Scott Bittle coming back?

Baseball Related Discussions

Moderators: oxfordrebel, Rebel Security

Heath
All American
All American

My father just told me that Scott Bittle decided to skip out on going to the minors and is coming back to play another year. I was under the impression that he was a Senior this past season.

Have any of you heard this? If it is true, that is great.
MtownRebel
3rd String
3rd String

Heath wrote:My father just told me that Scott Bittle decided to skip out on going to the minors and is coming back to play another year. I was under the impression that he was a Senior this past season.

I have not heard this, but would be shocked if it were true. Hope your dad is right.
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

MtownRebel wrote:
Heath wrote:My father just told me that Scott Bittle decided to skip out on going to the minors and is coming back to play another year. I was under the impression that he was a Senior this past season.

I have not heard this, but would be shocked if it were true. Hope your dad is right.
It was reported last week in the CL that they (Bittle and Yankees) were having some contract negotiation problems. Bittle said that if they were not worked out that he may come back to Ole Miss. I figured he was using that as leverage and would get his contract worked out. I haven't heard anything since.
parrotreb
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter
Location: Got a Caribbean soul I can barely control and some Texas hidden here in my heart.

Yankees believe their post-draft physical has found a rather significant shoulder problem. Obviously, Bittle says he is fine and will pitch with the Rebels if the Yankees don't sign him to a contract that is appropriate for his ability, likely development and draft pick (read guaranteed money). Yankees have said you'll need surgery soon, if you don't change some things and want a lesser contract with a lot of incentives.

As I read the article last, I thought back to a pitcher that the Rangers had back in 99, Jeff Zimmerman. He had one good year wrapped around a devlishly hard breaking slider-type pitch. Made the All-Star team. After the Rangers gave him a big contract, he developed shoulder problems and basically hasn't been heard from since. I am not saying the Yankees are relying on the Rangers experience, because the Spankees have enough of their own. But this is going to be a huge hurdle for Bittle to overcome to get to the contract done.

So, there you have it.
You've just got to learn from the wrong things you've done. I came off the rebound, started looking around, figured out it's time to have a little fun.
Heath
All American
All American

parrotreb wrote:Yankees believe their post-draft physical has found a rather significant shoulder problem. Obviously, Bittle says he is fine and will pitch with the Rebels if the Yankees don't sign him to a contract that is appropriate for his ability, likely development and draft pick (read guaranteed money). Yankees have said you'll need surgery soon, if you don't change some things and want a lesser contract with a lot of incentives.

As I read the article last, I thought back to a pitcher that the Rangers had back in 99, Jeff Zimmerman. He had one good year wrapped around a devlishly hard breaking slider-type pitch. Made the All-Star team. After the Rangers gave him a big contract, he developed shoulder problems and basically hasn't been heard from since. I am not saying the Yankees are relying on the Rangers experience, because the Spankees have enough of their own. But this is going to be a huge hurdle for Bittle to overcome to get to the contract done.

So, there you have it.
That is pretty much what I read after some research on the internet. I have a friend that was the #1 draft pick of the Expos in 1997 (before the Expos were the Nationals) and they paid him nearly a million to sign. Then, due to a plethera of arm/shoulder injuries, he never saw the Majors. So, I can't blame the Yankees for being cautious. Although I wish the best for Bittle, I can't say that I won't be smiling to see him in a Rebel uniform again. :D
GtownRebel
All American
All American

Bittle was examined by Dr. Andrews and Dr. Andrews gave him a clean bill of health. He was aware of what the Yankees had said and looked in that area, finding nothing.

Bittle was a junior last year BTW.
MtownRebel
3rd String
3rd String

GtownRebel wrote:Bittle was examined by Dr. Andrews and Dr. Andrews gave him a clean bill of health. He was aware of what the Yankees had said and looked in that area, finding nothing.

Bittle was a junior last year BTW.
I have a friend on the softball team who has been doing rehab with Bittle on campus and she said that Bittle has some tearing in the front part of his shoudler that is common with nearly all baseball players and can be fixed by either surgery or building up the muscle around the tears. Bittle's tearing is not nearly severe enough to require surgery and is trying to improve his situation. She also said he is considering coming back, but does not know for sure what his final decision will be.