were asked about Eason a few of them said something along the lines of "I do not know why Cordera did not play more last season, he proved himself in practice but was never given a chance."

Our WRs are great. Shay Hodge is a great possession receiver, Wallace will burn you deep, Dexter is a playmaker, Summers is great for run support and is a threat at WR too, Lionel Breaux is going to be the replacement to Wallace, and Jecarious Lucas and Hicks are still servicable if all these guys go down with injuries. Note, I am not including the freshmen in this.

QB is an improvement. Everyone says do not annoint him yet because he has not played in a real game. While this is true, he has played in plenty of practices and scrimmages and looked plenty capable to me in them. Schaeffer did not.

O-line is set with Oher, Jerry, Neely, Geralds, Miller, Harris, and company.

We may have one of the more underrated players in the SEC at FB in Jason Cook.

The only question mark I can see is at the TE position, but I feel good about Harris and Traxler and the incoming freshmen at the position.

Sorry this post is so disjointed and poorly written (thinking out loud in it) but I see no reason why we should not be excited about this offense.
I'd say you hit the nail right on the head with this post. I have though the same things for a while now in regards to out offense and the only position I could even be worried about would be tight end. Call be crazy but even though Snead hasn't really played a game I still think he'll be a much better then Brent.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it's an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while, and you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.”
BigTrev34
All SEC
All SEC

Sounds about right. And theres no way Snead will be worse than Schaffer/Adams so were good.
twlong
Water Boy
Water Boy

Thats how I feel too. the offensive line is better than last year and our quarterback is too. Im sorry Adams was slow and had an ok arm the only reason he played over schaefer is because you cold tell him somethying and he would forget it by the time he ran back to the huddle. last year no one was worried about our air game and the running game had no break away speed. we just got a step up in both categories with snead and eason
optimism is more fun than dwelling on the past
done

MtownRebel wrote:Feel free to crucify me but BJGE was not the best RB on the team last year. Bruce Hall was just as serviceable and did not get nearly enough carries.

I agree that an argument could be made about Bruce Hall being the most serviceable RB, but BJGE was our most productive and proven running back.

I think that Eason could be better, but "could" is the operative word.

I am excited about our offensive potential this year, I am just cautioning (myself as much as anyone else) not to expect so much that we aren't happy with significant improvement that still might not reflect our offense as the "best in our school's history". That's all.

I am very excited, but shy of annointing us as "great" until we prove it on the field.

Hotty Toddy!
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

I wish that Bruce would have gotten 10-12 carries a game. That would have gotten him into the flow of the game better and he had the speed to possibly break a long one.

I think O gave BGJE the bulk of the carries to give him a shot at 1,000 yards. It was pretty obvious that O had his favorites on the team and Eason and Hall didn't get the carries they should have.
RebelConvert
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Redbluedude wrote:I wish that Bruce would have gotten 10-12 carries a game. That would have gotten him into the flow of the game better and he had the speed to possibly break a long one.

I think O gave BGJE the bulk of the carries to give him a shot at 1,000 yards. It was pretty obvious that O had his favorites on the team and Eason and Hall didn't get the carries they should have.
I think so, too...
We're not snobs... we're just better than you.
BigTrev34
All SEC
All SEC

I cant say anything bad about BJGE since he is gonna make the patriots as the 3rd or 4th RB.

http://www.patriots.com/depthchart.cfm
Heath
All American
All American

bleuwolfe wrote:Ole Miss Football: Testing the Stars—Offensive Ratings by Recruiting Services...

'Regardless of if you believe in the star rankings, which have their pros and cons, there is no doubting that Ole Miss has the skill players and experience on the offensive line to make for a decent SEC offense—and arguably as much offensive talent they've had in one group in school history. '

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3544 ... g-services
So ya'll are telling me that this offense will be better than that of the '03 team that won the Cotton Bowl and virtually carried the team (considering the defense showed up in only a couple of games that season). Ya'll do know that Eli Manning was the QB of that team, don't you?! And I thought Collins and Flowers were two really good receivers. And they are saying that the group this year is better than that. WOW 8O I am now officially pumped.
Townes
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

Heath wrote:So ya'll are telling me that this offense will be better than that of the '03 team that won the Cotton Bowl and virtually carried the team (considering the defense showed up in only a couple of games that season). Ya'll do know that Eli Manning was the QB of that team, don't you?! And I thought Collins and Flowers were two really good receivers. And they are saying that the group this year is better than that. WOW 8O I am now officially pumped.
No.

More talent.
Houston Nutt has done nothing but good things for Ole Miss. Until he does something bad, all your arguments against him are lost on us.