Most improved teams in college football this season

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

2. Ole Miss-Houston Nutt is a certain upgrade in coaching talent for Ole Miss this year. Nutt's Rah Rah attitude will certainly ignite some excitement in the locker room. Ed Oregeron did recruit very well at Ole Miss, so Nutt walked into a great situation. 16 starters return and the Rebs gain a huge pickup at QB in Texas transfer Jevan Snead. The top 14 leading tacklers all return on defense, so Tyrone Nix will have lots to work with. If Nutt will let Kent Austin run his offense, then this team certainly could be playing Jan 2 in Memphis.

http://dixiefriedsports.com/Most_Improved_Teams.html

That last sentence being the kicker..but I think we're going to have a more open offense than most expect (incl me). Anyway can't wait for 8/30. Go Rebels!
RebelConvert
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I am really loving all these articles... everything saying how we're improving, changing, evolving... it's awesome. Like I say, I just want to see it translate on the field and I'll be extatic!!
We're not snobs... we're just better than you.
RichmondVAReb
Scout Team
Scout Team

I read often where some people say we have the same ole players as last year and continue to lack experience at quarterback, so what's the big deal. Well, a lot has changed folks, so here are some thoughts that stand out in my mind about the difference this year might make (no givens here, especially when you consider the possibility of unexpected injuries as well as surprises when players actually start playing). (1) Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this the first year we have been even close to having a full 85 man roster in at least the last 4 years or more? I think that is correct, so that is a huge factor when you consider the depth of this year's team versus the prior few years with the limited numbers of players available. (2) Jevan Snead--a quarterback with much greater potential than apparently was available to us over the last 4 years, and he has some experience and has demonstrated his ability to deal with real game situations. (3) Jerrell Powe, Patrick Trahan, Enrique Davis and how many more new faces with great potential. (4) Coach Nutt's experience and enthusiasm combined with that of his staff, particularly Kent Austin and his award-winning experience with high powered offenses. (5) More experienced WRs with super talent. (5) Great returning defensive and offensive lines, not to mention lots of other returning talent both offensively and defensively. Are there any weaknesses? Yes, but if all the right things click, this could be a special year, and at the very least we should have a very competitive team who can surprise other teams.
done

RichmondVAReb wrote:I read often where some people say we have the same ole players as last year and continue to lack experience at quarterback, so what's the big deal. Well, a lot has changed folks, so here are some thoughts that stand out in my mind about the difference this year might make (no givens here, especially when you consider the possibility of unexpected injuries as well as surprises when players actually start playing). (1) Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this the first year we have been even close to having a full 85 man roster in at least the last 4 years or more? I think that is correct, so that is a huge factor when you consider the depth of this year's team versus the prior few years with the limited numbers of players available. (2) Jevan Snead--a quarterback with much greater potential than apparently was available to us over the last 4 years, and he has some experience and has demonstrated his ability to deal with real game situations. (3) Jerrell Powe, Patrick Trahan, Enrique Davis and how many more new faces with great potential. (4) Coach Nutt's experience and enthusiasm combined with that of his staff, particularly Kent Austin and his award-winning experience with high powered offenses. (5) More experienced WRs with super talent. (5) Great returning defensive and offensive lines, not to mention lots of other returning talent both offensively and defensively. Are there any weaknesses? Yes, but if all the right things click, this could be a special year, and at the very least we should have a very competitive team who can surprise other teams.
I agree with all of these things. I do caution against one thing and that is coordinator worship (I am not talking about you RichmondVAReb, but all of us). We hired Coach Nutt as the HC. Coach Nutt hired Kent Austin (hopefully that was his choice and not pushed upon him). I am as excited about Kent being back at Ole Miss as th rest of you, but this is Coach Nutt's team. His experience and success in the SEC has earned him the right to call the shots. We must judge him on wins and losses and not style of play. Steve Sloan's teams threw the ball all over the field and lost all over the south.

I don't ever want us to do to Coach Nutt what the Arky fans did to him, especially if we are winning. Kent Austin has proven himself as a successful coach in Canadian football. Houston Nutt has proven himself as a successfull coach in the SEC. Ole Miss plays in the SEC, not the CFL.

Let's be behind all of our coaching staff, but let's understand who the boss is and trust his judgment as he tries to bring us back to respectability and post season play.

Just a cautionery thought.....
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

RichmondVAReb wrote:I read often where some people say we have the same ole players as last year and continue to lack experience at quarterback, so what's the big deal. Well, a lot has changed folks, so here are some thoughts that stand out in my mind about the difference this year might make (no givens here, especially when you consider the possibility of unexpected injuries as well as surprises when players actually start playing). (1) Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this the first year we have been even close to having a full 85 man roster in at least the last 4 years or more? I think that is correct, so that is a huge factor when you consider the depth of this year's team versus the prior few years with the limited numbers of players available. (2) Jevan Snead--a quarterback with much greater potential than apparently was available to us over the last 4 years, and he has some experience and has demonstrated his ability to deal with real game situations. (3) Jerrell Powe, Patrick Trahan, Enrique Davis and how many more new faces with great potential. (4) Coach Nutt's experience and enthusiasm combined with that of his staff, particularly Kent Austin and his award-winning experience with high powered offenses. (5) More experienced WRs with super talent. (5) Great returning defensive and offensive lines, not to mention lots of other returning talent both offensively and defensively. Are there any weaknesses? Yes, but if all the right things click, this could be a special year, and at the very least we should have a very competitive team who can surprise other teams.
I'll add to your #4. Coach Nutt has been a Head Coach and he's a players coach. I doubt that Coach Nutt will have our players scrimmaging full contact on Thursdays or Fridays. Which is unheard of but I've heard that this happened with our last coaching staff. We even had players get hurt on Thurs. and/or Fri. during these workouts. No wonder we were out of gas in the 2nd half of ballgames. Talk about a meathead.
RebelConvert
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I've heard/read conflicting things about Nutt/Austin. Who is expected to actually call the plays? If someone could clear that up, I'd be grateful.

I wanted to add a couple of thoughts, as well. Nutt is not a first-year or starting out guy. He's got experience, which is something I believe we really need. Not saying he's God or anything, but experience goes a long way. And not only is he experienced in college ball, but he's experienced in SEC ball, and that's important given our previous record... y'all know where I'm going with that. I did my best to support the O-team, but I just don't think he knew what he was in for. Hopefully, Nutt can steer this ship right and get us to be a force to be reckoned with. I want SEC teams to fear the day they have to face off with the rebs...

Every passing day gets me more and more excited! :D
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

RebelConvert wrote:I've heard/read conflicting things about Nutt/Austin. Who is expected to actually call the plays? If someone could clear that up, I'd be grateful.

I wanted to add a couple of thoughts, as well. Nutt is not a first-year or starting out guy. He's got experience, which is something I believe we really need. Not saying he's God or anything, but experience goes a long way. And not only is he experienced in college ball, but he's experienced in SEC ball, and that's important given our previous record... y'all know where I'm going with that. I did my best to support the O-team, but I just don't think he knew what he was in for. Hopefully, Nutt can steer this ship right and get us to be a force to be reckoned with. I want SEC teams to fear the day they have to face off with the rebs...

I think they've both said that Nutt will ultimately call the plays. But I also think that Austin will influence the playcalling a lot. From all accounts I've read and heard, they get along well.
Some Random Dude
RebelConvert
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

lewindha wrote:
RebelConvert wrote:I've heard/read conflicting things about Nutt/Austin. Who is expected to actually call the plays? If someone could clear that up, I'd be grateful.

I think they've both said that Nutt will ultimately call the plays. But I also think that Austin will influence the playcalling a lot. From all accounts I've read and heard, they get along well.
Thanks. It should be interesting either way.
ekmjr1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Redbluedude wrote:
I'll add to your #4. Coach Nutt has been a Head Coach and he's a players coach. I doubt that Coach Nutt will have our players scrimmaging full contact on Thursdays or Fridays. Which is unheard of but I've heard that this happened with our last coaching staff. We even had players get hurt on Thurs. and/or Fri. during these workouts. No wonder we were out of gas in the 2nd half of ballgames. Talk about a meathead.
I think you hit the nail on the head with this one. The players checked out on O long ago, as he was just too tough on them. Football is a tough sport, but if your players don't like you, and feel you are a tyrant, then they aren't going to play for you. When a player likes his coach, he will dig deep for the extra bit of grit when it is needed most. That was lacking in all of O's teams, and it probably had a lot to do with why we couldn't finish off a lof of teams that we played really close.

If Nutt is the players coach we keep hearing about, it could make a huge difference in this years team. We know we have some talent, and we know Nutt can coach, and he's supposedy a "players coach". If all this comes together, we could see the 7, 8 or 9 wins that some people have forcasted. I'm holding back on that for now, and still think 5 or 6 wins is a big improvement, but I also don't think the 7 or 8 wins is out of the question. It all depends on how this team responds and how quickly Nutt can erase the bad memories of the past three years.
BigTrev34
All SEC
All SEC

Am I the only one that is thinking National Championship?
OMNOB
2nd String
2nd String

BigTrev34 wrote:Am I the only one that is thinking National Championship?
Yup, you stand alone.
"America is the New York Yankees of countries,powerful and respected until the year 2000"-Homer Simpson
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

A smart coach, adapts his 'style' to the strength of his team. Currently that strength resides in our WR. Since even CN says JS is a 'good one', then the offense should have more of a passing attack. If, however, we have 2 NFL 1st round draft picks at RB - then run the ###### ball! What's so hard to understand about that? I'm just tired of being the doormat for the SECW, so whatever it takes, baby - run, pass, or walk it - but win it. Let's put the FUN back in Saturdays, for gosh sakes!

New Rebel game face here :x
New Rebel post game face here :D
A10Rebel
3rd String
3rd String

BigTrev34 wrote:Am I the only one that is thinking National Championship?
Slow down there turbo.
dgmcdowe
2nd String
2nd String

Depends...I think Nat'l Championship often...rarely with the name Ole Miss as a precursor.